The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sword Cabinet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I am drawing up some plans for a sword cabinet illusion based on the one in Osborne's Classic Illusions. In the plans there is no description of how the swords are positions when in the box. Could someone help me out with this. I don't need the workings of the illusion, that I've worked out, but I need to understand which slots each of the 14 swords enters and exits.

Thanks,
Richard
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
They can go right through, or with shorter swords, left hanging in the box. Therefore less holes.

Best is do a cardboard model of the actual finished size box you are using and proceed with making the holes in it. Then take a look and see how they look.

Are you REALLY using 14 swords?????????? Why??

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Actually, I may or may not use 14 total. That's just from the Osborne description. It seemed like overkill (no pun intended Smile ) to me, but we'll see how it looks.

Thanks,
Richard
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

I have been trying to get away with less. Allows more room for presentation. As Hard to make the insertion, and removal of that many baldes entertaining!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Do like Bob Kramer did. He just winged them out towards the wings at the end of the effect. You just did not want to be standing in that wing when he did.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Or Richiardi, over his head to his assistant. But using an Abbotts temple the swords were probably tin or aluminum. I would not want to do it with my chrome plated steel ones (steel for a reason), or my lighted ones.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Richard wrote: "Actually, I may or may not use 14 total. That's just from the Osborne description"

Hey Richard, I think the premise behind the overkill with the 14 swords, was as they were going into box, the laymen would be thinking that the assistant was merely dodging the swords inside, and once 14 were in place, it still seemed like an amazing feet but they still beleived they knew what was happening, but then the kicker would happen when the doors were opened to reveal she was gone altogether. Sort of like a sucker effect I guess. Because really its a vanishing effect, rather than a penetration effect. The swords are just to suck in the laymen as far as a technical aspect goes(imho). However they do serve another purpose of story telling. But I do agree 14 is a bit much, 8-12 is probably a good number.
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sword Cabinet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL