The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Pure" mind reading sources.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spiritx2005
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of spiritx2005
I have been studying a lot of linguistics and hypnotic techniques for a while now and I want to continue my study into the area of "Pure" mind reading. By this I mean those effects that can be played out through sheer psychological influence i.e the coin game, rock paper scissors, verbal forces and ultimately to hone it to discovering what number a person is thinking of and things like that by use of body reading and advanced lip reading (in the throat)etc.......

Does this area of mentalism have a specific name and if not then I dub thee "Pure Reaading".

Anyone suggestions about good books or vids or anything useful would be really appreciated.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein ...
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Indeed, the psychological aspects of mentalism are fascinating.

Look up psychological subtelties by Banachek (and do look at 'psychophysiological thought reading', his excellent work on muscle reading), and Pure Effect and the Devil's Picturebook by Derren Brown. Also some of Kenton Knepper's material, and that of Luke Jermay would fit the bill.

That said, much of that aspect of mentalism is not 100% sure fire- it is worth mixing these 'risky' effetcs in with solid, surefire mentalism, for a more rounded routine.

Any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
968 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Ahm... I just want to add one thing. Don't believe everything Derren says Smile
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
scarbo
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of scarbo
Quote:
On 2005-07-04 09:39, spiritx2005 wrote:
...and ultimately to hone it to discovering what number a person is thinking of and things like that by use of body reading and advanced lip reading (in the throat)etc.

I'd forget about that, if I were you. Mr. Brown has a lot to answer for... Smile
spiritx2005
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of spiritx2005
Well, thanks for the replies. sjdavison, that was especially useful thank you.

As for rick and scarbo, I appreciate your warnings and I get the impression that you are perhaps implying the use of stooges/set-ups or possibly pre-work with the subjects. I'll take this under advisement although I can say that from the calibration excersises (sp?) from NLP I have been doing for a while I have found that it is quite possible to actually learn these feats in a genuine manner.

It takes a lot of time to learn but after about 20 minutes of calibration with a subject I can quite consistently tell them if they're thinking of (for example):

-a truth or a lie
-a number between 1 and 5 (inclusive)
-a male or female friend
etc...

It IS possible, it just takes much practice and a patient attitude. The real key is to STOP trying to gauge what a person FEELS inside from their body reads i.e stop associating a smile with happiness (people smile to hide things), a grimace with discomfort etc.... and start observing the physical behaviour WITHOUT giving it any meaning at all.

For example a smile would simply be: corners of mouth turning up, eyes creasing slightly, showing teeth (either upper, lower or both) etc... You just state what you physically see. After doing this regularly for a few months you begin to quickly learn the different types of people and how they represent the outside world inside their minds.

However, I do appreciate that a lot of the explanations Derren offers for his work are red-herrings and I also appreciate the fact that you guys are looking out for me and trying to keep me on the real path rather than "down the garden path".

Thanks all.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein ...
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
968 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Oh, nice that you realised it. But one more thing:
NLP techniques do work, no doubt. But they are not surefire. A performer HAS to use surefire methods (yes, sometimes a bit risk can be fun and I have nothing against it), but they have to have a working show that they can perform every night without being afraid that anybody in the audiences messes it all up. And don't alienate your audience with the use of too much NLP!
With that in mind, good luck, have fun and if you need help, this is the place to ask

p.s.: There are almost no books available for psychological effects you mentioned. But if I were you, I would check out Knepper and Jermay.
Greetz Rick
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
169 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
Best book I have read on these matters is Banacheck's Psychological subtleties....the next one on my list is one called "Sleight of Mind"....

Bob Cassidy has a nice impromptu Living/Dead (childhood friend) impromtu effect, Pencil reading is fun and Progressive Anagrams (something more sure fire)are good
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
I recommend Daniel Love's "Dream Signs." It IS pure mind reading.
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
169 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
I'm not familiar with Dream Signs.........is it a technique that could be applied to a number of different routines or is a stand alone effect for revealing a spectators Zodiac sign?
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
It is a stand alone rutine for revealing a thought of Zodiac sign. But the concept behind the effect may stimulate you to build up your own effects. It could create real miracle. I insist. If you are interested in pure mentalism stuff, you gotta check this out.
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
One thing the NLPers consistently remind each other, but those who have come to the study via mentalism tend to always overlook: "These are tools, not rules."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Pure" mind reading sources.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL