The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dollar sized copper coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
462 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Any sugestions? Thanks.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
The diameter of a gold-colored Boy Scout Coin is about 0.04 inches smaller. That is convenient for Roth's 'Metamorphosis Change.' Carnivals have (or used to) a machine that allowed you to stamp a slogan into aluminum that rimmed a penny. On the reverse side you got 'Keep me and you will never be penniless.' That token was same size as Boy Scout Coin and makes a neat transformation and fusing of a copper and silver coin. I'd like to know other dollar-size coins myself. The coin shows in my neighborhood are only semiannually.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Coingaffs.com is a sponsor of The Magic Café. He's probably an expert in finding coins of any size.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The Sudbury Penny is a copper dollar sized replica of a U.S. penny. It's a good choice, interesting, and fits into other effects like Dingle's "Inflation" and Wilson's "Dishonest Abe". Jamie Schoolcraft has a bunch of the second generation Sudburys, (the originals are harder to find) and makes excellent gaffs to match. I have and use one all the time.

You could also try Jerry Mentzer at Magic Methods for these pennies.

The only problem with the Sudbury Penny is that it does draw a lot of attention, which could be a distraction from the routine you're doing. Sometimes you want to introduce a copper coin into the effect, and move on. In the Copper/Silver/Bras routine, for instance, letting people get used to the large penny can slow down the opening phase. Also, a giant penny clearly makes the audience aware of novelty coins, which might not be a great thing.

If these are concerns, Todd Lassen has collected a bunch of bronze and copper British crowns. You can see them on his site, and the fabulous gaffs he makes with them. These look like large foreign coins, and although they are unusual, they can at least claim to be authentic.

Finally, if you're just looking for a dollar sized coin that contrasts well with a silver dollar, there are a few good "Chinese" coins available right now in dollar size. Try a search in this section.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Chocolate coins... just add fixitive. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magius
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magius
Chinese coins, Qing dynasty. They made lots of these. Slightly bigger than a dollar, but they are so unrecongizable and cheap, it doesn't hurt to shave them a bit. You'd be amazed what you can get from Chinese currency.

Just today, I went to the coin shop and found these smaller ones. Size is between half dollar and dolla, but .7-.8 times as thin as a half dollar, and with matching copper version, exactly what I need for my VCA and stand up Wild Coins. They are generally large, but thin, making it easier for edge grip, also lighter, which is good since dollars keep falling from my edge grip slowly due to sweat. The best thing on top of this is the price. It costed me slightly above 3 USD for one of them, and they are silver too, despite often dating before 1900. I guess it'd be good if you want your coins to be special, though I tend to just like them because they are easy on the eyes and hands.

I'm not sure whether they sell chinese coins in foreign coin shops, but when in doubt, find some online or pick some up if you go travelling in Asia. Just remember that Asian currency tends to be economic due to the mass production, but they haev no proof, and uncirculated ones can become even more expensive than American ones becasue they are much rarer.
Neophyte.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Todd Lassen has all the South African (very nice looking) copper coins in that size. He uses them to make his gaff coins.
Bob
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Brad Burt (www.magicshop.com) has what he calls the Sudbury II coin available. If you cannot locate the original it is the best available at this time.

Regards,

Paul Green
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Have a look for copper fantasy coins based on the British Crown. These are the same size as silver dollars, but the thickness varies (some are as thin as a dollar, others at thick as a crown). I managed to pick up 6 at about $10 each at a coin shop that were perfect for what I wanted.
Harold Cataquet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dollar sized copper coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL