The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a $3,550 set of Cups and Balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
There expensive......but they look great.
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I just don't understand! Who would use wooden cups?!? I can appreciate the "artistic" value of something, but these to me are just plain ugly. So, spend $3500 on 3 cups made out of 200 year old wood, which will more than likely sit on a shelf somewhere and collect dust. For that much money, would put a down payment on a car. You know why people buy them? So they can say they spent close to $4000 on 3 pieces of wood. The "wow" factor. This is ridiculous. Wait till Magic Makers gets ahold of these!

The Magic Makers Pro-Line Wooden Cups! Hand crafted from special wood found in the....no....wait! Hand crafted by a highly trained..um...no. OH OH OH OH I GOT IT!!! Hand rubbed by 7...um no...Well they look like the expensive ones! And they're only $100.00!
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 01:09, blazes816 wrote:
There expensive......but they look great.

*cough*notheydon't*cough*
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 03:16, Jonathan Brown wrote:
The Magic Makers Pro-Line Wooden Cups! Hand crafted from special wood found in the....no....wait! Hand crafted by a highly trained..um...no. OH OH OH OH I GOT IT!!! Hand rubbed by 7...um no...Well they look like the expensive ones! And they're only $100.00!

Smile
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
This reminds me of the story of the fellow who was driving down a country road when he came upon a farmer who was selling watermellons off the back of his truck. The farmer had a sign drawn up that read 'watermellons - 1 million dollars each'.

The fellow laughed and said to the farmer "Are you nuts? How many watermellons do you think your going to sell at that price!?

The farmer replied "Well son, I only have to sell one".
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Maybe the watermelons were made out of old boats too.
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
Are these cups made from actual wood from the ship or the same types of wood that the ship was made of. I really couldn't tell from reading the description. I did notice that the lid of the box was made from the outer bark of the tree. If it was made from wood from the ship how would they get the bark from the tree.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think Paul needs to rewrite the copy on this piece. It's not stressed enough about the wood being from the ship, I totally missed it. I really don't care much for wooden cups, if I did, I'd get the porper cocobolo cups for a fraction of the price of these. Frankly, for $3500, I don't care if they were made from Noah's ark.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 15:59, Randy wrote:
Are these cups made from actual wood from the ship or the same types of wood that the ship was made of. I really couldn't tell from reading the description. I did notice that the lid of the box was made from the outer bark of the tree. If it was made from wood from the ship how would they get the bark from the tree.

Looks like they are made from actual wood from the ship:
http://www.colinrosemimc.co.uk/trafalgar.htm
Slightly odd to make a set of cups from a chunk of HMS Victory?

Colin Rose makes other cups as well, all in the high-end price bracket. More to see on Colin Rose's website:
http://www.colinrosemimc.co.uk/victorian.htm

The 'African Queen' cups are the best lookers, but I don't think I'll be jumping to get them.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I personally don't care for wood cups when it comes to the cups & balls. However, I do love wood chop cups. The best I have seen is the one made by Howard Hale of Woodmagic (is he still around making magic apparatus?). The one I bought is a beautiful combination of exotic woods: padauk, wenge, zebrawood, and red oak; it came with a chop stick style wand made of the same combination. I did buy the special limited edition burr elm mini chop cup from Colin Rose; that looks very nice.
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
I heard that Dirk Pitt will be buying them for his magic collection.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 18:53, taliesin wrote:

Slightly odd to make a set of cups from a chunk of HMS Victory?

The 'African Queen' cups are the best lookers, but I don't think I'll be jumping to get them.

Richard

I agree, they should have made a violin...

The "African Queen" cups do look very nice, however I'd never use them. I'm suprised I haven't seen those in Mr. Palmer's collection. Does he not have these or did I just miss them somehow?
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
For those looking to make copies and flood the market, there are about thirty tons of Victory Oak available for purchase:

High priced wood

For those making the best in British wands, they also have copper, bronze and silver from HMS Victory.

:magicrabbit:
David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Are the "African Queen" cups made from the boat the Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn used?

;^)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Am I missing a connection between the ship and magic? Maybe if it was the HMS Abracadabra or something.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-12 23:19, Chessmann wrote:
Look no further than Hocus-Pocus.

The Nelson Cups can be yours for $3,550.

They are the most expensive set of cups (purchased new, via retail) I have seen.

Mark

My set of two cardboard cups, with a half hour of personal instruction is available for $5,000.00 but this is a limited time offer. And only one set available at this time.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Let us understand that this is meant as the intersection of three strong traditions and it is in that the values lies.

Will these be the best cups for performing the cups and balls? No, not likely. many now classic moves must be eliminated if the cups are to survive long.

Are the best testimony to the history of Nelson? No, cups and balls are a direct side step from those historical events. Items like using the wood in scale models of nautical items might well be deemed more appropriate.

Will these cups be the final and definitive example of the art of wood carving or transform it as an artform? Unlikely.

However, they are completely unique in the intersection they represent between these three things. A classic piece of the history of magic, a classic piece of naval and British history and an exquisite example of the art of woodcarving. It is such things things that can create value in the eyes of collectors. And honestly if I had the disgressionary income that would render such purchase possible I might well enjoy a set of these on my mantle.

My great, great grandfather traded by ship all around the world. Our family had numerous mystical items of brass and hand-carved wood that remained from his trading in southeast asia before and around the time of our civil war. Some sense of the mysticsm of those items is what led me into magic. Owning a set of cups like these would be a wonderful way of honoring that intersection with my own. Afterall, the rest is only money. sadly, It is unlikely in this day and age that a simple parish pastor will ever be so blessed as to have such disgressionary income to justify $3000+ for such a set of cups because there are so many other places and needs to be met.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
My set of two cardboard cups, with a half hour of personal instruction is available for $5,000.00 but this is a limited time offer. And only one set available at this time.

I would have ordered them if they came with a free DVD Smile

Richard

Quote:
On 2005-07-14 21:07, Jordini wrote:
I'm suprised I haven't seen those in Mr. Palmer's collection. Does he not have these or did I just miss them somehow?

Bill has the 'Black Pearl' cups on his 'Regular cups' page.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

I don't want my work on the Ramsay routine available for copying, so no DVD.

But depending on my desire for ice cream, I might be persuaded to offer a second set of cups sometime soon.
magicmafia22
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmafia22
And why would anyone even want to use these after they paid 3,500 bucks for them
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-16 00:21, magicmafia22 wrote:
And why would anyone even want to use these after they paid 3,500 bucks for them

First I'm not gonna criticize the product. Some people work in very POSH places and those are classy looking props. This amounts to the same reason some folks use real silver coins and other distinct props. About thirty years ago, only a few magicians in NYC were carrying sets of real silver coins. It was something special. These cups and similar props are coming from the same place... it makes sense for those who can afford it and who feel the history adds something to the routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a $3,550 set of Cups and Balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL