The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Double sawing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Flying Ace
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of The Flying Ace
Hey guys, I just recently heard of a "Double Sawing" illusion in which two girls are sawed in half, and then their tops are "switched." In other words, if one was wearing a blue dress, and the other was wearing a red dress, they leave the illusion with one wearing a red top with a blue bottom, and vice versa. I had never heard of this before, and I'm wondering if its for real. Have any of you ever heard of this before? And if so, do you know who performs it?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1321 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
It's been around a while. Doug Henning did it on one of his specials. He was "teaching" Bill Cosby how to do a trick and they mixed things up. It was basically two thin model sawings and a simple costume change.

Thanks,
Richard
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
202 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
I believe it's been around since the late 50's or early 60's. Billy McComb first did it with a man and a woman and I think Channing Pollock is credited with performing it with two women first.

Mark Wilson has also done a triple sawing using three thin models and having all three assistants getting mixed up.

Matt
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
I have always thought an interesting variation on the "double-sawing" would be the following:

The theme is the history of magic, or the evolution of magic. An older "distinguished" magician would come on stage and do a sawing of an assistant in an "old-fashioned" long dress. The box is essentially a thick "thin-model" sawing one, and the classic 2 person cross-cut saw is used. Music from the 20s or so is played Once sawn the separated pieces are pushed back a ways, but left on stage. Then, a young magician comes onstage with his assistant in a skimpy two-piece outfit. She is sawn in the thinnest "thin-model" possible, ideally with a laser or something "high tech" with modern music pumping out. Then, the two magicians meet and shake hands. Then, the halves are swapped and the ladies restored with the drastic difference in their costume tops and bottoms.
magicross
View Profile
New user
Staffordshire England
76 Posts

Profile of magicross
Hmmmn now that's a really good idea for this presentation.
Would be good to see that done, ive thought for a while that someone should do a double sawing with the "clearly impossible" sawing illusion. Might have to suggest that to a friend of mine.

I think its a great way to present this illusion that can give the whole effect a much needed twist, and hasnt been explored enough by recent magicains.

Any other thoughts?
Ross
Stafforshire UK

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=521027722
(feel free to add me)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Credit to Channing Pollock. Doug Henning did it Copperfield did it, Blackstone did with "super heros" at Sea World. It was a good twist but it takes a big show to pull off the staging properly.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
An interesting point about a double sawing set up. You have to buy both sawings at the same time. Even if you have a thin model around and decide to do it you can't just get another one. If they are not built to switch bottoms they won't line-up, even sawings from the same builder. Hummmmmm...just thought you might find that interesting. Smile

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Kline
OH Morgan....your always thinking !!
Hope all is well -

P.S.....going to HK soon ?
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Mark Kalin and Ginger also were doing the same illusion in Spellbound in Vegas.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Not sure if there was a performing rights issue here. Even though I know it has been done by several magi over the years.

I believe Channing was one of the first to perform it (to his credit) and then the rights went to Tihany of Mexico, when Doug H. wanted to do it, I believe the rights were traded for with some of Dougs' original material to Tihany for him to use. And then it went on American T.V. and it became open season for anyone else to copy.

Good grief, don't quote me on any of the above, but if it sets off any buzzers maybe someone can fill in the original history.

Too bad John Daniel, the originator of the thin sawing in N.A., of Owen magic, and creator of the "ShaZzam!" show (which I know own) is not on-line. Perhaps he could have enlightened us. Maybe Steve Z. or John B. can post if they know more about the history.

Blair Matrshall
"ShaZzam!"
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
202 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
I personally think Franz Harary's take on the double sawing.... Cross Culture, takes the illusion to a new level. Both girls in the same box, sitting back to back, having their lower halves swapped while spectators hold their feet. A great concept and great performance.

Matt
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Now that sounds neat!!!

Too bad Franz does not get the air time that someone as creative as he deserves.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I'd like to do a "Starsky & Hutch" themed double sawing of two men in my show.
Wes
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
This one has been done for quite a long time. I remember seeing one once that I though was very original. The two assistants, one was an african-american and the other one was caucasian. Both wearing very skimpy skirts revealing their long legs. When the switch was made, the visual effect was doubled! Unfortunately I can´t recall the performer!
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Didn't Doug Henning do the double sawing with Debbie and Bill Cosby's wife? That could be the one Jazz is thinking about.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
From the description by Irish_Matt this appears to be "Cross Culture," but I can't be sure since I have never personally seen the effect.

http://www.harary.com/images/magic-live-007.jpg

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Maybe that´s it MCM thanks. Will have to check the archives for that
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
202 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
NFOX, that is indeed a picture of Cross Culture. The screens are closed, feet pushed out holes at the bottom of the frame and held by spectators and the blade is actually that big sheet of steel. When the cutting is done, the girls upper halves spin around the table, back and forth until they are facing the other direction and therefor mixed up from their bottom halves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Double sawing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL