The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Appearing hamburger from billboard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 19:01, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
The playboy centrefold is actually quite easy. The only hard art is getting the staples out of her belly button.

You can get the gimmick for that at any office supply store.... shhhh, it's a secret.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Men in Black II had that gag. And left the staple in. No food pellets given for copying from a joke in a mass media movie. Such is not bizarre, it's... (a different word comes to mind )
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 05:39, munch1215 wrote:
To Greg and Mandrake,
Well.. as a great and wise magician once told me, it is better to first learn existing routines perfectly on the type of magic you want to do and then only after understanding the format of the magic, you can make up your own.

That's true, if you want to be like everyone else. You will never be truly unique this way. If you walk the same path walked by everyone else before you, you will most likely not get to far from them.

I'll give you a couple of examples.
Banachek - when he was younger and heard of the things Uri Geller did he didn't know where to find the methods. So he sat down and came up with his own methods, and you know what - those methods were better than Uri Geller's.
This is because Banachek didn't actually see Uri perform so he always imagined that the audiance can actually see the spoon bending. This made him come up with methods that allowed the audiance to visually see the metal bend as opposed to Uri which simply put it in the spectator's hand and then revealed it is bent.

I bet that if Banachek would have followed the path Uri or other mentalist took he wouldn't have thought about the methods he did invent.

Some more examples, you mentioned songwriting.
Do you know that Stieve Ray Voughan (love him!) and even Jimi Hendrix never took a single guitar lesson in their life? And they came up with some of the best music on earth. What do you think would they have done if they would follow the lessons of some guitar teacher? They would simply be like the rest of the millions out there, doing the same old stuff the same old way.
They had no refference and so the had to CREATE THEIR OWN.
The same way Banachek had no reference so he created his own.

Just my two cents.

Sorry, this was a duplicate of the above message.
(You never know when you'll need a duplicate)
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Mshel, great words. I hope they don't fall on deaf ears. If I'm not mistaken this kind of story is true of Sankey who had no connection with magicians and got some sort of magic set that the instructions were in German so he had to figure how to work the stuff on his own.
How did someone like Sankey survive without all the DVDs and pamphlets that now he himself puts out? I wonder.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Well, Banachek also had Randi helping him out a bit.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-16 16:12, Mishel wrote:...Do you know that Stieve Ray Voughan (love him!) and even Jimi Hendrix never took a single guitar lesson in their life? And they came up with some of the best music on earth. What do you think would they have done if they would follow the lessons of some guitar teacher? They would simply be like the rest of the millions out there, doing the same old stuff the same old way.
They had no refference and so the had to CREATE THEIR OWN....

Not sure what you mean by lessons. Both were part of the blues community and spent much time learning from their idols and mentors. As best I recall they followed the same path as Clapton and others of the time. Lots of old records and session time with bluesmen.
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
True.
The same way, I guess, magicians learnt in the past.
Their idols and mentors were a BIG influence, but you can't say that they teached them how to play or what to say through their music.
They teached them some technique and showed them the general vibe one should have but I can assure you that some of the stuff they did is beyond the capabilities of their idols and mentors - this they developed themselves.

Anyway, I am not a big expert on the subject and I would really like to keep the fantasy in my head living so I don't want to get into the details.

The main point was that sometimes, taking the road less travelled may get you to some place new and exciting.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-16 17:59, Mishel wrote:...Anyway, I am not a big expert on the subject and I would really like to keep the fantasy in my head living so I don't want to get into the details....

Words to be framed.
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
On 2005-07-12 05:39, Mishel wrote:
Quote:
Banachek - when he was younger and heard of the things Uri Geller did he didn't know where to find the methods. So he sat down and came up with his own methods, and you know what - those methods were better than Uri Geller's.
This is because Banachek didn't actually see Uri perform so he always imagined that the audiance can actually see the spoon bending. This made him come up with methods that allowed the audiance to visually see the metal bend as opposed to Uri which simply put it in the spectator's hand and then revealed it is bent.

Without wishing to take anything away from Banachek I should point out that even a cursory search of the literature will show that Uri has been doing "visual" bends since practically the start of his career.
Magnum
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magnum
I don't desire the secret to have the ability to do his routine. I would like to know the mechanics of it,so I could build on that knowledge and see where it could potentially lead me. Everyone had to start out somewhere, and my base level of knowledge of the nuances and details of accomplishing certain things is not as extensive as some other people, but the fact is they had to learn it from somewhere.I live in an area where there seems to be little or no magic community, so I don't have the ability to mingle among other minds interested in magic, nor do I have easy access to magic supplies (other than the sites that people complain about i.e. penguin) While I have had some ability to purchase DVD's and Books, that is just to learn the required knowledge to accomplish a certain effect, how I apply that knowledge is where my creativity comes in. Even from the aspect of being innovative and fresh, it is unreasonable that I should reinvent the wheel to accomplish a feat that people already know how to do. If the basics of those can be taught, I can spend more time developing my own ideas which could possible progress magic rather than spending a lifetime trying to continually reach where others have left behind. I am an Electrical Engineering major, and I highly doubt that anyone who designs any modern technology , does it without learning the basics of the ideas that came before.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The one thing that seems to escaped everyone is that most magic and mental performers lose quickly is their sense of astonishment. They lose the ability to think like a lay person does and as such do not always have the ability to judge how what they do looks to their audience, something few mystery performers have retained. What is wrong with sitting back, going "WOW that was amazing" and leaving it at that?!?!?! Few will ever do this or any similar effect and the mechanics are imaterial unless you are in fact going to do it yourself so WHO CARES how to do it? Just marvel at the accomplishment the same way as you hope your audience does for you and revisit how it feels to be thoroughly mystifyed.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-21 12:06, Thoughtreader wrote:
... most magic and mental performers lose quickly is their sense of astonishment...

In their quest to acquire magic, some lose it utterly. What they get from their audiences is only a quick fix, and what most provide is more shock than delight.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thanks for the website link Greg.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 15:03, themindreader wrote:
With all the respect in the world - why is "appearing hamburger from billboard" appearing in "the spookey, the myserious and the bizarre!"?

I have not seen the clip - is it a scary hamburger?

I think what makes this appear to be scary at all is the well placed music buildup. Definitely a plus. It takes a great artist to make a hamburger appear at all frightening. Perhaps their reactions made it seem startlingly scary, too.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 15:21, themindreader wrote:
I suppose it's similar to someone starting a post about Mark Mason under "Now that's funny!"

Mark Mason is funny!!Honestly,has me in stitches.
E.O.I
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
...is it a scary hamburger?

Make it a bacon double cheeseburger and to a bunch of orthodox Muslims, Jews, and vegetarian's it's probably a sign from God that the end is near as abominations are manifesting from mere pictures.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 05:32, Greg Arce wrote:
How right you are, Mandrake01. It amazes me that some of these people can't sit back and think, "That's a good idea. I wish I had thought it, but I didn't. Maybe I should sit down and create some of my own stuff."

Greg

I don't consider myself a really "creative" person. My magic is very basic and simple. But it's MINE! I'm not stealing anyone else's pet effects or routines. (Though I did steal a line from Harry Anderson for a different trick using large cards; "The cards weren't this big, but I was a lot smaller and I want you to see this in scale!" I couldn't resist!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 05:39, munch1215 wrote:
To Greg and Mandrake,
Well.. as a great and wise magician once told me, it is better to first learn existing routines perfectly on the type of magic you want to do and then only after understanding the format of the magic, you can make up your own.

For example, you can't write a song on the guitar if you don't know any chords or how songs are written. You have to learn the idea, practice it, and then after a while you can create your own.
It is the same thing in magic. I want to know how to do this trick so that I can learn the ideas and then create my own trick. It is a good idea to learn from the wise.

I agree. I do established routines and effects. But I'm not going to learn a unique and individual routine that someone else has developed and present it as my own.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 10:47, The Curator wrote:
I couldn't agree more...

I gonna try a similar effect with a Playboy centerfold...

Copperfield actually did something similar with the famous Farrah Fawcett poster from the 70s. With Farrah standing next to him, he folded up the poster, pulled something out of it and unfolded it to show the something missing. The last item was Farrah's swimsuit, and Farrah herself reached into the folded poster to pull out a hair ribbon. When David unfolded the poster, the swimsuit was missing, but Farrah's hair was drapped over her body!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 19:01, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
The playboy centrefold is actually quite easy. The only hard art is getting the staples out of her belly button.

I just had a flash of "Critters 2" where the two bounty hunters have to take human form. One keeps changing his (it's?) mind and at one point becomes a swimsuit model he sees a photo of in a magazine on a desk. Complete with huge staple in the stomach!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Appearing hamburger from billboard (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL