The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Picking up incoming signals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Well I had heard of this many years ago, I had not experienced it myself until today.

Many years ago, I heard about a cabaret performer, who I knew and admired, Diamond Lil, working close to the Toronto International Airport using a cordless microphone. She was asked to switch to a corded mic because planes at the airport were getting her singing instead of landing and take off intstructions from the tower.

Today, Pat and I were doing an arena show and during our sound system check, using a wireless microphone, we were getting some strange pops and static. Then we started to get the arena staff traffic. It turned out the frequency they were using for their walkie talkies was the same as our wireless microphones. We quickly switched over to a "corded" microphone to eliminate any possiblility of unwanted dialogue during our act.

We had to make some last minute adjustments to our choreography, but the switch over eliminated any embarassment that might have occured coming over our PA.

Curious to know, has anyone else ever run into this problem?

All the best,

Rob
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Even with corded mikes you can have problems. I did a show once with an audio cable sufering from a bad ground wire. Turned the cable into a radio antenna. You could hear a local radio station paying very low over the PA system during quiet points in the show.

During my set up, I come early and check the PA with the audio turned up until I start to get feed back. If the signal is clean, I'm happy.

:magicrabbit:
David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Years ago we had a police scanner to monitor calls.
At times we were picking up cell phones, baby monitors and other cordless contraptions.

Things may have changed a bit since then, and I may be a bit old fashioned, but to this day I prefer to use a phone with a cord because I believe my calls could be overheard.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Jaz,

You're right about the cell phones being picked up on scanners. I have at least 2 friends who make a hobby of this. Both live in separate small towns and can tell you pretty much who is doing what with whom.

It is also pretty scary how many people give out information over those things that they shouldn't. My friends tell me that if they were of a mind, they could easily do credit card scams, since people will order things over the cell phone and give out their name, address, phone number and credit card information.

IMO You gotta be more careful!

Rob
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Performing at a local county fair a couple years ago; as I was setting up I started receiving someone else's show-in-progress over my sound system. Turned out that a traveling puppet troupe from Texas had a wireless set-up similar to mine and set to the same frequency. It was simple for me to change frequency...and I began picking up a cleaning product pitchman from inside a nearby building. Since the puppeteer and I were on alternating schedules, we worked things out...and I invested in an upgraded system the next day.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Another story from my cop days...I worked closely with Law Enforcement Explorers during my cop career and would often use these incredible teens as an extra set of eyes and ears during stake-outs. They used common frequency Radio Shack walkie talkies to communicate. One teen came to me puzzled about what he was hearing during a late-night burglary surveillance. Apparently a couple in one of the nearby houses had caught the mood d'Amor next to an active baby monitor...which is set to the same freq as most common residential walkie talkies. But...we digress! Imagine this happening during one of our neighborhood shows? :o)

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Skip, that reminds me of an incident in Toronto a few years ago.

It happened at what was then called the Skydome, home of the Toronto Bluejays. Over looking the outfield is a hotel and during a game a couple mistakenly thought their hotel window was made to only see out of and not into when the mood of love struck them. They had over 20000 in their audience! Wouldn't you love to be able to pass the hat after an act like that! Smile

Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Picking up incoming signals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL