The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How do you handle people talking over your microphone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
What do you say? and what happens if it doesn't improve.

Evan
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
How do you mean "talking over your microphone"??

Suggestions:

Don't let them get to it.
Turn it off. On stage or at controls.
Wear a wireless.

Perhaps you should explain your problem some more.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Like if the audience is talking over the amplification of your microphone. No matter how loud you talk, the audience is still louder.
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
If the audience is louder than you then you need a louder PA system or a better act!

Nathan
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Quote:
On 2005-07-09 20:44, Magic Nathan wrote:
If the audience is louder than you then you need a louder PA system or a better act!

Nathan

With all do respect, I disagree. People can be talking not realizing your show is going on, or just are rude in nature. Large groups in schools can be overpowering, trust me. Sure there are speakers and amplifiers out there that are more than powerful, but have you seen the size AND pricetag of one of those? If it's a big show, this heavy duty system is no problem, but a school show in a confined gym, that's cramped with people is different. Our family van couldn't be able to accomadate these speakers, with all the other equipment.

A better act doesn't always mean more attention.

Evan
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that you were on stage and people in the audience were ignoring you and talking over you. If this is the case then louder speakers or a more interesting act would keep their attention.

The secret is to never put yourself in this situation. Example: I never perform on any stage while people are eating and engaged in conversation. You couldn't pay me enough for that. If they are not paying attention when you start you'll never be able to get them to shut up and watch your show.

I don't have any othe answer for you. I've had crowds I had to quiet down but never had one that talked over me. I don't quite understand why people are talking during your show. Are you the main act in these situations or in a corner entertaining small groups out of a large crowd?

Nathan
spignataro
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of spignataro
It sounds like you work a lot of school venues. If you are getting audience feedback through your mics...then I would suggest getting a directional mic. It will only pick you up and not them. So if someone is moving around on a bleacher which in 99% of school shows someone is. Or if there is a rude student...and again that is in 99% of school shows....you will need to get a directional mic.

Take a look at http://www.shure.com/

Those are the mics I would suggest. They don't pick up a lot of background noise and only the performer on stage.

Hope that helps
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
If you are getting distracted by people talking
you need to learn to ignore and just do your act.

you'll get immune to it.
its something you have
to learn to deal with.

any louder doesn't help, just makes it annoying
for the audience memebers in the front, especially
if their ear drums get blown.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

A couple of suggestions.

Darkness works, if able to black out before the show begins with a voice over announcement this will draw attention to the fact that a show is beginning.

Silence works, if using music as the folks are being seated, use soft music, when the show is about to begin go to silence and come in with the music several levels higher and a different style. I noticed Copperfield in his arena show here used several levels of lighting, and sound, before his show even began.

Talk, I thought I would open with an "artistic" version of the Broom Suspension in a shopping mall show. No one even knew a show was going on, it sounded like muzak playing to them they walked right by! So right after the overture/opening music I started with the egg bag and an assistant (usually a very small child). This was for me a traffic stopper. Because, boy can I talk!!! And I would "reach out" and direct lines to the audience and passerbys to draw them in. Having one of "them" also made people stop to see what was going on.

Flash opening!!!! Music, lights, action!!!! (But don't take a chance and "waste" your best effect here!)

Audience volunteers. If you want to get attention, announce "who wants to win $50.00? (thats' $32.50 in US funds - just a joke!) Do a quick bank nite effect. Thumb tip or tray. Get them up on the stage or use the folks closest to it. Have them stand up in their spots.

If you are still having a problem, call in a pro (theatre person) for an opinion.
Henning Nelms book on Showmanship For Magicians might also give you some help. It is like theatre direction for magicians.

Good Luck and let us know how things work out. What is your opening now????

From the time the audience comes in, and your first 5 minutes. Maybe this will help garner some more suggestions for you.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7382 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Evan -

Tell us more about the situation this is happening to you in, and the type of audience you are working for. It's hard to recommend the appropriate solution, without knowing enough about the details of the problem you are having. Who is talking over you, everyone, or just a select few? What venue are you working in when this happens? Etc.

For example, let's assume that I GUESS you are talking about kids shows. If your problem is with children's audiences talking / interrupting, then you might have started this thread in the wrong area. In the little darlings area of the Café, you will find that we have discussed solutions to this, including doing an appropriate warm-up, and talking with the children about audience expectations.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17487 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Check your LIGHTING presentation....Yes Lighting. If they don't see any difference between you and the rest of the auditorium, then they won't respond. The dimming suggestion above is very good. Lower all of the lights except the stage lighting at the very beginning. Rev up the PA that you do have....and demand their attention with your best dramatic style.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
I own a Shure microphone that works perfectly. The only problem is I am in a delemna because if I need more power being put toward my speakers, I need larger speakers. Larger speakers means more room in the van, which we don't have. So I am just wondering how you guys handle this situation if your speakers aren't loud enough. That's all, not advice to getting larger speakers, or a better microphone. It is how YOU as a performer act to stop this from happening.

Evan
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
How small is your van? One powered ( amp built in ) Yamaha speaker is not very big and will give you LOTS of audio strength.

Nathan
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
We have a dodge caravan. The only problem with the Yamaha is my Ipod and microphone have to be wired in with the system. On my amplifier, it takes a lot of wires.

Evan
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Evan,

I also have Yamahas and swear by them. You can plug both a mic and your ipod into the Yamaha as there are two inputs with separate volume levels. Its a very portable yet powerful system. You don't need an amp as the amp is built into the Yamaha.

I use a small mixer myself however. This lets me use my CD player, my own mic and the client can also plug their mic in if they want to use the system for speeches..etc.

I learned long ago that you need VOLUME to keep some audiences. The first magic show I ever saw was years ago at a corporate Christmas banquet. There was this magician way across the room with a small PA system and people around me were talking so it was hard to hear him. Since it was hard to hear him.....the audience had trouble understanding his patter so others started talking as well and that made the problem even worse and the pattern continued until this poor guy was talking to himself. I swore I'd never let that happen to me. It never has.....thanks to my good ol' Yamaha system.

Best,

Tim
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Where can you get this system?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Contact any local DJ supply place and ask for a YAMAHA MS300 powered speaker. Or search it out on the web. Expect to pay just under a $1000 for one and a tripod. You'll want to place it on tripod so it can project over the crowds heads. You'll learn its one of the best investments you can make.

If the price is a little high for you here is a solution to help ease the sting.

When you get a booking ...negotiate the price for your show and then after it's settled....you ask. "Is there a professional sound system on site?" If the client isn't sure...say " I can bring one but rental fees on a decent system will be about XX dollars. Did you want to me to arrange one or do you want to?" The client will almost always say...." Maybe you better arrange one." and you get to collect a rental fee for your PA. Even if its only $50 a show extra ( could be more ) it will help pay for the system and in no time you'll be buying a second one to make a pair.

Good Luck,

Tim
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
That's a really great idea Tim.
Good way to upgrade the moola.
Daniel Faith
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Evan,

Call Soundart, they're in Winnipeg. Ask for Korey, tell him Al9 sent you. They're the biggest PA company in central Canada.

Where are you performing? I've used to work a LOT around Manitoba, I may be able to help you out.
Skĺl

--
Alan
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

So what I am reading into this, is that you blast your audience into submission with power and sound. (I agree a good sound system is always good to enhance the show.)

But why not just take some time and learn how to manage the situation and audience.
(Read some of the above posts)

Not all audiences like to be blasted, particularly if is is a mixed (adult/youth) audience in a confined gym. Also, think of all the problems with acoustics in this type of venue!!

I still say take someone out to your show who will give you an honest opinion.
Get them to watch the audience, look at the overall, figure out why your audience doesn't seem to care enough to "shut the ..... up!!" and watch your show. Even a none magic person would be good for this, just make sure that they are open with you about the problems and will be honest.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

Oh yes, it could be sound related. But from what you have posted I believe it could be more.

Again take a look at the whole situation, not just from the sound side.

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How do you handle people talking over your microphone? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL