The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Disappointments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi

Last Tuesday I saw on TV, Johnathan Pendragon performed to the elite people. There were Rice, Cheney, Georgi boy and high rank people. Pendragon performed the subtrunk illusion. Common Johny you did this like 20 years ago. You can't come up something new? or just you punished this people? I know he has the shortest time with this illusion but beside that lots of people knows how it's done he should come up some new tricks

There were a magician. His name EMIL T KIO. He performed in the forties until the sixties. Even his father IGOR KIO was a magician. He comes from a family which was working in a traveling circus. When I was a kid they were in Budapest. I didn't saw them but all I remember everyone talked about this show for long time. Now I got one dvd where a guy (Abdulov) shows David Copperfields illusions. I was really suprised when I saw Emil Kio talking on this dvd. I felt badly because he is one of the most respected magician in Europe, Russia. After I thought what would the people say here if some big name helped Valentino. BTW I heard some rumor about this.

Alex do you know Emil T Kio?
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Laci,

From everything I read about the theater where they performed, there really isn't a lot of backstage area, and considering all the performers who were there, it could be the safest routine (exposure-wise) they could have performed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
laci200,

One of the real differences between magicians with an act the ones without one is how often the same act is repeated before a paid audience and the quality of the audience. For years I owned a personal management and booking agency. Talent buyers like to get what they think they are buying. They expect consistency. Presentation is a much better mark of a professional entertainer than originality.

Even in the TV and movie industry, which employs many of the best-known and highly paid entertainers, there is little to no originality. Capacity for convincing presentation is the key. This is on purpose. The purpose is to entertain the audience. That includes drawing and holding the audience.

Rarely does a popular singer have to learn a new song as compared to a beginner, unknown, unestablished singer. Failure to have a consistent act is almost automatic rejection for good agency representation. Professionals in the business fully understand this. They deliver the goods! Until they do, they struggle with delivering a different mediocre routine nightly to the same mediocre audience. They both think they are original. They are both wrong.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Not having a real act is doing the something over and over (changing from one to another not ready for primetime presentation). The most successful pros have a real act.

Save the “original” stuff for magic contest. It’s a different venue with different expectations and different payoffs. They are fun for magicians. They are not a very good career path but they weren’t meant to be. They were meant to give the contestant a place to experiment and the audience free entertainment. They also are a great tool for increasing convention attendance.

For the contestant, it is a chance to perform, a chance to be seen, a little publicity among magicians, bragging rights, and a chance to document effects or presentations as part of his/her repertoire as of that date. The prizes are seldom enough to cover expenses of attending.

It is not the same venue as being contracted to perform for a paid audience. Expectations, payoffs, audiences and futures are quite different. Fit of the routines is critical. From my forty plus years of observation, a well-polished professional class act will usually fail miserably in a magic contest. However it will get repeat commercial bookings for decades. A winning magic contest routine is very seldom a commercial success beyond the first round of bookings, if any. They certainly don’t excite experienced booking agents.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
That's a great post, Bob. There's a lot of wisdom in it!
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Laci200!!! You have mixed all!
The father - EMIL. At it 2 sons: EMIL and IGOR.
EMIL now works in Japan.
IGOR in Russia.
Igor has got on TV program Abdulov fraudalently!
Igor is revolted by that Abdulov has inserted its speech from other transfer.
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
If you were watching the July 4th broadcast, then you probably also noticed the camera catch President Bush say to his wife after the illusion, "That's Amazing."

The Pendragons are not as much of a household name as Copperfield or Blaine. But you'd better believe the people who have heard of them are wanting to see that exact illusion. This is because they've done a wonderful job of branding themselves with it. They were smart to choose it for this national TV performance.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Yes Alex you were right I mixed the first names Igor who talks on the dvd.

Michael I think Johnathan should done one illusion where audence member involved. Copperfield did last time with the duck. The subtrunk maybe was new to the president but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of people in the audence who knew how its done. Pull of the same trick for more then 20 years looks like no other ideas. Don't get me wrong he is a good illusionist but people want to see new illusions.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 20:29, laci200 wrote:

Michael I think Johnathan should done one illusion where audence member involved. Copperfield did last time with the duck. The subtrunk maybe was new to the president but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of people in the audence who knew how its done. Pull of the same trick for more then 20 years looks like no other ideas. Don't get me wrong he is a good illusionist but people want to see new illusions.

To be fair to Jonathan in regards to your arguement, not a lot of people probably did know how the subtrunk was done. Politicians think too literally to care...and I can safely say that. I work for the United States Senate. Plus, yeah...David did the Duck Bucket for the President on tv last year, and also did it on the Today Show, the Tonight Show, and a couple other tv specials. Plus he did that same routine with the duck bucket 20 years ago on his 1985 tv special. I think Jonathan was fine. What you have seen him do for 20 years, I guarantee you 90% of those in attendance saw for the first time.
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Laci200,
You've fallen prey to the most common mistakes young peformers make; thinking like a magician. Lay audiences do not video every magic special on TV and try to figure out the effects. Only we magical geeks do that. Likewise, I'm sure you don't spend your evenings reviewing past presidential speeches to find out who stole what line from who.
Your job as a magician, as a performer, is to entertain. I 'seem to recall' a magician who killed audiences for 50+ years with a white glove with eyes drawn on it. Reread Bob's post....that kind of advice can only come from a working professional.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
I guess someone should have told Albert Goshman to do something besides that same-old same-old close up routine where the coin keeps showing up under the salt shaker. Smile
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

I talk about illusions what was exposed on tv. See the other topic one guy can't sell his zig zag exactly because of this. You can go to magicauction site where subtrunk and zig zag stays for long time because no buyer. Were the Goshman routine exposed? NO!!! You still don't get it. I wrote that magicians should come up new illusions. Look Copperfield he always put some new in his show and that's why people love him even if he shows some older illusion.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2861 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I don't know where this thread is going to go (the operating system on my crystal ball crashed, and I can't figure out how to insert the CD to re-load it), but so far, several very important points have been raised:

1. There's a huge difference between doing magic commercially and doing it for the trade.

2. Branding yourself and your work.

3. Lay audiences don't think like we do.

All this stuff has been explored in the Café before, but it's all coming together right here. And thanks, Bob, for your input from the booking agent side.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
Georgefl38, did you get the "blue ball of death" ? LOL Sorry, I could not resist that one.

Laszlo, I see other illusions on the magic auction site that have been up for a long time that were not exposed on the television.

The guy (MagicJared) is selling a cube zag, not a zig zag. This was built by a "no name" builder, and had damage (wheel fell off). I think the latter two reasons may be hindering his sale of the cube zag. But that has pretty much been covered on that thread.

I did not see the special in question, so if you don't mind answering a question about it for me, how much time did Johnathan Pendragon have on the special, and how many illusions/tricks did he do?
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Laci,

Even an exposed trick can be entertaining and amazing if you perform it in a way not exposed. I've designed routines for some of the illusions on the show to make an exposed trick "unexposed" (meaning same illusion performed in a different way so to "disprove" the special (Sub trunk, stretcher, sword basket, etc). The Pendragons are still the fastest exchange anyone has seen, as opposed to the Fox special, who, in that timeframe, not only could have changed clothes (which they didn't) but could have made a three minute egg. There are differences (not saying the exposure was good in any way), speed, curtain rip, costume change, etc. which makes the Penndragon's still one of the best, and most amazing to watch, even if you know how its done (which I'm sure 99% of us on the board know how).
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2005-07-09 15:51, Drs_Res wrote:
Georgefl38, did you get the "blue ball of death" ? LOL Sorry, I could not resist that one.

LMAO!
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Folks should get the new book out on Mr. Electric. A fun read and shows you what you can do with "just" 8 minutes of magic, for 50 years!!!!!!!!!

Some great posts, Bobs' especially!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2861 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2005-07-09 15:51, Drs_Res wrote:
Georgefl38, did you get the "blue ball of death" ?

Ooooooooo boy, did I ever walk into that one! Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Now, I would agree that The Pendragons are not so much a household name as Copperfield, but I think definitely more than Blaine. To people with even the slightest interest in magic as merely laypeople, The Pendragons should be well known.

Was that the same occasion with Copperfield doing a variaton of Zig-Zag with Jenniffer Lopez?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Disappointments (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL