The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Anybody had any experience of the bending coin by Yural, that uses a pen gimmick? Interested in buying it, but it seems pricy.
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
If it's pricy... does it worth the price ?

Because you can do a killer bending coin in spectator's hand with no gimmick and good psychology...
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Yuval is a very nice guy, but unfortunately I can't say the same about this product. It's clunky, the "move" happens at a moment of intense heat, and there are a few logic flaws in the handling.

As Cendre said, similar effects can be created in other methods that don't use a gimmick, per se. There are numerous methods and presentations in print in various sources if you do some looking. My personal favorites are one by Ray Koenig and published by Kenton Knepper, and one by Banachek. There's another by Lee Earle, but it does use a gimmick that I feel is unnecessary, as well as a gimmicked handling by Bob Cassidy.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Ian,

Methods cannot be discussed in the public forum. There maybe a couple of books that describe a coin bend, I am unable to point you towards one. Perhaps someone else on this forum knows where a coin bend is described.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
NelsonMon
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of NelsonMon
Kenton Knepper has a manuscript out called An Enchanted Evening that has a Bending Coins stint with "no moves" among other mental routines. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm looking to buy it. Anybody read it yet? Any recommendations?
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Do some searching, and I think you will find a video clip on it on the internet. Currently I can't remember where I saw it, probably at some dealers site.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
You may want to check M. Ammar's "Easy to Master Money Miracles" (Vol.1) for an effect called "Bent Penny Transposition" which works like a charm and can easily be adapted into a mentalism piece where the spectator's psychic powers are used to bend a coin in his own hand.
Hope that helps.
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello Friends:
My late friend Ludwig Hanemann-Punx described a wonderful routine in his book "Fourth Dimensional Mysteries".
During the story "The Interrupted Dream" (see pages 1 to 28 in the afore mentioned book) he performed a "Bending Coin" also, which was marked in two different ways by a spectator. In his hands it looked beautiful. The PUNX-books are unfortunately out of print, but maybe you look into the bookshelf of a friend.....?!?

ESPecially and MAGICally

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Walt Noon had a coin effect where a real coin bent right in front of someones eyes. He sold the gimmiked coins with instructions how to make your own with any coin. He even had a demo video ou could order with all his effects on it demo'd.

http://www.pe.net/~magical/roddy/bq.htm
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1160 Posts

Profile of Banachek
coin bend described in Stephen Minch's mind over matter, penny bend (first coin bend in book I know of) in Milton Kort's Kort is now in session.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
There is also one in The Art of Astonishment.

Yaniv Deautsch
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
And a great visual bend in Sankey's big coin video.

Jerry
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
There is a bent penny effect in Bobo's Coin Magic. I currently cannot find where it is, but it's in there. It's the same on eBlaine uses I believe. Very simple, yet very effective.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Although I shouldn't say it, Yuval's idea is top notch. He should have made it $1000, so I could have it all to myself. Whatever others may say, THAT signature makes genuine believers out of people. I'm one of those sleight of hand guys, and the shuttle pass is one of the first moves I mastered years ago, but people check dates, and now with State coins, it's even more difficult to make a switch.

As far as the handling goes, there is actually NO heat during the crucial moment. The staging is perfect, and can even stand repeat performances with a little extra care.

I completely endorse any effort that rules out the idea of a switch.

(Here comes the debate...)
Collinsp
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Collinsp
Bit of a newbie here so first of all thanks for all the contributions i've had the enjoyment of reading on this board.

You might like to check out one Mr Derren Brown who will be extending his audience's in the near future to the USA, his book 'Pure Effect' describes the method for the following effect

The magi asks a spec to take a coin from his pocket note the date and hold it out enclosed in a fist, unseen or untouched the magi names both the denomination and the date correctly, as if that were not in itself enough the coin is outstretched again in the fist and with a little mental hocus pocus the spectator feels it bending opens his fist and reveals it bent to the other spectators. This is an incredible routine that uses no gimmicks or stooges (everything apart from the bending can be performed over the telephone!), currently will only work in the uk but should spurn some ideas for similar effects for the rest of the world.

P Smile
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 21:44, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Although I shouldn't say it, Yuval's idea is top notch. He should have made it $1000, so I could have it all to myself. Whatever others may say, THAT signature makes genuine believers out of people.

Not necessarily. I know I have a whole trail of "believers" without using any signature, because they've either seen me take coins right out of their handfuls of change and visibly bend them, or they've seen me take said coins from their hands, place them into their closed fists, and actually felt them bend while they held it. The question of a switch is never a possiblity if presented properly.

Again, they see me pick the coin up out of their hand, bend it, and hand it right back, without it ever leaving sight. Or, sometimes, they hold it in their hand and feel it bend--in this case, most will forget that I ever touched it, but again, those who do remember will remember that it never left sight.

I would wager, however, that you perform as a magician, not a mentalist, in which case there is a different belief factor affecting some of these things that requires a different level of proof. If I'm wrong on this, my apologies, but with your comment on being a "sleight of hand guy" and your username "Vernon on Coins", it seems fairly likely that mentalism isn't your primary area of focus (and there's nothing wrong with that, you just need to understand that there are fundamental differences to how mentalists and magicians are able to do things).

Quote:
As far as the handling goes, there is actually NO heat during the crucial moment. The staging is perfect, and can even stand repeat performances with a little extra care.

Not the way Yuval does it. Unless you don't consider holding a coin right up front and center and bending it as you show it and say boldly, "There's no way I could bend the coin with my hands" while hiding two clunky pieces inside your hands and maintaining an awkward grip on the coin and said two pieces to be a moment of high heat.

I'm all for bold moves and placements of moves, but only when they are intelligently placed. I don't feel that is the case here.

And what happens when somebody with wandering eyes catches you dismantling or reassembling the pen, or notices that it's missing momentarily, or inquires about why the pen is there when you don't use it for any other effect and the participant marks the coin with an entirely different marker?

Quote:
I completely endorse any effort that rules out the idea of a switch.

I endorse it, too, as long as it's an effort that doesn't undermine the usability and/or effectiveness of the effect. As for ruling out a switch, a signature isn't the only way to do so--competent and clean handling and presentation is also a very valid approach.

A signature, to me, screams "magic trick" loud and clear. Clean handling, with the belief factor that I cultivate as a mentalist, allows me to create at worst an equal (although I feel that it's far superior) effect without spending hundreds of dollars on a kludgy and, in my opinion, impractical gimmick (so that I can save it to spend on other equally expensive devices and books that do provide a value far exceeding their cost, unlike this product).

Respectfully,
Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
ehudsegev
View Profile
New user
New York City
5 Posts

Profile of ehudsegev
Oh my God - Andy! My friend!!!! What's wrong with people?!
Suddenly everybody is talking about layman as if they were all members of PEA and attend 72 HOURS! Smile

Today you say NO to switching, Tomorrow you will stop doing effects that involves talking!

You know what? Why not... Go ahead. Probably the next routine will look something like this:
Go to the audience, take a penny from someone you never met, go to second floor - sign your name on the coin - wrap it with aluminum, then with wax, put it in a safe and sit on it. Then close your eyes and imagine a mentalist who will be stupid enough to make so much preparation for a four seconds effect of coin bending. (I was counting)...

Guys, it's layman. That's their job - to believe...
If you need a signed penny to make the lay audience believe you're geniune - man, you've gotta work on your presentation.

When Andy took the penny out of my hand, it looked like it's 100% my penny.

Anyway take care,
Stop wasting your time on b.s.,
Live good,
Believe in God, or Jesus, or Budha or whatever you want to call him - and drink milk. It's good for mentalism.

Ehud Segev.
=============================================The truth is right here ...
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Quote:
Probably the next routine will look something like this:
Go to the audience, take a penny from someone you never met, go to second floor - sign your name on the coin - wrap it with aluminum, then with wax, put it in a safe and sit on it.

You are probably right.

In my opinion, a good coin bending is one that is quick, effective, and simple.

Why so many coin magicians have worked for years to build effective and near undetectable switches if we can't use them ? Smile

Moreover, Banachek has provided us with wonderful psychological subtleties in PK Silverware that can be applied in a split second to a coin bending.
That's what I do, and it's very effective.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Don't forget that a bending requires "big balls" Smile to be done correctly. And a gimmick will never replace showman experience. And once you have showman experience, you don't care about gimmicks anymore. The problem is solved.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

The only thing I want to add is that mentalists are known to be "mentalists". People want to be entertained, and sometimes we can create the "suspension of disbelieve" we need to generate the miracle. But it's temporary... sooner or later the rationalism will come back and they won't believe anymore at what they saw. But they have been entertained and it's the more important.

Many of you said in other threads on "Penny for..." that people clearly believed they bend the coin with their mind...
Maybe it's true for 50 % of spects, because 50 % of spects believe in somethings compatible with what you demonstrate. But I'm sure you can't destroy the "trick" felling in others mind. You can only try to bring them in your world for 10 minutes because they will desire to be entertained by what they will see in your world.

And if we success in doing this... we do a very good job Smile

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
As far as Yuval's handling, I agree, it's a bit bold and in your face. Mine is more subtle, and having performed this well over 300 times to date I can say with some authority that I've worked out all the kinks. But that's another story.

Andy, when people say "magician thinking" Vs. "mentalist thinking", what exactly does that mean? Honestly, I'm not sure.

Also, I treat the effect with great respect, nothing corney. When I peform it, I try to use all the words and subtle suggestions taught by Banechek and Kenton, simply because I want them to feel the thing happening. There is nothing smart, or jokey, or typically "magician-like" in my delivery. It is never presented as a "trick".
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
The point, I think, is whether or not signing a coin implies the POSSIBILITY of a switch... I think maybe it does. And so I wouldn't use a signed coin.

I don't like the "catch-me-if-you-can" approach.

/grrrr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending Coin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL