The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performance Mnemonics (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dorbolo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of dorbolo
I'd like to start a thread on memory acts and how they can be used in magic and mentalism. I am thinking of effects such

as:

Giant Memory: Audience calls out objects (10 - 30) that are written on a board and numbered. Spectator calls out any number and the performer can name the corresponding object.

Card Deck Memorization:

Performer memorizes a shuffled deck in minutes and can name any card sequence selected.

Magazine Memory Test:

A recent magazine is torn into individual pages and distributed. Audience members call

page numbers and the performer describes the page content.

Human Calendar:

Any day and year is called and performer can say what day of the week it falls on, etc.

Mind Erasing:

Ten items are listed as in Giant Memory. Spectator erases one at a time, calling numbers as s/he goes. One item is left, which performer can name.

I've been on the search for instances of such effects and methods. So far I've come up with Corrinda's excellent chapter in

"13 Steps to Mentalism" and a chapter in "Self-Working Number Magic" by Karl Fulves. Harry Lorayne briefly covers a magazine effect in his "Memory Book". Dominic O'Brien deals with deck memorization in "Learn to Remember."

Questions:

Who is performing memory acts these days?

How are they going over?

What are the valuable sources for methods?

What are your favorite effects?<br>

How do you see performance mnemonics fitting with magic and mentalism?

In good spirit,

Jon
JaquaiGul
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
31 Posts

Profile of JaquaiGul
Giant Memory: Audience calls out objects (10 - 30) that are written on a board and numbered. Spectator calls out any number and the performer can name the corresponding object.

My only experience has been with this one. I used a large blackboard and asked for a number from 1 to 100 and an object. I challenged them to be very specific (not just a car, but a yellow convertible). The effect is that both the numbers and the objects are mixed up. From time to time someone would repeat a number and when I mentioned it, everyone was surprised that I knew this. Once everthing is written (20 to 30 items), I would point to people who would say either a number or an object and I would tell them the other. I used the mneumonics from Harry Lorayne's books (for instance:How to Develop a Super-Power Memory, A Signet Book). It took me some time to work up to this but it was fun learning and performing.

JaquaiGul Smile
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Human Calendar: I just bought the book Mathemagics by Art Benjamin and it contains this effect.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
This is a great thread. I would like to commend to you an extension of the effect Jaquai described.

In 1961, Orville Meyer, one of the great minds of mentalism, published a pamphlet named "The Amazing Magic Square and Master Memory Demonstration." Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you might try some of the used book dealers. It is well worth trying to find for Orville's methods. Even I was able to learn it.

It combines the 4x4 Magic Square, disscussed in the "mathemagic" type books, with the object recall described by Jaqai. To keep the show moving, Orville recommended only 16 items which he had written in each of the squares.

I saw Raveen do a modified version of Orville's effect in the late 70's. It took up the first half of his show. He got a standing ovation. Raveen used two boards rather than one. One for the Magic Square and one for the list of objects.

The size of the board(s) can be varied for the audience size. You can use audiance assistants or your own. For small audiences you can do it yourself; however, using audience assistants permits you to do the act blindfolded, which is how I did it.

It takes work and practice to be able to pull it off, but it is as powerful a piece as you will find. Also, there is plenty of room of drama and humor.

I will have more to say on this thread, but I have taken up enough room for now.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:

On 2001-12-30 16:58, Marelli wrote:

Orville Meyer published a pamphlet named "The Amazing Magic Square and Master Memory Demonstration." It combines the 4x4 Magic Square, disscussed in the "Mathemagic" type books, with the object recall described by Jaqai.

Craig Snader offers a similar approach in his book 'Mind Square', and I was under the impression this combination of methods was original with him, but I could be wrong.

I've had the pleasure of seeing 8 times world memory champion Dominic O'Brien present his memory act and it is simply awesome. One of his pet stunts is to get two specs to create a random 100 digit number, which he then memorizes in about 2 minutes, and then recalls perfectly. It perhaps doesn't sound like much, but when I saw him do it, it got the hugest response from any audience I've ever seen for anything.

The fact that it is REAL, seems to make a huge difference.

I think Dominic knows more than anyone else about memory techniques, and certainly a lot more than Lorayne, who, though he has written books etc., has never entered the world memory contest. Possibly because he knows he will lose to O'Brien. I recommend Dominic's books and course's on memory training.

I've never presented a giant memory act or routine. What I did do, for several years, was present a course on mnemonic training techniques which I presented to schools and colleges. I called it 'Memory training for revision' and it went down quite well.

http://www.ian-rowland.com. The most amazing cards in the world and the famous Levitating Cat.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Rob Wallis
View Profile
New user
The Other California
73 Posts

Profile of Rob Wallis
There's an effect on the Bob Cassidy video which appears to be a memory effect of card memorization. What I'm wondering is if this type of demonstration in the context of a mentalism show would be effective?
Tig Wallis
The Comic Psychic
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I’m sorry to say that it looks like this thread is coming off the spool. Before, it disappears, I wanted to provide some additional input.

An answer to Ian. You got me. If he published before 1961 then you could be right, and Orville provided a new method. All I know is whoever invented it, it really plays great.

As to the question of whether a "Giant Memory" act is being done by any "name" persons in the U.S. and whether it is a viable act? I turned to a person I respect for his knowledge of mentalism and the related arts, Lee Earle. He is also an expert on mnemonics. Here is what Lee had to say:

Marelli: "Lee, do you know of anyone that is doing a complete "Super Memory" act and do you think a show of this type would be viable in the U.S. market?"

Lee Earle: "Loraynne is still doing a show or two, but you could hardly call it an ’act’. I don’t think there’s much of a market for it. I mean it doesn’t use audience participation, it’s not musical or colorful, it has no "payoff" for the audience and, at it’s root, is some guy showing off how clever he is. As a quick and contrasting turn in a variety show or as a separate routine by a Mentalist, it’s still viable - but a complete act? I have my doubts."

I think Lee has some excellent points that must be considered before putting in the time and effort to develop a full evening of mnemonic routines.

As to your question as to whether a "Giant Memory" effect fits in a magic or mentalism act. I believe it can be in either; however, it should be remembered that a mentalist is demonstrating powers of the mind. One of the powers of the mind possessed by everyone is memory; therefore, I believe it fits the mentalist well. For example, Marc Salem was opening his acclaimed show, with the magic square.

I do an opener of memorizing then reciting back a string of 25 to 30 numbers randomly generated by my audience. I have never failed to get a tremendous response from it. So, obviously I believe it can be part of a mentalist’s act.

As to some references.

1. The already mentioned Cassidy’s Memorized Deck is very strong. He actually used it in his act. Use the version on his video tape.

2. Zufal put out a series of pamphlets devoted to super memory. Calendar effect, etc., Contact used book dealers.

3. Master Memory Feats, Burling Hull, The Amazing World Of Mentalism, Micky Hades, 1976. The mentalist demonstrates that he/she has memorized over 600 digits. I am personally interested in this one and am working on it’s presentation. Again, contact a used book dealer.

I hope I have given you some "food for thought." Good luck. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Here is a link for Chris Hares website in the UK he is a memory man as you seek.

from his postings on the mentalist asylum he seems a nice guy if you wanted to email him

phillip

http://www.magicmemoryman.com/NewFiles/page2.html
dorbolo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of dorbolo
Marelli,

I asked Lee Earle the same question about one year ago and got a similar answer.

Despite the presentation challenges of a mneumonics act, I am intruiged by the potentials. A key to strong performance is getting people to care about the subject-matter. People really do care about their memories, especially since most of us have such feeble memory power. I've seen the creation of false memory and the erasure of memory play to great effect in hypnosis shows.

After all, if there is one thing that every magician (indeed, every performer) seeks -- it is to be remembered!

Thanks to all for the insightful comments and ideas.

In good spirit,

Jon
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
I think Harry Lorayne's How to Develop a Super Power Memory is a great book for training your memory.

His other books and courses in that area seem to contain much the same, reworked.

I have got a couple of sets of the Zufall pamphlets (there's about five hundred books & a thousand magazines in the store-room) but there is one missing.

I can't remember which one Smile
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
I think that Ian is right on the money in so far as O'Brien being THE name in mnemmonics nowadays. Lorayne is a great teacher but he indeed does not perform mnemmonics at the level that O'Brien does. Andi Bell, David Thomas, Micheal Tippen, all acknowledge a debt to O'Brien. He has brought one of the oldest concepts in menmmonics to new heights.

Is mnemmonics as a performance a practical proposition? I have seen a guy do the 16 squares Magic square/memory combination and the teen audience was absolutely thrilled. And... the performer was in his late sixties! That the performer could bridge across such a generational gap speakes volumes of his skill as an entertainer.
The magazine memory act is a great bit.
I do perform irregularly, as well as the Cassidy Card memory - which, incidently, I can perform 'straight' i.e. without pre-arrangement, with a borrowed deck.

It is interesting that there are other effects, besides Cassidy's, which when properly performed are indistinguishable from the real thing - notably Deep Sea Digits, from an early Syzygy issue.

If you are interested as what can be achieved without faking it, check out:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/memory.html

...And weep. the times for card memorizing and calendar computing are nothing short of amazing.

If I may add... there are other bits of classic memory feats which are around. This is taken from Dr Amazing's web site:

"Dr. Amazing's memory magic show lasts up to one hour and it is a completely different performance than his hypnosis shows.
He performs demonstrations of memory recall that no one else in the world can do.

When the audience gives Dr. Amazing any number between 60 and 100, see him instantly compute the numbers to be placed in a square containing sixteen smaller squares so that every column, every row, each of the diagonals, the four corner squares and the four center squares all add up to the number chosen by the audience.

And this without Dr. Amazing looking at the squares!

Watch Dr. Amazing move the chess knight around the chess board so that it jumps to every one of the 64 squares without landing on any square more than once. He'll start from any square chosen by the audience, and he can do it blindfolded!

Be astounded as Dr. Amazing remembers a number consisting of up to 20 digits when he recalls the powers of two up to the 64th power.

At the beginning of the memory show, Dr. Amazing gives a number to many members of the audience. During the performance, he will don a blindfold and tell each person what number was assigned to him.

It is the last bit which intrigues me.
I think I can see in it an old Scarne stunt. Has anyone seen Dr Amazing perform, or seen that last bit done?

For the curious, Dr Amazing's site is:

http://www.memorysite.com/HypnosisPerformances.htm
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Rodan
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Rodan
Another reference for Number Magic is in Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book".
It contains a number of nice effects, including a great explanation of Magic squares.
I've found this a great little book which teaches great stuff in a very understandable way. Great for beginners and experienced alike.
"To assert the impossibility of a fact comes to the same thing as saying that it has not as yet been observed; nothing authorises us to decide that it will never be observed." Joseph Maxwell 1858-1938
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Very true. The math stuff...great.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I have a memory effect published on

http://www.connoisseur-conjuring.org.uk/

(Private tab - trick section)
in the effect the memorisation is used Secretly. I think it is worth a read for any mentalist as the way the memory is used in this effect you may not have considered.

phillip
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
The following page
http://members.aol.com/beagenius/cardmemory.html
Has an interesting system for cards, originally published by Bob Farmer in MAGIC. It is easy to learn and not based on conventional mnemmonics (which is not a drawback - consider Dominic O'Brien's success).

There is a training program as well to learn the mnemmonics - Pretty easy.
Pretty cool.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
MarkAllison
View Profile
New user
Hemel Hempstead, England
53 Posts

Profile of MarkAllison
I can only add to the recommendation of Bob Cassidy's "Card Memory" on his "Mental Miracles" DVD. While it is a trick rather than genuine memory work, the presentation involves audience participation and is very visual. I performed this for the first time yesterday as the closer to a 20 minute set and it got an amazing audience response.

Genuine memory techniques could be used and presented in the same manner, although I think that the pacing would be much slower both for the actual memorization stage, and the calling of who holds each card.

Cheers

Mark
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
Friends,

In his book, "Reputation Makers", Harry Lorayne has a detailed account of how he does both the rapid magic square and the routine for memorizing words put in the cells as they are called out by the audience. Then making a magic square as these words are called out again randomly.

This latter routine has been commented on in earlier posts.

Hal

Friends,

I meant to mention the approach to Rapid Magic Squares in Doug Dyment's hot new book,
"Mindsight".

Hal
Mike Spremulli
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Mike Spremulli
Greetings All:

A I stumbled upon a mnemonics web site that I think is VERY interesting and beneficial to performers.

There are all sorts of number-to-text converters, quizzes, etc. You can find it at
http://www.pseudonumerology.com

If you have any interest in mnemonics, you definately want to check this out.

Enjoy-

Mike Spremulli

Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Anyone interested might want to check back into Peter Reveen's stage show of the late sixties and seventies... he did a segment that included the Giant Memory and the Knight's Tour. Peter is Lance Burton's manager and I know his show was reviewed in Genii many years ago.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Just for fun, here's a list I keep of memory-related effects. It's hardly complete, but should give anyone interested in memory and mnemonics some places to search. Enjoy!

Articles -

Jazzin - Details of an improvisational routine done with a memorized deck,
Workers 5, Michael Close

Lazy Magicians Memorized Pack - An excellent random-looking stack that easily allows the performer to know the exact location of any given red card,
Concepts & Deceptions, Barrie Richardson

Memory Page, The - A full memory course available free on the web,
URL: http://www.premiumhealth.com/memory/

Mind Tools - Memory Techniques and Mnemonics - Another full memory course available free on the web,
URL: http://www.demon.co.uk/mindtool/memory.html

Nikola Card System - How to memorize and apply the Nikola Card System,
The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, Jean Hugard

On The Memorized Deck - Details on choosing, learning, and handling a memorized deck,
Workers 5, Michael Close

T. K. Over Time - How to use mnemonics to generate unique cold readings for each person,
Linking Ring - November 1990, Rudy Hunter

Total Recall - Yet another full memory course available free on the web,
URL: Click Here!

Tuesday Night With Ahab, Einstein and the Queen of Halloween - A new mnemonic system for remembering cards,
MAGIC - January 1999, Stan Allen (Trick by Bob Farmer)

Legitimate Memory Demonstrations -

400 Digit Recall - A spectator calls out a set of coordinates from A1 to J10 from a 10x10 grid, and the magician recalls the four digit number located at that point,
How To Develop A Super Power Memory,
Harry Lorayne

Alphabet Trick, The - Performer can repeat the numerical position of any letter in the alphabet, or repeat the alphabet backwards,
Zufalls Memory Trix No. 2, Bernard Zufall

Amazing Memory Test, The - 20 to 30 objects are called out by the audience, and the performer recalls the objects and their order,
13 Steps to Mentalism, Tony Corinda

American Recall - Performer is able to recall all the American states, capitals, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, and the 100 largest cities in and out of order,

Barries Move a Card - Performer memorizes a shuffled deck, one card is moved, and the performer can tell which one,
Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Calendar Memorizing - Any date from January 1, 1752 to December 31, 2399 is given, and the day of the week is recalled,
Zufalls Memory Trix No. 3, Bernard Zufall

Card Pairs - 10, 15 or more people select two cards each and show them to the performer. After the cards are all turned face down, spectator shows one card, and performer names the other,
The Memory Book, Harry Lorayne

Dollar Bill Trick, The - 3-6 people each show you a dollar bill from their wallet, and performer later recalls all the serial numbers,
Zufalls Memory Trix No. 5, Bernard Zufall

Fusillade - 20 audience members introduce themselves and select cards (which are returned to the deck & lost). Performer finds each and every card, and recalls each spectators name while doing so,
Fusillade, Doc Eason

Human Encyclopedia (Walking Almanac) - Cards with various encyclopedic information are passed out to the audience, and the performer recalls all the information requested, even reciting numeric information backwards,
Zufalls Memory Trix No. 6, Bernard Zufall

Hide N Seek Cards - Several spectators select cards, and name them along with a hiding place. When hiding places are called out, performer names the card and vice versa,
The Memory Book, Harry Lorayne

Knights Tour Plus - 64 spectators names are recorded on a chessboard. Without looking, performer calls out spectators names, so as to effect a knights tour,
Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic, Martin Gardner (Trick by Koltanowski)

Magazine Memorizing - Spectator calls out a page number in a magazine, and the magician recalls notable details about the page,
Zufalls Memory Trix No. 1, Bernard Zufall

Memorizing A Deck Of Playing Cards - A deck of cards is shuffled by a spectator, and then examined by the performer. The performer is then blindfolded and can recall all the cards in and out of order,
Zufalls Memory Trix No. 4, Bernard Zufall

Memorizing a Magazine - Spectator calls out a page number in a magazine, and the magician recalls notable details about the page,

Memorizing Numbers - A spectator calls out a set of coordinates from A1 to J10 from a 10x10 grid, and the magician recalls the three digit number located at that point,

Mental File Index - 20 to 30 objects are called out by the audience, and the performer recalls the objects and their order,

Mental Shopper - Five items are named, and the performer recalls all the prices and totals them together,
The Linking Ring - May 1993, Doug Canning & Tom Craven

Miracle Memory - 20 items are called out and put on a list. Performer, without looking at the list, can recall each item and its position,
Entertaining with ESP, Tony Doc Shiels

Missing Cards - Five cards are removed from the deck, and the magician names them after looking over the remaining 47,
You Can Remember - Session 10, Bruno Furst

Missing Cards - Up to 13 cards are removed from the deck, and the magician names them after looking over the remaining cards,
How To Develop A Super Power Memory, Harry Lorayne

Missing Numbers - All but 5 numbers from 1 to 100 are shouted out by the audience, and the magcian recalls which five where never called,

Octillions - 10 people each write down 3 numbers and performer is able to recall all 30 digits in and out of order,

Photographic Memory, The - 10 spectators call out a banknote serial number and their initials. Performer can recall all serial numbers and initials,
13 Steps to Mentalism, Tony Corinda

Remembering Playing Cards in Connection with People - 12 people pick cards, and performer recalls who has what card,
You Can Remember - Session 10, Bruno Furst

Super Memory - The cards are shuffled, and then called out at the rate of one card every few seconds, and magician can instantly recall the location of each and every card,
101 Easy-To-Do Magic Tricks, Bill Tarr

Tarbell Rapid Memory Act, The - 20 to 30 objects are called out by the audience, and the performer recalls the objects and their order, Tarbell Course in Magic - Vol. 8, Harlan Tarbell

Tony Andruzzis Magazine Memory Act - Pages of a current magazine are distributed among the audience. The audience calls out page numbers, and performer describes the page in detail, Tony Andruzzis Magazine Memory Act, Tony Andruzzi

Covert Use of Memory Technique -

Almost Real Mind Reading - Performer divines multiple randomly-chosen cards, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Angels Flight - Three selected cards are divined in increasingly impossible manner by the performer, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Any Card at Any Number - Spectator names a card, and a number from 1-52. The named card is found at the named position, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Automantic - Spectator deals two piles of fortune cards, one for himself, and one for the performer. Both fortunes prove amazingly accurate, San Francisco Notes, Max Maven

Birthday Book, The - After a spectator names her birthday and selects a card without looking at it, she looks up her birthday and notes which card is written in it - the same card she selected, Workers 5, Michael Close

Card Stab, The - After a deck is wrapped in a napkin, a card is named and the magician stabs next to it with a knife, Workers 5, Michael Close

Case of Simple Logic, A - A spectators selected card is quickly and cleanly named, Desert Brainstorm - Vol. 2, Larry Becker

Chess Knight Memory Feat - A spectator chooses a square on a chessboard, numbered from 1 to 64, as a starting point, and the magician, starting at that square, moves the knight using only legal moves and stops on each square only once, Zufalls Memory Trix No. 6, Bernard Zufall

Chess Knights Tour, The - A spectator chooses a square on a chessboard, numbered from 1 to 64, as a starting point, and the magician, starting at that square, moves the knight using only legal moves and stops on each square only once, Tarbell Course in Magic - Vol. 8, Harlan Tarbell

Clairvoyance - Blindfolded medium divines cards selected by audience, concluding with a game of psychic blackjack, MAGIC - December 1992, Stan Allen (Trick by Alan Wakeling)

Crosswords - Spectator selects a word from a partially-filled crossword puzzle, and the performer divines the word (Also contains details of Numper - Max Mavens mnemonic progressive anagram list!), Life Savers, Michael Weber

Dissolving the Berglas Problem - Spectator names a card, and a number from 1-52. The named card is found at the named position, Linking Ring - March 1994, Barrie Richardson

Death After Dinner - After choosing a victim, method of death, and killer with the magician out of the room, the magician returns, and announces the victim, how they were killed, and who the killer is, The Linking Ring - October 1987, Max Maven

Do You Want to Continue - A named card is found to be the only card in the same position in two different decks of cards, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Flushed With Success - A selected card attracts four other cards- completing a royal flush, Workers 5, Michael Close

Fooled - After a spectator pushes two cards out of the deck, magician uses one to determine the identity of the other, and uses the second to determine how far down the first is, Semi-Automatic Card Tricks - Vol. 2, Steve Beam

Four of a Kind - After failing to turn over the other three cards that match the value of the selected card, magician checks the value of the selected card, and instantaneously all three cards of the same value turn face up, Juan Tamariz: Lessons in Magic - Vol. 2, Juan Tamariz

Fourteenth Book Test - Any word in an ungaffed book is selected, with the medium out of the room. The medium returns, and divines the word, 13 Steps to Mentalism, Tony Corinda

Full Deck Passover - A named card vanishes from one deck and re-appears in another, Workers 5, Michael Close

Haunted Deck, The - A named card is removed from the deck by a disembodied hand, Workers 5, Michael Close

Hawk, The - Cards are chosen by two spectators, who then replace them in the deck and shuffle the deck. Performer proceeds to find one card dealing through the deck face-down, and names the other one!, Max Mavens VideoMind, Max Maven

Human Equation, The - 6 people each call out a number, and then shuffle themselves into random order. The performer writes down addition problem, and the answer corresponds to the order in which the spectators are now in, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Invisible Deck, The - A spectator names any card, and its shown to be the only reversed card in a completely ordinary deck, Very, Very Close, Vol. 1 (video) & Workers 5, Michael Close

Mental Divination - 5 spectators each create 5-word lists, and secretly choose 1 word each. Performer picks words out of a hat, and is able to divine which word was chosen by whom, Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic, Martin Gardner (Originator unknown)

Mind Reading with Musical Pieces - Songs are selected by the audience, and medium/pianist divines and plays the song, You Can Remember - Session 10, Bruno Furst

Mind Reading with Objects - Objects are selected by the audience, and medium divines what cards they are without looking, You Can Remember - Session 10, Bruno Furst

Mind Reading with Playing Cards - Cards are selected by the audience, and medium divines what cards they are without looking, You Can Remember - Session 10, Bruno Furst

Monkey in the Middle - A named card instantaneously appears between two jokers, Workers 5, Michael Close

Myopia - Two spectators choose cards which are subsequently divined by the magician, Workers 5, Michael Close

OutSmart - Using a phrase mentioned at the top of the routine, the magician spells down the named card, Ah-Ha!, David Harkey and Eric Anderson

Pseudo Memory - Spectator shuffles deck, and records cards as called off by the performer. Performer then recalls every cards, verified by spectators list, Self-Working Number Magic, Karl Fulves

Quaranta - Performer divines a word, a picture, a five-digit number, and a word, each chosen by one of four people from a custom deck of cards, The Linking Ring - April 1996, Max Maven

Smiling Mule, The - A named card appears between the two red jacks, Very, Very Close, Vol. 1 (video) & Workers 5, Michael Close

Sport of Memorization, The - A spectator selects a sports card, and then a playing card. The playing card has the signature of the selected player on the back., MAGIC - March 2001, Stan Allen (Trick by Joshua Jay)

T For Two - The medium is blindfolded, yet divines objects, messages, and even dollar bill serial numbers held by the magician, Falkenstein & Willard - Vols. 1 & 2, Glenn Falkenstein and Frances Willard

Take My Word - A list of 10-12 objects is created by the audience, and one is selected. The medium can divine which one was chosen, 13 Steps to Mentalism, Tony Corinda

Talismanacle, Variation One - A card is selected and the deck is shuffled afterwards. Performer then uses an amulet to discern the chosen card, Mind, Myth & Magick, T. A. Waters

Thought Transference - Spectator chooses a six digit number, calls a phone number given to him by the magician, and the person on the other end names the number, URL: http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~mueller/TOTAL/stu.html

Tridex - Performer divines each of three spectators cards in a different way, Mind, Myth & Magick, T. A. Waters

Tut Tut - The 4 aces entrap a selected card, Workers 5, Michael Close

Twenty-Five Words - Five spectators each call out 5 words, and mentally choose one. All 25 words are written down, and dropped into a container. , Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic, Martin Gardner

Ultra Mind, The - Performer duplicates hidden drawing randomly chosen by spectator, Self-Working Number Magic, Karl Fulves

Wishing Trick, The - A named card rises to the top, followed by the location of a named card at a selected number, Workers 5, Michael Close

Simulated Memory Demonstrations -

Card Memory - A deck of cards is shuffled by the audience, and memorized by the performer. He then recalls which card is where, Mental Miracles, Bob Cassidy

Chromagnon - Spectator shuffles the deck, and attempts to memorize the sequence of red and blacks. The performer is able to recall the order of reds & blacks, and in even more detail, Thabbatical, Phil Goldstein

Close-up Memory Demonstration - A card from a shuffled, memorized deck is moved by the spectator, and identified by the performer. Someone calls a number from 1-52, and performer names the card at that spot, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Computer Brain - A spectator names a number from 1-8, and performer recalls the 10-digit number associated with it, Entertaining with ESP, Tony Doc Shiels

Days and Dates - Given any date in the current, previous, or next year, magician can name the day of the week, URL: http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~mueller/TOTAL/stu.html

Deep Sea Digits - Spectators call out dozens of digits, which are then memorized by the performer and recalled perfectly, Syzygys Best, Vol. 1, Lee Earle

Dollar Bill Poker - Spectator removes a dollar bill and calls out the serial number. He then circles a single digit, and calls out the remaining digits in any order. Performer names the omitted digit, Thabbatical, Phil Goldstein

Fantastic Memory - Spectator is given a list of nine 21-digit numbers and the magician recalls any 21-digit number requested from the list, URL: http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~dennisl/CMS/act......html#CW2

Flash Memory - After the magician memorizes which of four rows have what cards in them, a spectator names which rows have cards of his chosen value in it, and the magician not only names the value but which rows have the which suit of that value in it, Skullduggery, Leo Boudreau

Flash Mnemonics - Magician memorizes the deck, spectator removes a card, and magician looks through deck once more and announces which card is missing, The Charlatans Handbook, Sid Fleischman

Ill Guess Your Weight - Performer demonstrates cutting skill by cutting EXACTLY the same number of cards as spectator. Then, performer memorizes the deck, turns it face-down, and cuts exactly to the spectators selected card, The Breather: The Ultimate Crimp, Bob King

Lorayne Storm, A - After having a selected card returned, and memorizing the entire deck, the magician names the location of the card, as well as some of the cards surrounding it, Genii - April 1989 & Apocalypse - November 1979, Harry Lorayne

Memorable Deck Memorization - A borrowed deck is shuffled and memorized. A card is named by the spectator, and the spectator recalls its location and counts down to it in the deck, Linking Ring - March 1994, Barrie Richardson

Memorease - Out of three spectators, one is given a magic amulet, and only that spectator is able to remember a list of 10 or 12 letters after being shown it only once, Chronicles - No. 28 & Self-Working Number Magic, Karl Fulves (Trick by J. K. Hartman)

Memory - After noting which cards remain in the deck, in order to deduce the one missing card, performer notes that TWO cards are actually missing, one being the selected card, and the other having been left in the card case, Ted Lesleys Working Performers Marked Deck Manual, Ted Lesley

Memory - 1st spectator fails to recall a list of 10 words out of order, while a 2nd spectator, whos been temporarily given a super memory, recalls them perfectly with only a little thought, Chronicles - No. 22, Karl Fulves (Trick by Bob Paul)

Mind Mirror - Performer memorizes a shuffled deck, and demosntrates by recalling location of a named card, and recalling the card at a named position, Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic, Karl Fulves

Memory Test, The - Performer memorizes 1/3 to 1/2 the deck, has the spectator remove a card behind his back, and deduces which card was removed, Scarne On Card Tricks, John Scarne (Trick by Charles Jordan)

Mental Countdown - From a shuffled deck, spectator points to a single card in the deck, and magician uses his memory to recall the exact position of the card, Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic, Karl Fulves

Mind Erasing - Spectator crosses out items memorized earlier, and calls out their number as he erases them. Performer recalls which one wasnt erased (see also Digit Memory), Self-Working Number Magic, Karl Fulves

Mind Mirror - A card is chosen by a spectator and lost in the deck. Performer memorizes deck, and spectator removes their card. Performer, with only a quick look at the deck, is able to name it, Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic, Karl Fulves

Phenomenal Memory, A - After having a selected card return to the deck and memorizing the spread, the magician turns his back, has the spectator move his selected card, turns around, and names the card that was moved, Card College - Vol. 1, Roberto Giobbi

Pseudo Memory - After the magician cuts and shuffles the deck, the thought-of card is named, and the magician recalls how far down in the deck it is, Epilogue - November 1968, Edward Marlo

Quasi-Memorized Deck, The - A pack of cards, shuffled by the audience, is distributed between 2-3 audience members, and the performer recalls which cards are where, Theater of the Mind, Barrie Richardson

Si Stebbins Master Memory Test - After a shuffled deck is handed out to an audience, performer not only recalls the entire deck in random order as he takes back the cards, but can recall the exact location of any named card, Scarne On Card Tricks, John Scarne (Trick by Si Stebbins)

Super Count - One card is removed from a group of 10, and performer looks through the 10 quickly, and announces the missing card, Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic, Karl Fulves

Super Scam - A subtlety in which a mistake proves that you really have memorized the deck, Apocalypse - February 1983, Harry Lorayne (Trick by Terry LaGerould)

That Rings A Bell - 3 spectators each write down a 3 digit number, and a fourth totals them. Performer recalls where in the phone book a number with those last four digits is located, Entertaining with ESP, Tony Doc Shiels

Wizards Pocketbook, The - After having the spectator mentally select a card, magician asks on which of six pages (each containing the name of 30 cards), the cards appear, and magician recalls which card is common only to those pages, Linking Ring - April & May 1993, Eugene E. Gloye & Prof. Hoffman

Your Bill for My Bill - Five dollar bills are collected from the audience, and the serial numbers are memorized instantly, and then recalled by the performer, Falkenstein & Willard - Vol. 3, Glenn Falkenstein and Frances Willard

-Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performance Mnemonics (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL