The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Another Osterlind thread » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I don't know how many people realise how bad this is for the Café in general. This was a professional who was really giving advice, who replied to every question you asked. It was a privilege and some people just didn't see it.
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
Thanks Richard for all your help and very nice and friendly words.
hope to have the chance to meet you here for a long, long time.

mario
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Disagreement is part of a healthy debate, but when it gets personal and, frankly, insulting then the dialogue ends up in the toilet and whatever the original topic gets lost and is replaced with tripe and crap.

I am no boot licker/brown noser, and have no personal benefits in praising Mr Osterlind. Simply put I have found that his materials, the two three set DVDs I have, as well as some of his written material, to be of great value to me insofar as developing my rather basic knowledge/skills of the craft.

There might be occassions where we differ, as to mode/method/attitude/etc. However that doesn't make me any more "correct" than it does Mr Osterlind.

For me personally, and I do recognise that this is a rather limited list, in comparisson to others; I place Mr Osterlind alongside Bob Cassidy, Max Maven, Lee Earle and Richard Webster as those that I turn to for instruction and for ideas of both development of routine, as well as in presentation.

I am not seeking to become a clone of either of these men, although there is an inmate who has chosen to become a "mini-me" of Mr Maven; I am however seeking to learn from their presentation skills, their relationship with the public, and other skills to learn from, adapt, modify and work into something that is better suited to Reuben Dunn.

Those who enjoy a p***ing contect should feel proud that their HTT attitude has apparently turned away one of the few craftsmen to take the time out of their schedule to both answer questions, but, as in the recent case, take the time to initiate a dialogue.

Given the demands on his time, this insult to Mr Osterlind beggers belief.

Yes he will do his bit and make anothe appearence as a "Guest" but for me at any rate I see that this is a watered down and frankly a wasted opportunity, and as it now appears, to be his "swan song" here for us to speak with one of the "leaders" in the mentalism arena.

I wonder what Ted Annemann would have thought about all of this?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I certainly cannot offer any more accolades than what has been posted but certainly would want my name addred to the "agree" & "kudos" list....

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
If Richard has left, it is a VERY sad thing indeed for all of us.

bugger.
PhilippO
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of PhilippO
Richard responded to my pms - and he was very kind and very helpful. I really appreaciate that.
thanks

Philipp
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
He has always been cordial even when it seemed some were being harsh.
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1002 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Richard has made me want to be a better man !
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Richard helped me out a lot in the early days. I am sure he will continue to help people out that ask. Maybe he just felt it was time to move on.

He did promise to send me an ultra board though and never did. So I say let's burn him!!

Only kidding of course. I hope he still lurks around and continues to help people when they PM him.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Wonderful!

After having seen both halves of the deck, everyone but one seem to have thought of the same high card!!
And only one single person mentions the the card he almost thought of!
:) Smile Smile

Anyone else who has received Richard's great help and advices??

Sven
dcullen30
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of dcullen30
Richard Osterlind has helped me so much this past year. He helped me put together my first show. He is a man with a big heart. He has gives great advice all the time and always has input. He always responds to every message. He was why I got into mentalism. Thanks Richard.
Dan
"Remember you are the one they are here to see. Walk out there with confidence and do what you love." -Richard Osterlind
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
Though not directly, Mr Osterlind has truly inspired and helped me along my mentalism walk, from the moment that a friend of mine gave me a tape to check out--my first thoughts where --wow a psychic wanna be, this must be comical-- but after watching Osterlind's mind misteries I was hooked.

And from all his tips, insights and comments on the Café, one would always find something new to learn from him. It's aboslutely rare that a highly acclaimed performer like him gives time and a piece of his hard earned experience to the newcomers and others not in his caliber. Can you tell me of how many pro people offer such insight to the others like he has? is like Tiger woods going down to the local golf club and giving tips and advice to all that ask.

Mr osterlind, you have brought this art to a higher level, and one could never show the sincere thanks for your contributions. I just hope that the few bad apples that have showed its face here do not tarnish the chance for the majority of us that sincerely listened.
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Richard has provided invaluable advice in both the Café forums and in PMs. No doubt too that his performances have inspired many - not to mention his products; BCS etc.

At the Café you have the choice of taking advice from a highly sucessful professional or from someone who has picked up "Mentalism in 10 minutes", performed for the family, and contends that their opinion on mentalism carries as much weight as Richard Osterlind's.

I know which queue I'd be in - the very, very, long one in front of Richard.

Cheers,
Nosher
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Photofnish
View Profile
Regular user
Issaquah, WA
140 Posts

Profile of Photofnish
I never had occasion to PM Mr. Osterlind with any specific questions, but I always had the feeling that he would be happy to help me if the time ever came. I have learned so much from his DVDs, essays and posts here at the Magic Café. His absence will be a huge loss. Thanks for all of your guidance, Mr. Osterlind.

-Lance

P.S. I saw something similar to this happen about two weeks ago on the one other internet forum I read. It's a fly-fishing board, and there was a long-time poster there who was also a very well-respected professional outdoor writer and a great help to anyone who sought his input. He was finally run off by a few bad apples...
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
If Richard has one iota of sense, then he won't give a jot what the armchair experts think.

Howard
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6472 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
There are just a handful of guys in mentalism that have inspired me and given me great ideas.... Richard is in that group.
I almost wished he had completely stayed out of this forum and making DVDs because I selfishly wanted to keep his ideas to myself.
I know I will continue to talk to him in other places, but it will still be a loss to many on this site. I can't help but feel that I would have loved to have had this chance to talk to someone like Richard when I was first starting out. Some people don't know how good they have it... until it's gone.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Before discovering this site I was fairly well read in the field of mentalism, so when I started posting and came across someone asking a very ill informed question I almost jumped in with a sarcastic reply, but Richard had got there first, his reply was courteous, dignified and practical.

He taught me a lesson there. Some other 'pros' and armchair snipers could learn a thing or two from that as well.

I pm'd Richard about the current debacle and he replied thanking me and offering his email adress if I wanted to contact him about anything mentalist related.

Not many people with his workload would do the same, and thus my point, maybe Richard needs a little break from this kind of headwork, I'm sure the door is always open to him.

Cheers, Corona.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Richard has helped me in many ways:

1. Through his books, primarily;
2. Through his DVDs, secondarily (but no less substantially);
3. Through his public contributions here;
4. Through private messages.

In every instance, he has been generous, patient, humble, and extraordinarily helpful. I couldn't ask for a better teacher.

--Josh
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
IT is only because of Richard that I ever considered the study of Mentalism as an Art. I mourn the fact that 21st century man has lost the respect and deference to a true master and teacher. In the past this could never happen. The perpertrator would be removed from the school in a fracture of a second. Thank you Richard for all ways speaking from the heart and from your experience.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of espmagic
You guys have missed the point: regardless of what happened in whatever thread it occurred, it is human nature to get cranky when someone else doesn't see the same world view that you do. The sad part is really that we, as professionals, amateurs, part-timers or simply newbees, cannot remember to withhold our venom, or if we cannot, and must unleash it, it should be done in private, so as to inhibit the addition of fuel to the fire.

I think there are a great many thinkers here at the Café, and I have seen many people spout off for no good reason other than a disagreement. When this happenes it recalls all of us to our grade school days - I am included here - when we would poke fingers and call names. Have we not grown past this yet?

Osterlind is in the top three professionals that I consider to be a worthy source of information, talent, creativity and friendship (although I am sure he does not know me). And I have thought this way since my first exposure to him some twenty years ago...a long time to have inspiration and creativity in one's life.

Comments?

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Another Osterlind thread » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL