The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mindpower Deck Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have a couple of questions from those more adept then I at this style of effect...

1) How do you deal with a spectator who either lies about what card they saw or mistakes one card for another? This problem also occurs in a lot of booktests. I saw the MOAB flop because the person misread the word!

2) What sort of wording do you use when p***ing? Currently I say "I'm going to tell you some thing about your card but please feel free to tell me if I'm wrong." I then say "It was high card wasn't it?" rather then "Was it a high card". When I get the no I act surprised, try and pull myself together, concentrate for a second and name the card. I'm keen to avoid it appearing as if I am just narrowing it down. I had a spectator say the other night (who was at another table and not paying attention) "I say that mind reading thing. You just did it by process of elimination."

:(
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Nicholas: Derren Brown has some wonderful advice on the Mind Power Deck as part of his routine, SMOKE. It's the best thinking I've seen on the subject. I'd suggest you look there, and perhaps your questions will all be answered.

- entity
dog
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of dog
For help with the wording you use, I also recommend Derren Brown's Smoke effect and also Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck performance from Mind Mysteries. Both give good advice and usually avoid yes/no answers.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'll check it out!

Since I'm asking advice on this routine I'm hardly in the position to be putting too many ideas out there but I did strike upon this MAGICAL presentation for this (or any eight stack) deck.

Its certainly NOT mentalism but it would suit a lot of magicians I think.

I posted it in Secret Sessions (NOT inner thoughts)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......37&0
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-07-06 22:11, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I have a couple of questions from those more adept then I at this style of effect...

1) How do you deal with a spectator who either lies about what card they saw or mistakes one card for another? This problem also occurs in a lot of booktests. I saw the MOAB flop because the person misread the word!

2) What sort of wording do you use when p***ing? Currently I say "I'm going to tell you some thing about your card but please feel free to tell me if I'm wrong." I then say "It was high card wasn't it?" rather then "Was it a high card". When I get the no I act surprised, try and pull myself together, concentrate for a second and name the card. I'm keen to avoid it appearing as if I am just narrowing it down. I had a spectator say the other night (who was at another table and not paying attention) "I say that mind reading thing. You just did it by process of elimination."

:(

2. Pumping in an obvious manner can cause people to think too much afterwards. Even though the spectator was wrong in your method of getting the right card, it did put a tarnish on the "mystry". I might suggest making your pumps a bit more vague, perhaps "seeing" the card in your mind, describing the shape, if it's a number card, or perhaps the person, if it's a face card; e.g., "I am seeing Alice in Wonderland...ah..There's a Queen wearing bright colours isn't it?" Or describing the shape, Heart, Club, Spade, Diamonds etc.

Or, rather than pump, perhaps doing a drawing of the card, or if you know in advance what the card is going to be, ala Chronolgue, have a jumbo card hidden that you can pull out as a revelation.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mindpower Deck Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL