The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » If You Could Do A Gambling Movie (Like Shade) What Would You Like In It? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Picture this you have the money, the cameras the go ahead to make a movie like Shade what kind of scenes, cons, gambling moves or famous lines would you like to have put into your movie in order to make it a hit?

All ideas and plots are welcomed.

Doc
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That will take some thinking about Doc. But make it as real to life as you can. It will be better than shade and every other card and con film I have seen.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
I would like a professional 3 Card Monte con done on a Monte box that I saw in the Scoundrel's DVD.

Doc
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Perhaps if the story evolves around the charachter rather than the moves and the gambling scenes. The center of the story must focus on the life of the "cheat" . Why does he do it? The other side of the character off the table. The lay audience don't care much about Vernon, Miller, Marlo etc....

I saw the movie and enjoyed it because I am a student of card magic and gambling moves. It was never a hit because it only pleased a particular market.

If I wanted it to be a box office hit and had the resources, I would pop in guys like Russel Crowe, Nicole kidman and Have Quentine Tarrantino direct it. Yeah, have De Niro do a cameo maybe .

The general viewing public must be considered .

As Tommy has posted , a biography of a real Cheat is a good idea. Provided that he indeed had a colorful life on and off the table.

Take it easy Doc,and welcome back to the Café!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Rannie that was a nice write up I wish more would write their ideas. Don't forget people that this is your movie not mine so Rannie you can have any character you wish to play any roll that you want.

Doc

P.S. I was always here there was just nothing to write about so I didn't.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Hey Rannie, great post!! I would also like to include carefully coreographed roulette scams(sleight of hand and hi tech) as well as some dice scams(switches in slow mo, mabee even in b/w)I would also have some of the scams from the surveillance viewpoint(camera) and the exposed angles switching back and fourth in slow mo for the audience to understand... Other games might also include big baccarat scams, 3 shell game, 3 card monte, pickpocketing and some jedi mind tricks that will work on the audience (something like the pink elephant in denver trick but much shorter and less complicated)
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would like to the scene which Ed Marlo describes on his DVD, where he is talked into going out to cheat and when it comes to it the guy is that nervous he can not even cut the cards.
In life I have seen guys freeze at the table and it has happened me. I have never seen the terror of cheating portrayed in a movie. It would good to see that side it. I have seen a guy be physical sick after cheating it scared him that much. I am fed up of seeing the cardsharps in films being as smooth as silk and acting like there is nothing to it. When ever I see films about crime, the thief never as any fear but in real life stealing is scary.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
How about this...

Dave The Great is a professional magician, making his living working the tables at a family restaurant three times a week plus any weddings and kid's parties he can scrape together. He does his thing with the spinning bow tie and the card vest.

Dave is a pretty good card mechanic but only uses his skills for entertaining the folks down at the Stuff Yer Face Steakhouse. One day, local small time mobster Vito Demarino comes to the Stuff Yer Face for his nephew's birthday and Dave wows him with his card stuff.

Vito hits on a great idea, Dave will teach Vito how to cheat at cards so Vito can clear a few old debts by scamming the local card rooms. Dave tries to get out of it telling Vito that you need TWO people to make a succesful cheat. So Vito hits on the idea that he Dave play the tables together and makes it very hard for him to say no. (if you catch my drift) Dave tries to convince them a card cheat and a card magician are two very different things but Vito won't listen....

So Vito keeps Dave neck deep in trouble with organised crime and the magician has to use all his skills as a performer and sleight of hand master to get himself out of the mess.

The key to the film's success would be to have a uncool, geeky magician (like most of us) trying to hold his own amongst the gangsters. Perhaps he makes them all balloon animals at one point......

I'm reminded of the Clown College episode of The Simpsons....
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Set it back in the 16th century, instead of now.
tjo'
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Two very good looking people get involved with the world of the card shark ( a guy and his girl). A Plot with a good story. Less slang being said by people that have no idea what their talking about.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Murphy Snow"

A young writer, Penny Hack, seeks out legendary hustler Murphy Snow.
She eventually find Murph, now in his eighties and using a different name, living in the deep south. After some bantering Murph agrees to tell his story.
A tale of cons, scams, hustles and people Murph met unfolds taking the audience thru the countrysides, back rooms and dark allies of major cities.

Cast:
Murphy Snow - Sean Penn.
Murphy Snow as a boy - ?.
Sam Cross - Billy Bob Thorton.
Penny Hack - Lili Taylor.

Ok, so this is set up like "Interview With A Vampire".
Yiannis
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago USA
349 Posts

Profile of Yiannis
How about the life of Erdnase? How he got into the world of hustling, how he developed his skill, how he worked the tables alone...
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Jaz: How will you get Sean Penn to look like a eighty year old man? If you could, he could also play himself as young Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-07-04 10:41, Samuel wrote:
Jaz: How will you get Sean Penn to look like a eighty year old man? If you could, he could also play himself as young Smile

Makeup??
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
353 Posts

Profile of Andrei
Tommy - In "The Sting", the famous cold deck done by Doyle Lonnegan (I think?) ends with the camera filming his shaky hands under the table, which I thought was a nice touch. It's subtle, but it's there.

Also, in "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" the main character cheats but finally ends up losing a half million pounds. He is consequently sick. I'm not sure if it was the cheating or the loss, but chronologically: he got sick after he cheated.

Doc - I would include scenes in which the cheater practices his moves. When the actual move was done in the game, I would cut to 3-4 different occasions on which he would be doing it in the privacy of his own room.
I would also think it professional if the amount of exposure (real work, and next-to-real work as well) was kept to a comfortable minimum. It's a tough highwire to balance, but if exposure is relatively frowned upon on a message board visited almost entirely of magicians, laymen should be bestowed no priviledges.

Cheaters cheating cheaters would be a nice scene as well.

Andrei
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
I would actually seriously consider doing some "exposure", something the like of what was done in Shade. The reason for this is that I would probably wish to build the film up like this:

A young dude playing poker with friends. Just for fun. He decides to try to figure out techniques to earn more money playing poker. Then follows a lot of training, where we can se that the moves is difficult to master. One shot, with lots of quick editing, where you can se him practising the same move from after dinner until dark and until the next morning. Just to portray the difficulty of the cheating.

Then of course, the difficult part of the movie - making it interesting for the "commonman". There I have nothing to add, most of the ideas already mentioned is good Smile My own idea could probably fit into some of your ideas as well - I don't know.

In regards to cheating, my objective was only to show that it is possible, but incredibly difficult, to master it.
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
First of all I found it HILARIOUS that Shade used some EXACT LINES from The Sting. Remember when The Dean gets the call telling him what decks are being used? He says, "Good work JJ" and tossed one of each color into his bag. I starred in the stage version of the Sting and played the role of Henry Gondorff.....hence I recognised this immediately...word for word.

I would make a movie about a young card shark who gets through life performing magic for local events. When some great personal tradgedy happens (Such as a death or an exploding house), he needs to make some money fast. He grabs a couple Pickpocketing DVD's and gets to work. His life soon turns to cheating at cards and pickpocketing in busy subway stations.

Life smacks hims in the face when he sits down across the table from a knee shakingly gorgeous redhead who beats the pants off of him. Destined to find out who she was, he goes on a hunt. As it turns out she's the daughter of world Famous magician "Hug Denning". After a bunch of interesting movie stuff, he turns his life around and they end up together performing magic for the rest of their lives. Probably donating a bunch of money to preventing whatever cause put him in trouble in the first place.

Hmmm....I should come up with bas movies more often!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Andrei

Thanks, I never noticed that touch in the Sting, which was a great because it came close to the real thing. It was based on real guys and that cold deck was switch was a real move. These small things gave it class.

Yiannis

I do like true life stories and Doc would love to see the The Phantom, Walter Scott on the big screen but I would love to see Scott or Erdnase in fact I would to see both made.

I like Rannie would also like see it directed by Quentine Tarrantino.

Also Vernon and his search for cardsharps and their moves would make a good film. You could get a mix of magic and cheating in that, with lots of card work in it.
Tom Cruze is a big magic fan. I am still waiting for that film about Maskerlyne that he was said to making. When is that out?

Tommy

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Now that is a GOOD movie chris_stolz.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
Problem with all this talk is someone will take them and write a script and make a million and no one here will see a dime. Don't give away what you can sell. All the plots sound good but you get away from what make a movie commercially viable. Think about the character first and his skill last. You have to sell his emotional roller coaster not the moves involved to show him as a good cheat. Something going wrong in his life and him taking up cheating is good but concentrate on his emotions not on his practice to become a better cheat. Also the plot for the magician and mob as a comedy can work. Somebody write the script already. If Doc asked for ideas I wouldn't be surprised if he's taking up script writing. After all selling a script is also a game of chance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » If You Could Do A Gambling Movie (Like Shade) What Would You Like In It? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL