The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Topic deletion- a dissenting view » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
I just wanted to add my relatively insignificant voice to those that think you guys go overboard with the censorship and the deletions. Yes, I know it's a *privilege* to be here, you're running a free service that helps magicians, you have to limit obscenity for the young amongst us and you want to prevent flameouts.

That said, I think you guys are over the top with the moderation. I contribute to many different forums/blogs of different sorts etc and I've moderated more than a few myself. I feel that the *balance* you have arrived at loses more than it gains. The best discussions occur where freedom reigns and that ain't here. I found that despite occasional trolls who must be policed, a few childish instances of obscenity and the few times when a thread/comment etc must be moderated, that the quality of discourse is higher as people post more being unafraid of their hard work work going up in smoke. Also more controversial issues are discussed and, believe it or not, that is most often a good thing. Intelligent people tend to be self policing and weed out the trolls quickly. You have to treat people like adults though and extend some trust to see that happen.

The Magic Café could a more vibrant place if you guys would lighten up a bit. I'm getting a bit fed up here and some of the deletions I've seen have been over relatively innoccuous stuff. C'mon guys, lighten'up a bit. it won't kill you. Don't be afraid of words, and stop deleting whole threads.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Hi Kamus. I would like to thank you for your post and giving us your opinion. I can assure you that your voice is far from "insignificant" to us. However I would like to ask you to please be a bit more specific in your request so that I may be able to help you better. Please give an example of what you feel is being to "over the top" with the moderation. You also expressed that you felt that there were too many deletions. Will you also please give examples of this? Is there a specific thread you are refering to? Or do you just feel that too many posts are disappearing?

Moderators do not delete threads without having a good reason. However, it helps us a lot more if you could report this when it happens and not a week after, as we have such a high amount of posts that we deal with on a daily basis it is hard to remember a specific one even a few days later.

I would be glad to discuss this with you further if you would wish. If you do feel that this is something you would care to do please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Steve wichever you prefer via private message or email.

Mya
Asst Manager
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Topic deletion- a dissenting view » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL