The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Base Communication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I was thinking this afternoon, after workin on some new ideas, about different ways to cue the assistant, or whomever is inside a prop.

Some performers simply say "go", with the music to cover this.
Others know that when they feel the illusion start to spin, or perhaps suddenly stop, that it's time.

There are many different ways of doing this (including electronic communication devices), and I thought it would be fun to see some of the creative ways that people like to use.

So, How do YOU give the cue?

-Chris.
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
From a slight kick on the "box" to a more sophisticated electronic device (vibrator) to an LED red or blue lite. Different strokes for different folks.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
With all due respect, I think the way the question is framed it reveals too much for this open forum!

Jack
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
We just say now. The music covers the voice.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Chris, Give me a buzz sometime we can chat about it.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Paxmentis! Did you say you used a "sophisticated electronic device (vibrator)" to signal?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I like the sound of that. There's no question as to whether or not it's time when you see a light flash and get a shock in the behind.
sidekick
View Profile
New user
Texas
20 Posts

Profile of sidekick
I'm surprised that Pax Mentis didn't share with you the high tech device (no longer considered classified)he acquired from his friend who works at JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, CA). It's a small (size of a car remote) that emits a lazer-like signal that can displace matter and be seen from within an enclosed area (Illusion) with no noise involved. He was fortunate enough to acquire the original proto type. Apparently JPL wanted a lazer that would emit a penetrating signal with a range of a couple hundred yards. This unit had a maximum range of 25 feet.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I'm working on an invention for a unit that I call "The Smacker". When you push the button (actually a small pedal at the bottom of one of the legs), a large plastic hand gives them a sturdy "wake up", upside the head.

Once the smacker is complete, I will be coming out with "The Squirter" for those heavier sleepers. With routines getting longer these days and assistants falling asleep in there, you need something to wake them up. It should work great in conjunction with the smacker. A strong burst of water followed by a good strong wack to the head.

It's also a wonderful form of "assistants revenge", for when you are waiting to make your grand appearance.

Chris.

(Before I get a couple PM's about this one, yes I was merely joking!)
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Ppppphahahahhahha Smile that's great
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
We've done LEDs several times.... Red light=stay where you are. Green light=move.
These work well for effects using CEOs, guest stars, etc.
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
My assistant found a great way to do this (and this is a true story). May I say, she's an expert in base communication. Once while we were having a looong rehearsal in a theatre, she was waiting for quite some time hidden in a l**d c*********t of the opening illusion while I was arguing with the light guys. She sort of got used to it as we had problems with the light guys since day 1 of the rehearsals. So, I guess, she prepared herself for spending a loooooooooooong time "packed up". The illusion is such (Blam-o-box type of thing) that I'm the one causing her to appear... Anyway, after a looooooooong argument I decide that we can't start the rehearsal, I decide (but without saying so) to release her in order to have a break while the light guys do what they were supposed to, so I lift the lid, the box falls apart, and guess what - she's appears with a cell phone sending an SMS to her friend. I think for Origami (as her hands are pretty much imobile in there), she uses a phone with a wireless headset, so that she could gossip with her friends. I'm telling you, technology is so advanced nowadays! And another thing... Don't bother breaking your head on how to communicate with ur assistant in the base or box... Just ask your assistant and she will find a solution for sure. Women can communicate (in order to chit-chat)even from another planet, so they'll find a solution... I'm thinking of building a TV set with a DVD player into my sub trunk so that she can watch the movies with Kevin Costner or so. Any ideas on that?
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
I was thinking of useing an old beeper somehow and put it on vibrate.
Cameron
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I think the ideal situation would be for all cast members to have an earpiece. All that has to happen is one of the the ASM's has to sit up in the booth and make the calls.

I do however like the LED light idea as well.

Chris.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Hey diamond, cool story. Did she was actually speaking while in her spot? Mmm, sounds a little weird, huh? What happens if the music stops suddenly, or something like that? The audience would hear her while she is supposed to have dissapeared!!
Most people (me included) can´t even drive while talking through a cell phone! Now Imagine assisting on an illusion and using your cell phone at the same time!! Women do keep surpising me!! LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Base Communication (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL