The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul McKenna Making A blind Man "see"... Sky I (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Has anybody been watching the new Paul McKena series "I can change your life!" on Sky 1. This week there was a guy who was diagnosed with "hysterical Blindness" McKenna "cured" him if that's the word, then the twist at the end of the programe was that the poor guy was wrongly diagnosed and did not have Hysterical Blindness but a brain injury. So my fellow coffee drinkers.... how could he cure something that was incurable ? Even he was stummexed. Very Interesting prog.
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Seletive editing?
Pre show work?
My bets are an instant stooge!
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Sorry your totally off track on this one
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Well it cannot be hypnosis , can it ?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Another "Wrong" diagnosis?????? What can you trust. I know that the editing had to happen before the end of the show so everything WRONG could have been removed or not shown. Right? So, once again, we see what they want us to see.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the program, but I know a little about editing.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Sorry,

I was suggesting that the 15 or so people we will see Paul McKenna cure may have been selected from a much larger sample frame. There may even have been cases which did not make it to air.

I work as a hypnotherapist myself (www.simon-grant.com) and completely believe that hypnosis and NLP can be very powerful if used correctly. I have had a large number of amazing sucsess's over the years but also a large number of "so-so" cases.

Just seems a bit to clean to me,

Simon
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
It is well documented that people who have had extreme brain injuries losing half a brain or more adapt with the remaining half taking on the functions of the missing half even although it is meant to be physically impossible.

Perhaps the intervention started a similar process.

And of course hypnosis doesn't exist it was peer pressure that did it.

Shrink
skullmaster
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of skullmaster
I to found it very intersting, but must point out that he wasn't actually "cured". He was getting some vision back, I think just blured shapes etc, but he was far from being totally cured. May be if the diagnosis had been correct eight years ago, he could have gained partial sight with some conventional therapy? Not to take anything away from Paul McKenna. IMO
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Well of all the things he could be doing with his knowledge ,
this seems worth while . Although I fear a rush of miracle seekers in the coming months.
Shonconry
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Shonconry
Obviously strong evidence that there is at least such a thing as hypnosis
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 15:17, skullmaster wrote:
I to found it very intersting, but must point out that he wasn't actually "cured". He was getting some vision back, I think just blured shapes etc, but he was far from being totally cured. May be if the diagnosis had been correct eight years ago, he could have gained partial sight with some conventional therapy? Not to take anything away from Paul McKenna. IMO

That is the point of the show I think. These are people who have been told there is no hope for them by esteemed doctors. Suggestion is so powerful that it can also create a condition and sustain it as well as improve it.

Hypnosis is a process that is happening around us all the time. The people on this programme are examples of everyday hypnosis. (accepting suggestions from authority figures)

Cures are never or should never be claimed when working with hypnosis. It is more accurate to say you helped someone move on or make a positive shift. This is clearly what Paul did with this blind man.

Shrink
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I agree with all of the above.
Many people come to the hypnotherapist because they've been given no hope by other doctors/therapists. We often hear 'You're my last hope'. But as McKenna pointed out: "We're in the hope business".
In many many cases we get what can only be described as 'fantastic results', and yes, I agree again, we just don't know yet all of the wonderful things the brain can do. But we do know that 'psycho' often instructs 'sumo' to heal itself, and 'sumo' sometimes simply obeys.

Bobser. (painfree and drinking even more each day)
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 06:52, Ian Broadmore wrote:

So my fellow coffee drinkers.... how could he cure something that was incurable ?

I bet that guy who was the so-called "un-curable" man is now driving around his new Lexus SUV courtesy of the money that they gave him.
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
I saw the show and was utterly impressed. I would not suggest at all that the man is "driving around in his lexus" after watching the show. Paul summed up the show by saying something along the lines of "We can do powerful things when we have no idea of our boundaries, and that something is impossible." This has been done before in a similar way when a hypnotherapist cured a man of a skin disease which he simply thought was warts. Only later did he discover that the warts were indeed a skin disease which is incurable through hypnosis. I am a hypnotherapist and a TV Production student, so I am not new to clever editing techniques, however, I am quite disgusted that people cannot simply just accept that Paul has done an amazing thing, you will only realise this if you saw the show.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I did a hypnosis seminar with Paul McKenna in London several years ago. In one of the exercises he had us do with a partner, Paul was walking amongst us and observing. He came up to me, and I was having a small bit of difficulty, since my subject couldn't seem to visualize well, and I politely asked Paul for some advice. Believe me, this was the simplest, most basic question any hypnosis student could ask.

The Great McKenna didn't even TRY to help, just said, "Oh, um, I'm sorry, you'll have to ask that gentleman over there..." and he pointed to one of the half-dozen assistants helping at the event. I craned my neck toward where he pointed, and said, "But--"

But when I turned back around, all I saw was the Great McKenna's back as he disappeared into the crowd. Aaah, what a helpful teacher, and what a fount of wisdom... I shall always remember the moment of my brush with greatness.

Seth

p.s. Do you seriously believe people should just "accept" things as truth that they see on a TV clip..? Just curious.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Okay, I didn't see the program so I cannot comment on that HOWEVER I can comment on the fact that it is entirely possible (although, as I said I don't know what happened in this case) because I study ericksonian hypnotherapy and once treated a woman who lost her sense of smell for 20 years in one 20 min session. To be honest, the feeling you get after seeing someone's face ligt up after a situation like that is better than any applause I have ever had for performing.

I would have loved to have seen that program though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul McKenna Making A blind Man "see"... Sky I (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL