The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Criss Angel - MindFreak (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Ok I saw this show tonight. Not bad, more showy than DB, but how many times are we going to see the riffle shuffle and think of a card, your card was trick. Course I freaked out my wife when I told her both times the card she was thinking of before CA did... lol

Is this the Brittny Spears vs Christina Agulara (sp?) battle in the magic world?
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
what special did you see him in? what was he doing, etc...?

the only thing I've seen on him was an underwater escape of some kind (didn't get to actually watch the program, but I got to see a few preview commercials).

Kallak
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
It will be rerun later in the week... He is sort of Marylin Manson type rockerguy, doing a mixture of David Blaine street stuff and Copperfield dancy stage stuff. I thought the special had some good magic in it, but it maybe seemed to jump around a bit too much.. I would have liked to see more of a consistent storyline...

He started off doing a VERY nice looking levitation of a girl on the sidewalk outside his theatre.. The camera kept panning around 360 degrees, and it just looked great. They also showed two illusions from his stage show, him putting the robot together and vanishing a girl sitting in a chair... These only looked ok.. I think it would have been much more impressive if you saw it live. He did another street illusion where he vanished from under a trash can... very nice looking. They kept showing clips from his Submerged escape, that was a sort of Blaine-style endurance test... it looked very uncomfortable, but not quite as uncomfortable as when he hung from the fish hooks. He did some find-a-card tricks, and metal bending.. which were decent.. I liked the flourish where he caught it in his teeth.. (I'm still working on that one myself)...His finale was climbing a water tower and walking out on the scaffolding blindfolded.. it didn't seem like quite a big enough finish to end the special with.

Immediately after this show, TLC showed the David Blaine: Street Magic special again, and I was struck by how much influence this show had on the world of magic, and how strong the storyline was.. I still think Street Magic will go down as one of the most influential magic shows of all time.... Kriss Angel, will benefit greatly once he decides whether he wants to present his magic as theatrical, or the "real deal"... you can't have it both ways...
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I am a huge Criss Angel fan, and I have to say that I was really dissapointed in the special. There was not enough effect in the show, too much talk. I also felt like they spent way too much time on the Submerged thing. I agree with Geoff, the fish hooks were a lot more impressive. And a lot of my admiration for him was dashed when he did the standard riffle force trick seen on every magic special in the last 10 years. I still think he is a great performer, and if you like industrial style music, check out his band too. His music is very cool. I don't entirely agree that he should decide between theatrical and the "real deal" approach, but he should consider a different producer for the next special. I think it's ok to have more than one approach in magic, in fact you probably should. Stage magic is an understood artform that is overly grand; people are buying tickets and expect big production. But street magic is raw and "in your face". I think if a guy really could do all this freaky magic for real, he would still put on an elaborate stage show, to give the audience what they want. Maybe Criss should have concentrated his special on either stage or close up, but if I only had one shot at a major television show, I'd want to get as much in as possible too.

I still think that Criss Angel is one of the most innovative magicians performing right now.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.spelz.net
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I'm not saying only pick close up or stage... but be consistent... Blaine pretends to be the second coming... thats his shtick.. he stays with it pretty consitantly... David Copperfield stays in character as an illusionist... everything you see is an illusion, whether its him going through a wall, or floating a rose up close.. Criss Angel, was very inconsistent in his character... some parts he was dancing around with an assistant, doing magic that was clearly an illusion... but then he's trying to be in your face, and make you think he has actual powers....
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
OK... The special (Mindfreak) was Ok... Lots of jumping around from one to another and the Finnish was a lil dull....

But ever consider last nite on 2 Seperate National Channels ( ABC family & PAX), we had Two shows of our art... Finally

And at a time that went up against the world series (Baseball).,.

Now only if we can get Valentine from Not showing his show (Secrets of Magic)... we will all be Happy

BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
Well, I have been wanting to see Criss Angel at his show here in NYC Live for quite some time. However, after seeing his television show, I have no desire to see Criss Angel.

I was totally unimpressed. And I hate to sound like such a critic, but aside from the levitating of the girl in the beginning, he didn't do anything (magically) impressive. He did what, two card tricks? Can you believe he actually did the coins-across matrix? I just felt like his magic talent was somewhere in the same neighborhood as mine, and that's not saying much considering he's the one with the television special. Did he not have a magic advisor or something?

To me, now, he's less of a magician and much more of a performer. To call himself a provocateur sounds like a joke. Like all he wants to do is go around and try to freak people out. Submerged was a stunt, lifting himself on fish hooks is a stunt (that a lot of chemically unbalanced people do on a regular basis, have you seen "The Cell?"), and walking blindfolded across the been was a stunt. None of those had to do with magic.

Criss Angel needs to decide where he fits in. His "schtick" may fit in nicely with New York City and gothic teenagers but probably won't sit comfortably with the "average" consumer.

But then again... he's geting paid. Smile

~Priest~
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I gotcha Geoff, and I agree with you. Actually, I agree with everything you said. If he would have concentrated on one "typed" of character, I think his impact would have been greater.

And Priest, don't get discouraged. I think it's easy for a lot of us to assume that the guys who get television shows are the most talented in their field. That's like saying only the really good bands get signed. Chances are, you just might be a better magician than Criss, and maybe that will inspire you to get a television special or try to further yourself. David Blaine is no technial master, but he had the hudspa to go for it and make something happen with the talent he had. Guys like Criss and David inspire me to keep at it and hope that one day too I'll get a lucky break. Go get 'em Priest, and good luck!

Happy Halloween everyone!

Click here to view attached image.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.spelz.net
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-22 12:31, Priest wrote:
Well, I have been wanting to see Criss Angel at his show here in NYC Live for quite some time. However, after seeing his television show, I have no desire to see Criss Angel.

I was totally unimpressed. And I hate to sound like such a critic, but aside from the levitating of the girl in the beginning, he didn't do anything (magically) impressive. He did what, two card tricks? Can you believe he actually did the coins-across matrix? I just felt like his magic talent was somewhere in the same neighborhood as mine, and that's not saying much considering he's the one with the television special. Did he not have a magic advisor or something?

To me, now, he's less of a magician and much more of a performer. To call himself a provocateur sounds like a joke. Like all he wants to do is go around and try to freak people out. Submerged was a stunt, lifting himself on fish hooks is a stunt (that a lot of chemically unbalanced people do on a regular basis, have you seen "The Cell?"), and walking blindfolded across the been was a stunt. None of those had to do with magic.

Criss Angel needs to decide where he fits in. His "schtick" may fit in nicely with New York City and gothic teenagers but probably won't sit comfortably with the "average" consumer.

But then again... he's geting paid. Smile

~Priest~

Chris Angel is a GREAT magician. Go see his show. I didn't see the special but I hear it was a lousy representation of what Chris does.

Chris is a true original. I unfortunately think he got pretty hung up on the whole David Blaine thing (Like a lot of talented and original magicians did). David Blaine standing on a pole for three days isn't magic either and you seem to like him.

Go see Chris's show, you might be pleasantly surprised. The show is really heavy and the industrial sound track is top shelf. Chris has a subtrunk presentation that is the most original in twenty or thirty years. This is coming from a guy who hates box jumping like poision.

Trust me when I say Cris has chops, REAL chops. You have gotten a very misleading impression of him from that special.

Something else you might want to keep in mind is you sound just like every other magican did about thirty seconds after Blaine's first special. "Can you believe he did "insert crap trick here" on national TV?"

To many magicians Blaine's first special looked like a magic shop demo. Every single trick in that special was what guys in magic shops coast to coast were selling to guys just starting out in magic. They even called it slum magic (before the special).

What they forgot was how powerful those tricks are to the uninitiated. We are magicians, we are familiar with the methods, Lay people still jaw drop when they see it.

I vanish a hank with a thumbtip in my street act. This is considerd "crap" magic. Lay people still gasp when I open my hand and it has vanished. The few people who know about thumbtips gasp when it changes color. Don't discount the effect of a trick on the general public because you are aware of it's simplicity.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Chris, seems to be doing everything right for his type of specs. Metal music will never get you the type of following that is wide spread though. Ask the over forty veiwers and the general opinion is that Chris is a freak. They do however, seem to like Blaine, as he comes across as the average guy on the street, with very special talents. (I think they are both a little cheesy, but thats my opinion and not the opinion of the average veiwer) Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-23 10:53, KingStardog wrote:
Ask the over forty veiwers and the general opinion is that Chris is a freak. They do however, seem to like Blaine, as he comes across as the average guy on the street, with very special talents. (I think they are both a little cheesy, but thats my opinion and not the opinion of the average veiwer) Smile

I'm over 40 and I like Chris Angel's act (missed the TV special). You have to remember that guys who are over 40 may very well have had cool-aid mohawks, wore 8 hole doc cherry reds, and listened to bands like Black Flag, the cramps, and The Sex Pistoles back in the dark ages. I graduated High School with Rob Zombie, back then he was just Bobby Cummings.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
DonBrandfas
View Profile
New user
Nevada
15 Posts

Profile of DonBrandfas
I'm over 50 and I really enjoyed Chris Angel's Mindfreak act! Kind of nice to see something different.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
I am 35, I liked the show, I guess. The timing of the special was right. Halloween and all....I have to say. He looks like a very wierd guy, not sure were he is coming from (what planet, etc.). Are his parents proud? Was this material for the ABC Family Channel? The last time I saw the meat hook thing was on a PBS documentary portraying the wacked out yo-yo's hippie freaks that attend "Burning Man Festival" in Nevada. It seems the meat hook thing is some sort of religious Native American thing. Wow, some people have way to much time on their hands. I have heard of self mutalation, but this takes it to a whole new level. I must remind you all that this is also brought to you by the same corporation that brought us "Blaine". Yes, I am speaking of Disney. Which in turn is Mickey Mouse. He is a goofy scary looking mindfreak alright. Right out of Disneyland.

I'm not going to bash the performance, or the character, I'm bashing the producers and film crew on this one.

What is the matter with these guys, can't they hold a camera still so we can all see what is going on? Does every situation in life resemble a drug induced rock music video. Someone actually received a college degree in film and worked on that special, I bet. Is this camera shooting technique used to mask the inept, bungling or clumsy coin work. Or can he really do a shadow coin routine? I cannot say for sure because the camera moved and jumped so erratically, I could not tell if he was doing a magic trick or assumming one of those odd Elvis like poses he does.

I am tired of the wierd and gritty unshaven ghetto magic. Let's get back to the good old days....now everybody chant with me ...Bill MA....LONE-my arms are hitting my chest...Bill MA...LONE

PS....I have never met you in person Danny Hustle....but America needs to know you! If I was a networked, pinstripped suited, county clubbing, corporate executive type that made decisions at ABC, I'd hire you for the next TV special!

Just by your posts and picture, I can tell you have got more originality that DB or CA or DC for that matter.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
To Danny and the others that pointed out some things, thanks! I agree that the special may have been a bad representation of Criss's magic, and I'm not going to count him out because of it. I think I will reconsider and go see his show after all.

I do like David Blaine very much. I don't think that standing on a poll for 3 days is very magical, nor is being buried for a week, or encase din ice. These are other things, endurance tests that David is doing. He's a magician first, but trying very nmuch to expand his experiences and test his own limits. I admire him for that. Secondly, I like David Blaine for much more than his magic. I do like his persona, and the way he presents it. It works very well for him. I personally feel that I an identify with him and the way he presents himself much more than others.

Also, the levitator, I agree that just because someone has a TV special doesn't mean that they are better magicians than someone else. That's totally somehting different. Presenting your magic, and getting a TV special takes two totally different kinds of attitudes, per se.

~Priest~
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-25 03:06, Priest wrote:

I do like David Blaine very much. I don't think that standing on a poll for 3 days is very magical, nor is being buried for a week, or encase din ice. These are other things, endurance tests that David is doing. He's a magician first, but trying very nmuch to expand his experiences and test his own limits. I admire him for that. Secondly, I like David Blaine for much more than his magic. I do like his persona, and the way he presents it. It works very well for him. I personally feel that I an identify with him and the way he presents himself much more than others.

~Priest~

You just PERFECTLY described why we should ALL at least have a modicum of respect for the guy!

Blaine's "schtick" is not my speed but when I saw the special, I tried to see it for what it was. Commercial entertainment for lay people. The demographic being hip (or trying to be)and young 13-30.

I sat back slack jawed and watched the nail being struck repeatedly on the head. For that audience, you could not have manufactured a better show. And I use that word because I don't think it was manufactured (in the corporate sense). It was the dream of a kid from Jersey. God bless him, I think he pulled off a miricle!

The next day TONS of kids (the resourse magic needs more than ever) flodded magic shops across America and became interested in our art.

A lot of them are sticking around.

Great points Priest!

Best,

Dan-

Quote:
On 2002-10-24 13:19, Bascomb wrote:

PS....I have never met you in person Danny Hustle....but America needs to know you! If I was a networked, pinstripped suited, county clubbing, corporate executive type that made decisions at ABC, I'd hire you for the next TV special!

Just by your posts and picture, I can tell you have got more originality that DB or CA or DC for that matter.

**Blush**

Thank you for the kind words sir! I hope you don't mind but I forwarded a copy of this portion of the post to every casting director and agent in L.A., and my mom.

I'm Just kidding!

My mom doesn't have email.

Best,

Dan-

sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
hehehe...im just thinking.... I wonder what would happen if DB or MF where to come onto this forum and read what this magic world thinks of them... Or maybe have them as an honored guest. hahahahahahahaha
Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
What makes you think they don't? You would be very surprised at who all the guests are since most internet magic searches pick up Café pages. Make sure you state that your comments are your opinion, and that you have actualy seen the show, book,effect that you are commenting on.

(my opinion) Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
It would be nice if they used their real names when they do visit. What have they got to hide???
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
giggalo183
View Profile
New user
new jersey
32 Posts

Profile of giggalo183
I was very impressed by mind freak the first time I watched it. The socond time I watched it, I noticed a few things that were annpying. For one thing their was no order. Isnt their supposed to be a climax. The show started with a bag, then the normal stuff, then another bang, then more normal stuff, then another bang. They shouldve used the water torture escape as the finally.
I kinda found his slow monotone voice annoying after a while. cause it sounded phony.
But over all Chris Angel is still one of the most innovative minds out their and to say he ahs no talent or isnt good is a total and complete lie. Hes a stage magician so dont expect to much street magic, and second I susspect the show was just to show off his water stunt, an dto get people to go see his show. All the mistakes I blame on bad directing, I think given the right team the show wouldve bee a great hit.his magic show is innovative an dunique u have to give him credit for that,and the most important thing to remember is that we are amgicians ahrdly naything impresses us. his target audience is layman,and it works outgood, im sure if his target audience was us magicians he wouldve impressed us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Criss Angel - MindFreak (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL