The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » What exactly is a Himber Wallet ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I am doing my research on a wallet to perform the card to wallet routine, and I am finding some excellent topics here on the Café. (Although most are regarding peoples preference to a make due to its quality)

But what does Himber actually mean ?
- Is the name of the person who invented the wallet ?
- Is the style of the wallet ?
(If it is can someone explain the defintion of the stlye)
- Is the style of loading the card into the wallet ?
(If so can some also explain this)
- Or is it a combination of the above.

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Richard Himber offered magcom a nicely designed wallet to manage certain kinds of flat object switches.

Please use the online and google search functions for more information as we can not get too detailed about the "what" here in the open threads of Café.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A Himber (or exchange) wallet is pretty much not good for card to wallet in the classic sense.

It can be done, but is difficult. A wallet, like the Balducci/Kaps or the LePaul "style" IMHO are is best

At this time my personal favorite is a hip pocket style as a gambler's cop puts me in perfect position to use it. A move I can do better than any others.

The Himber wallet was marketed by the late bandleader and magician, Richard Himber. His material was high quality and came with exceptional routines. One of the people most responsible for his magic was a young employed named Persi Diaconis, who invented the Himber Ring. Himber also used the services of one of the best mechanics of his time, Conrad "Connie" Haden. Haden's coin work has probably never been exceeded. Haden also created the Channing Pollock vanishing cage (cage full of doves) that has been "copied" by dozens of manufacturers.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Thanks for comments.
Jonathan - I understand the need to restrict detail on the Café. But it also makes it hard in this case to make a personal judgement on the items without going out and purchasing each type of card to wallet.

Take for example Pete's comments -
"A wallet, like the Balducci/Kaps or the LePaul "style" IMHO are is best"

What is a "LePaul style" wallet? Will it suit my style? That is hard to answer without understanding the principle of the load, which of course cannot be commented on in detail on the Café. But if I was to go into a Magic Store I am sure if I was deemed to have sufficient magic knowledge the store owner would be more than happy to demonstrate the principles behind each type of wallet, including the pros and cons. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a any magic stores where I live. Hence my line of questioning.

All the best
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Millarhouse, That is where a little initiative and google can provide a lot of information.

Himber Wallet returns 4170 hits.

Googling Le Paul wallet provides 200,000 plus hits.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Euangelion, Googling is good. But none I find tell you the principles of the loading etc,... (Plenty of sites found to buy one from)

So without trying to offend you, I believe you are missing my point. I would like advice on the points of difference of each type of wallet etc..., just the same as if you had a one-on-one conversation with a magician who was knowledgable in such areas. But as pointed out to me, this is hard to do without breaking the rules of the Café.

Regards
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Being an honorary Kiwi... bestowed on me by the late Denis Hulme, I shall PM you with what you need to know.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I have read some good card to wallet routines that involve the Himber wallet, though it is really not the best wallet for that type of effect.

Richard Himber was the first to market a really good quality wallet of this type, though didn't invent it. It is recorded in "Sams Magic -The Magic of Sam Shwartz" that he showed Himber a wallet of this kind.

There was a book on Card to Wallet by Jerry Mentzer and if you are researching wallets and routines that give this effect, it mat be the best book to track down for your research.

For more information and routines specifically with the Himber Wallet one can obtain the book of the same name by Harry Lorayne.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » What exactly is a Himber Wallet ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL