The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Elephants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
This topic came up on a thread called "Entering a stage with presence". Just curious as to whether any of you have ever worked with elephants?

On the other thread it was mentioned that on several occasions, performing elephants have been known to become dangerous. I have heard about such instances. Just curious as to whether anyone has more information on what may have provoked the behaviour in these cases?

I definitely believe they had their reasons. Anyone have any experience with elephants?

Any good elephant stories?

Thanks.
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
In the past I haven't seen elephants being used in shows for the extinction rate of the Ivory (highly illegal). Elephants never forget, and can be provoked by the simplest thing. I remember a video on TV where this elephant charged a zoo employee, the employee tried to close the gate but the elephant bombarded through it, throwing the guy and eventually he slid across the ground.

Another story is when an elephant got out of hand in the circus with like 10 kids on his back. I guess the trainer hit him too hard with the whip. Not knowing your style of magic, I highly recommend staying away from these incredible beasts. They are very tame animals, but I don't think they would like being put in a home behind smoke and mirrors.

Just my 2 cents,

Evan
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Any creature no matter how tame it is will react in a violent manner when provoked. An elephant would be a very dangerous animal to deal with especially when they get ticked off considering its size and strength. I even saw a juvenile elephant which is half the size of an adult elephant throw a full grown man 4 feet away since it didn't like the man touching him on the head.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm not really looking into putting any elephants into my show. Though I would be honoured to have an opportunity to work with and be in the presence of one of these majestic animals.

I used to work in the veterinary field and have a great love and respect for animals. I was just curious as to other people's experience with them and their opinions on this matter. Thanks for your replies.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would suggest that you look at some of the circus fan sights. Elephants like any other animal that PETA has targeted gets a bad rap. For the most part, from what I have learned, they are intelligent and relatively easy to work with.

I would do some search on the circuses and such. I do have one site at had for the circus fans of America (of which I am a member). It is is http://www.circusfans.org. I know Circus Report has a lot of articles on groups trying to work with keeping elephants able to perform in circuses and Ringing Bros. has an elephant conservation facility.

If you ever get the chance to see a touring circus with and outdoor tent and elephants, go early and watch the elephants work and put up the big top. It is a quite an experience.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks, Richard. I'll check it out.

I don't pay much attention to PETA. I believe many of these working elephants enjoy their work, when they are handled in a respectful manner. I believe in the instances in which elephants have reacted unfavourably, they were acting appropriately for them. They were provoked, but expected to suddenly behave as though they were significantly smaller, because that would be convenient for the people. Animals behave consistently. People must do the same, and do it respectfully. They must realize when they are crossing the line. Work in harmony. That's where I stand.
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
I have had the pleasure of working with elephants. I was extremely fortunate to work with Carol Buckley founder of the Elephant sanctuary .I would say she is one of the best. As far as PETA goes I think Penn and Teller exposed them on an episode of bull**** , if you have not seen the show find it , you can learn a lot , also check out the elephant sanctuary website , also a little closer to you magicallaurie would be the bowmanville zoo , Micheal Hackenburger is extremely good with elephants
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
I have 4 doves a rabbit and a Terrier, and I have used all of them in my act at one time or other. I just think that any animal you work with regardless of the size can act out (and will ha-ha). Everyone has a bad day including animals.

The problem is not that an elephant is more bad tempered, I would think, but rather that when you've been whacked by an annoyed elephant it might make more of a lasting impression than a miffed dove Smile. Also, I wonder if a lot of the bad rep elephants have is that an animal that large, even with the most considerate keeper, it would be hard to give it the type of room it needs to be stress free. I know with my doves they need more room than I would have ever thought, and think how small they are. Personally speaking my doves love to be out.

Animals are so complex. My university did a project with the chimps at a zoo to try to teach them sign language.( I'm a psychology major) It's a great zoo and the chimps were in a very natural habitat considering it was a zoo, and had not been socialized to ppl. The project was a big flop. The chimps really did not want to cooperate with us. However, there was one female chimp that had been raised by ppl and then placed in the zoo, and she did very very well in the project. I was talking to one of the caretakers at the zoo and she told me this particular female chimp who I was bragging about as working so well, was antisocial with the other chimps would not interact with them and would not mate or reproduce and totally kept separate from them. This female chimp was constantly trying to get the attention of ppl. She did not relate to the other chimps, and for all I know did not think she was one.

This was a big problem because the type of habitat they had there the chimps really didn't interact with their caretakers. They worked very hard to keep it as natural as possible. The thing that struck me is one how much we have to be careful not to play God. When we take these animals in we change them. We can't unchange them. That chimp lived 20 yrs alone unable to interact with its own kind unable to have young. That seems so sad to me. For me, what it made me realize, is that any animal I take in and train to be in my show, I am responsible for that animal for as long as it lives. I don't mean to sound maudlin, but I'm never going to forget that chimp...Lost in an alien world of her own kind.

Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I appreciate the replies.

Elephant stories. Anyone? I'd love to hear them.

Posted: Aug 12, 2005 8:19am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone has gotta have an elephant story. Please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I almost got ran over by a heard of elephants at the circus!
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You will only find a couple magicians that have even worked with them.
Never seen them at this site.
Franz Harary and Lance Burton come to mind. Copperfield too I think.
Daniel Faith
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Well I have worked with elephants actually made one vanish over 300 times while surrounded by audience members. The only stories I could tell , would be good ones. I recall days of swimming in the creek with her, the reaction of people driving by was hilarious. I do believe some may have even questioned there drink of choice Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I have heard some of those stories, Johnnie.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I have an elephant that I use in my kidshows...I have to haul it in a huge trailer but you should see the reaction I get when I product it from a dove pan!!!!

I used to pull it out of a thumb tip after making a well in a silk!

His name is Stumpy and he lives in my garage...

only joking of course...I should not have posted this but I found it humorous and I could not resist!

sorry!
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Good try, Kyle. Smile
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Then there's the story of the one eared elephant.
Daniel Faith
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I was very sorry to hear about the death of Gildah, Siegfried and Roy's beloved Ceremonial Thai Elephant, this week. She died of natural causes at The Mirage's Secret Garden. She was with Siegfried and Roy for more than 25 years and celebrated her 57th birthday May 4th. She will be missed by many. I'm sure Siegfried and Roy and others have many wonderful stories about her. She was MAGNIFICIENT.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Don't remember how they died... remember how they lived.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm sure many will remember Gildah very fondly. Smile
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, you want elephant stories?

I read about this in a magic book many years ago; I can probably find it again if I really dig for it. According to the book, it really happened.

Anyway, seems this magician back in the 20's or so had this elephant in his touring show. One time they performed at a theatre that had a large basement, and that's where the animals were kept. So everything was fine...

Except that the basement was also used by the grocer next door as storage for stuff that wouldn't fit in his shop. Well, it seems that the elephant discovered a shipment of onions and decided he liked them.

Unfortunately, the next day or so the elephant decided it had to go... and it went right on stage.

Took three days to fumigate the place.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Elephants (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL