The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Razor Blades (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Hey I was wondering if this effect was safe, or if it was very dangerous? Also could it be repeated in a tablehopping/strolling situation? Would it be ok for a restaraunt setting or would it be offesnsive? and lastly should I buy the effect by itself or the geek magic dvd? is there any difference between the two? Thanks!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Not sure its appropriate for tablehopping. Clean up could be extensive.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I would imagine that geek magic and restaurant hopping, in general, don't mix.
The majority of people probably would not want to see gross or similar type effects while eating, although, it might work at times, depending on the venue.
I haven't tried the razor blade thing myself, honestly. I actually have a set of cheapies I bought 12 years ago, the ones that come in a himber type case, some of those puppies are sharp - I've cut my fingers on them just handling the case - but the ones that go in are dulled.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Restaurant appropriateness test:

Would it be OK at your sweet old granny's (insert your favorite holiday) dinner table?
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Thanks for the help, well regardless I'd still use it for strolling or at the very least for friends and family. Can anyone answer my other questions? Thanks
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
First, I find the term "Geek Magic" offensive... It is ignorant and erronious! Now for answers, just what do you want to do with the razor blades? Eat them, thread them, or something else? I made my living for many years in restaurants and was always aware of the sensitivity of the Diner/Patron, first and then the house. I'm an old sideshow worker and do what you are talking about for real, and I would be appalled if some idiot bled, real or fake at my table.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
There are more than a few ways of doing the razor blade effect. Some ARE dangerous! Others are not. I would never consider doing one in a resturant dangerous or not. The owners could be held liable should someone faint and fall to the ground. When you are hired you ARE a professional. Should the owner get sued, the next step would be for him to sue you to get his money back! After all he has no idea you are doing this! What if people send their food back because now they aren't hungry? If a small child saw you do what you are doing and attempts to be like you, what then? Please be very careful about what you do for the public!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Yes ok thank you, like I infered in my other post I won't do this in a restaraunt. Sanscan, I mean the one when you put 3 or 4 blades in your mouth along with a string and pull them out strung together.

Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
The gaffed ones are fairly safe, but a little care is needed. Avoid blood effects especially in restaurant settings... There is a set-up and you need presentation skills.
Slim
1000 posts, I think. I need a life! <G>
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
FADE
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles,CA
135 Posts

Profile of FADE
Hey NightBringer 89,

You might want to look into "The Razor Blade Illusion" by David Powell, The effect includes a nice display stand and everything needed to perform the effect. Also, try looking into "Automatic Razor Blades" (which is the one I possess, much easier to perform close up - it can even be performed surrounded. It is the best 'one' of it's kind and will never fail you - whew!). Firstly and foremost I would never, ever perform the 'razor blade illusion' in a restaurant setting. secondly, be very aware of any material you may obtain via internet or books explaining how to make 'gaffed' razors for the illusion. Use your " NOGGEN " and consider to spend a bit more for an effect that is already for you to perform than taking a risk - DON'T DO IT!

Nuff sed,

Fade
"Change the way you see things and the things you see will change."
Bizarre
View Profile
New user
USA
23 Posts

Profile of Bizarre
I would recommend the DVD "Razor Blade Magic" from Murphy's. It is excellent. There is danger in putting a blade in your mouth. Gaffed still can cut, and I would hate to think of what would happen if one swallowed even a gaffed blade. The problem I have with the standard stringing blades is that it is just too impossible. I simply "eat" 4 blades - I think that is (barely) within the realm of believability. It also is impromptu.

Also, this DVD has a GREAT cup & razor blade routine and many other routines that MAY be suitable for a restaurant work and far different than the standard string/razor effect. If you are interested in Razor work, this is by far the best I was able to find. Head and shoulders above any other similar material.

I did 4-5 restaurants a week for a few years, and the problem I have with razor work & restaurants, is it involves body fluids (saliva if not fake blood) and if performed in front of children it could cause them to try something dangerous.

On the other hand, I use razors for walk around and college shows. It works VERY well - and I never use fake (or real) blood with them. People WILL remember you and your act, but it will be as a freak.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
You could probably get away with doing the razor blades in a restaurant...if it was the dining hall at a barber's school. It's a limited market, but you have to go where the money is.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-07-04 21:23, sanscan wrote:
First, I find the term "Geek Magic" offensive... It is ignorant and erronious! Now for answers, *snip*
Slim

Hey, I'm a geek and I find that you find that term offensive offensive ! Smile
Read that 3 times fast ! Smile
Seriously though Slim, the primary reason I typed that is because I had probably just watched Thomas Medina's "Geek Magic" DVD, which has among other things, razor blade "swallowing/threading".
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
NightBringe:

I transitioned from the pins to the razor blades at about 16, for me, it was the perfect anytime, anywhere effect. There are basically two ways to treat the blades to make it safer to perform, PM me and I'll give you both methods.

There are a variety of methods out there to accomplish this effect, some require additional props, others basic SOF, do you already have a method for this?

Sid Fleischman's The Charlatan's Handbook has a nice variation that can be adapted to strolling. It is the simplest method I have come across.

The reaction you get from this effect is mixed. Some enjoy it, some are shocked, some just want to get as far away as possible. (Especially if you use the blade scraping the teeth bit.)

Tony
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are two routines that I really like. One is the one in John Booth's book, The John Booth Classics, which looks like it is completely unprepared. The other is Potassy's, which is in the new Potassy book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Atrophy
View Profile
New user
Canton, Ohio
5 Posts

Profile of Atrophy
I own the Geek magic DVD and personally, the only thing I use is the Indian Bean Mystery. The razor blade swallowing seems like it would take too many precautions for me to perform it. I would try it, but probably not in a restaurant. There are some other cool tricks on the DVD, so if you were to buy it, you would get extra stuff with the razor blade swallowing. Thomas Medina is somewhat annoying to watch, he uses the same lines over and over. But overall, this dvd is pretty good. It has some decent material. Only get it if you seriously want to gross people out.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I've enjoyed seeing Tomas perform live on a number of occasions, and I must say that the Geek Magic DVD does not do him justice (and I told him so). He is a very funny person who is cabable of performing surprisingly deceptive magic. Unfortunately, his blade routine is not one of these. The "work" occurs at exactly the wrong moment, as readily seen in the performance section of the video.

For some reason, it seems rather difficult to track down coherent and useful writing on this effect. I'm in the process of putting together a review of Helter Shelter, a booklet dedicated to the razor blades, for another Web site. Alas, coherent and useful are not much in evidence in this booklet.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Quote:
On 2006-03-03 18:02, Bill Palmer wrote:
There are two routines that I really like. One is the one in John Booth's book, The John Booth Classics, which looks like it is completely unprepared. The other is Potassy's, which is in the new Potassy book.

Paul Potassy's razor blade routine that Bill mentioned is fantastic. I was lucky to see his show a couple times in 1971 when I was 13 years old. I can still vividly remember that routine and until I got his recently released book I had absolutely no idea how he accomplished it. There is a reason his eating of the blades looks so real. I certainly couldn't bring myself to attempt his method though.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I seem to recall that Terry Rogers had some published work on the razor blades. Anyone remember which book?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
David's right about Helter Shelter. There was a thread, not too long ago, that plugged it, and I bought it.

It's a mishmash of material, all of which can be found elsewhere, done better. I'm rarely disappointed with books. Even a good rehashing can offer good insight. I usually reread new books a couple of times, and have an ongoing pile of rereads. This went straight to the bookshelf.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Razor Blades (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL