The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prediction trick – can you solve this one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

milbogo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of milbogo
Hi all,
I am a new, newbie to this whole new world of metalism.
I was drawn to it by an event my friend experienced – which I want to learn more about. If anyone would be kind enough to help. Actually, he is a little freaked, as he believes some sort of “more than magic” happened.

This is his experience.

He was in an Asian country on holiday, when he was approached by an Indian man claiming to know his fortune – and claimed that he was going to experience wealth in the next few months. The Indian man wrote down a date on a piece of paper, and placed it in a book in front of him. My friend noticed that the paper was placed inside the book, next to a picture of a dragon (I am not sure if this is significance ie subliminal stimuli).

The man kept on talking to my friend, about his fortune to come. The man opened the book, and placed the paper in my friend’s hand. The man then asked him to think of a “garden flower”, then a number between 7 and 10. The flower he chose was a rose and the number 7.

My friend was then asked to open the paper – which had the words rose 7 written on it,in the same writing as the date (this time there was no date). It was written in pen, so there was no lead in the fingernail trick.

Summary of routine:
Date written on paper.
Paper placed in book (next to picture of dragon).
Paper taken out and placed in viewers hand.
View asked to choose garden flower and number between 5 and 7.
Rose and number 7 chosen
Paper viewed with words rose and seven written on it.

Any suggestions?

What throws me out is that the paper was in my friend’s hand before he asked the flower and number question.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I would like to relieve my friend’s mind that it wasn’t supernatural (maybe it was?). Furthermore, would love to learn the routine.

Kindest regards,
Mil.

Ps – He was asked for a donation at the end of it.
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
Go and ask ten people to think of a garden flower and a number between 1 and 10 and I think you may have your answer..

And bare in mind that if your friend had picked a tulip and the number two and it not worked would he have told you the story?
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
7 and rose... very classical choice Smile
there are no elephants in denmark
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Sorry milbogo, but the guys are spot on. To prove this, why not do a little excercise and try this out. Remember, it's not the the misses that matter, it's the hits. And anyway if you look at it logically... he only had a choice of 4 numbers as opposed to say any number between 1 and 10,000. And as for flowers, off the top of our heads we only really think of roses, daffodils and... there y'go, I can't think of anythin else! ( and I'm a f****ng florist!!!)

Bobser. (seeker of truth, n'things)
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"there are no elephants in denmark"

I guess the American circus never goes there then!

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
milbogo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of milbogo
Thanks guys,

I just thought he'd be a little more creative and not use a routine that could go wrong easily. Heck, if you he was doing it to impress and to make money, there are other great mentalism routines out there where you could impress almost 100 percent of the time.

So, I am learning that rather than being super clever, maybe he was not so clever.
thanks for the responses.

Cheers.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
It is quite clever to take a small risk in order to frequently perform the impossible. As Paul mentioned above if he picked a tulip its just a non event and there are plenty of other things to say and other people to go and ask.
Like a good mentalist he didn't say what was going to happen before hand . But he was ready to cash in on the fortunate outcome!
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Simple psychologocal force.Similiar ones are think of a European city with a famous landmark,and a counrty beginning with A.Some peole are easy to amaze!!
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Paris and Australia.

How did I do?

"if he picked a tulip its just a non event and there are plenty of other things to say and other people to go and ask."

Not only that, but he may have had a planned continuation with the same spectator in the event of a partial or complete miss. This may have been part of what you were saying, but I just wanted to clarify the point.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
There are a lot of things you are overlooking. First of all, why put the paper in the book? Obviously its to switch in the proper slip for the flower and number revelation. I say that he put the paper in a book that had lots of pages with pictures of a dragon. You psychologically pick up on the dragon and he simply opens the book to the proper dragon page and takes out the paper that matches the flower and number picked. And as said before, there are really only a few outs.
One last thing, is that I am willing to bet that he put the paper in his hand AFTER he named the flower and number. Memory is such a fickle thing and is easilly manipulated.

Chad
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
...and why and how did the date disappear from the slip?

Apparently this is an 'indian' thing, as the same thing happened to me outside of Trader Joe's on 3ed, here in LA about 6-8 months ago. Hindu-ish looking gentleman, stopped me on the street and went into his schtick...the thing went along about as the above, but sloppier. This guy had my number circled. The verbal thing was a hustle, and somewhen along the talk he went into a fast 'How much money will you give me? Will you give me twenty dollars if I am right?" that he later went back to to twist my arm into agreeing that I agreed to give him money.

Very slick, all told, and it impressed me with the gypsy-con blatent style. Have never seen him back there, but would have loved to have recorded the hustle for prosterity.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Greg if you open that envelope marked prediction.......LOL
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Why couldn't you guys let Mil simply enjoy the mystery of not knowing for a while?Can you not recall the first time you were knocked on your rump by a good effect.The feeling of astonishment is a fantastic thing.It seems that you are all somehow afraid of magic..what a shame..

John
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
[quote]On 2005-07-07 19:42, John Smetana wrote:
The feeling of astonishment is a fantastic thing.It seems that you are all somehow afraid of magic..what a shame..

Dear John,
I totally agree.
While I do not understand the whys of it, it seems that many of us have a "fear" of magic.
Everything has to be rational and explainable.
It seems to take the "magic" out of life.
Very sad, indeed.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
milbogo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of milbogo
It is great if magic is presented as magic - I don't have a problem with that. The problem I have, is when it is presented as "super natural" - which can understandbly scare people. For this reason, I am requesting further knowledge.

Also, it is easy for you guys to comment, as you have a clearer understanding of how things work - but don't forget the days you guys were curious and were eager to learn.

I have already experienced the "magic" - now I simply want to learn more, so I too can "share" the magic with others, and have the enjoyment of watching their faces and smiles. There is no harm in that, is there??

And I can tell you, I will sell it as magic and enjoyment, and not something that can scare people...

All this seems like a beatiful art, as long as it is kept beautiful and creative, rather than using an unnecessary fear component.

Also, I don't want to know for rationalisation sake - believe me, I am as airy fairy as it gets - I like magic in life - I just want to learn a little to share it with others.

Cheers.
Antelope
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Antelope
Since the secrets already been given I may aswell add my tuppence worth on this one.

Quote:
On 2005-07-07 08:30, milbogo wrote:
I just thought he'd be a little more creative and not use a routine that could go wrong easily. Heck, if you he was doing it to impress and to make money, there are other great mentalism routines out there where you could impress almost 100 percent of the time.

I think that the best effects are those that take a risk, or use a psychological force. Ok they can fail but if done correctly you'll be successful most of the time and the effect is so much stronger when they can't say "ah well the prediction was / could have been changed here or there" because you haven't touched it. Plus, in my opinion (before I offend everyone), this is the ultimate in creativity albeit I'm refering to a more advanced level than you've described .

Ant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prediction trick – can you solve this one (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL