The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blockhead nail angle... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I know it goes in horizontally, but a friend of mine who can do it well can get a five inch nail in, and says the angle is slightly downwards. I can still only manage 2.5-3 inches, yet when looking in the mirror, the angle is more upwards!

Is tehre more than one hole, is there a chance I'm going wrong, or is it just my nose shaped differently? Thanks for any advcie on this.
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
jiggyjer
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of jiggyjer
Not the type of stunt I would want to give advice about on an open forum. My advice is to learn it first hand from someone. Your confusion underscores the fact that there is some risk involved. Baring this it can be learned from sam delal in the collection "SWAMI". Tricky and risky stuff, be very carefull.

J
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Chill Smile I am taking this very carefully and seriously. If it ever hurts, I stop. I just want to know from someone who does this what the angle should be.

Thanks.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Live dangerously! Search, especially Believe It or Not...
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
For me the nail sightly tips downward i.e. going towards the roof of my mouth...everyone is diffrent, and just keep at it, you will soon get the hand of it.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
After further research, I have realised that I am in fact going up the wrong passage. And as much as I tried to angle it down, the nail still went up that same 'path'. So I stopped. And started again from scratch in my right nostril. After a couple of days of sneezing everytime I got in about an inch, I finally cracked it, and within a day managed to get a three inch nail in perfectly horizontal (even angling down a bit like Freak Prodigy). I am certain now that it is the right passage, and I will try a bigger nail next time I'm down at the hardware store.

Click Here!

If you see the picture, I think the nail was going above the inferior nasal choncha before, but now I am going under it, in the correct passage.

Problem solved Smile Thanks to everyone who helped me and gave me advice.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Ahhhh, when hammering the nail I sometimes hit that ever so tender spot...LOL, I use a 20 penny nail...if that helps you out any
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Before some one gets really hurt here,the nail is not hammered, it just looks that way.
Not even the greats can do a five inch actual depth, the cavity is not that deep..
Be real with advice, you may KILL someone!
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Listen to slim, he knows his stuff!

I've been sticking things in my nose for a little while and his advice was very useful.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 22:44, sanscan wrote:
Before some one gets really hurt here,the nail is not hammered, it just looks that way.

If it doesn't hurt, and I can do it fine, then why not hammer it in? I can hammer the three inch nail in without holding onto the nail at all fine.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Because others do not share your apparent invulnerability!

Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
You might also find that by gently warming the nail first (in your hand) helps AND using lanoline to line your nasal passage after you have benn doing this helps keep it lubricated and prevents bleeding if you have scratched anything.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2005-07-11 12:10, Niko wrote:
If it doesn't hurt, and I can do it fine, then why not hammer it in? I can hammer the three inch nail in without holding onto the nail at all fine.
Because it's about control, not danger. And when you get to using a longer nail, after getting in the habit of hammering a short one, you will hurt yourself.

The stunt is real, but the hammering effect is just that--an effect. If you're actually hammering, then what you are doing is, to be blunt, stupid.

The fact that you didn't even know the correct path of entry, and that you're trying to learn this using a nail (you don't learn this stunt with a nail, in my opinion; the nail is only for after you know what you're doing) says to me that you need to stop what you're doing and find a knowledgable teacher, before you harm yourself.

Listen to Slim.

If I sound harsh, well, I don't want you hurting yourself 'because you don't know what you're doing.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I can hammer my three inch in fine, nothings going to go wrong, I've done it enough times. Maybe this will be different when I get a five inch nail. I can't tell you before I try that. However, for now I'm happy with what I am doing, and am certain it is perfectly safe.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
My conscience will not allow me to let this lie! If you are pounding the nail as you say, you are only moments away from doing yourself serious harm! The chances are that I was doing this before your parents were born, and I've seen people badly hurt, doing it right! In the hope that you will learn, I'm sending a "Slim Price's Sideshow Notes" to you regarding Human Blockhead by PM. Others who are reading this, please learn the right way to do it. Don't listen to this person.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
When I hammer, I hammer very lightly indeed, holding the nail at the nostril with my left hand, until the nail is in enough so I can hammer it (again, VERY gentley) until it is in fully.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
SORRY!!!!!! MY TOTAL BAD! I DID NOT SPECIFY THAT THE NAIL IS NOT ACTUALLY HAMMERED!.....wow, I should be more specific!
sorry for the confusion!
Blog:
View Profile
New user
USA
23 Posts

Profile of Bizarre
The young often do stupid things because of lack of experience. I think most of us fit into that category at some time. Look at it this way. I can cross a street without looking and not get hurt. I can do it many times and not get hurt - but chance are high that ONE time I will get hurt or killed. Listen to people who have loads of experience in this. Even hammering lightly - or even fake hammering - is dangerous. To say any different shows your lack of experience. At some time you are going to be startled, get bumped, stumble or slip and that angle will be wrong and the hammering will be harder and you will truly be a block head. I am not saying that you should not do this effect, just learn from people who have been doing for longer than you have been alive. No need to reinvent the wheel. While I don't know, I would imagine a large hole in this area may be difficult for a doctor to work on . . .
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The potential hole is, interestingly enough, in about the same place as where Egyptian mummifiers would start brain extraction.

I've never seen anybody do this as part of their blockhead act, though. After all the bad imitations I've seen of Melvin's act, it would be refreshing.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Please, please, please Niko! We're not harping on you, but genuinely concerned for you safety. Accidents happen to the best of us. Please take Slim's advice.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blockhead nail angle... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL