The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Free Flight Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rfdes
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rfdes
I've been reading up and studying the Paul Harris effect - 'Free Flight', although I haven't performed it yet. I wanted to know from other individuals that perform this what their opinions are. Obviously, if you are using the effect, you must like it. My main concern is the climax where the spectator 'covers' the coins with his/her hand. How many times has the spectactor prematurely lifted their hand? Does anyone have any tips regarding preventing this from happening? Your input is appreciated.. Thanks...

-Jim
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Aiea, Hawaii
244 Posts

Profile of BWind
Jim,
I enjoyed this effect until someone prematurely lifted their hand, I now use Dave Williamson's Sympathetic Coins Routine from the Magic Farm DVD;
BWind
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I know Bob Kohler and Seth Kramer perform this routine, maybe they can offer some insight. Kohler performed it on his International Magic Lecture video.

I forget, on Harris' version does he put the card on top of the spectator's hand? That is how Kohler did it in the explanation of the routine. He said he was going to make the last coin go under the card on top of her hand. When he says this, there is no reason to lift the hand, because they are not expecting it to really travel under their hand (even though that is where it will wind up).

If you are uncomfortable with the under the hand ending, just dispense with it and just make the last coin go under the card like the other three coins.
Click to visit:
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Paul Harris' Free Flight is very good. Personally I don't use it. I use instead Michael Rubinstein's Shuttle Flight (Knockout Coin Magic DVD). It is so visual and easy to perform. I highly recommend looking at it.

Brian
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The final coin under the spectator's hand is the main strength of "Free Flight" and you ignore it at your peril. I used to perform several assemblies, four card, two card, forward, backward, they were all effective, but the one shocker that beat them all was the coin appearing under the spectator's hand. Duh.

Seriously, omit it, and you've got just another assembly. Include it, and you're creating memories.

Obviously, it will take some thought to learn how to control your audience. that's okay, things as good as this take time. It's worth it. Here are the basics:

1. Learn how to pick the right person in the first place.
2. Be as casual as possible. At the moment of the load, you should already be directing the audience's attention to whatever the next step is.
3. Keep talking through the load. Pauses are death.
4. The audience can smell fear.

Dan, the original Harris patterline actually had you placing the card on top of your hand, the one that supposedly held the coin. This helped bring the spectators' focus to the proper place (away from the hand on the table) and sort of explained why the spectator's hand was needed in the first place. (i.e. to cover the coins, since you took the card away) This is an example of #2 above.

The vanish then looked like this: You snapped your fingers, then opened the fingers of the hand that supposedly held the coin. This caused the card to drop onto your open palm. The vanish was then fully displayed when your first and second fingers lifted the card off your palm with a flourish.

In later years, Paul changed the timing of the moves, and simplified the handling. He might have placed the card on the spectator's hand, but that whole premise seems a little too linear for him.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Free Flight Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL