The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wireless remote controls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Looking for a good resource bith for parts and learning materials on creating remote controlled motors and such. Found a couple posts on using doorbell units but alas I'm an electrical engineering newbie.

Any site or book suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
http://www.howstuffworks.com might be useful.
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Are you a mentalist? I have that site open in another window. Very helpful site.

I think I'll pick up a few supplies that I can hopefully modify for what I want.

Just found this link:

http://www.hobbytron.com/sensorsub.html

Just need to learn how to alter it for what I need.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Yes I am a mentalist. But how stuff works is the best site ever. that's where I found the information to make my wireless power transmission device........no more messy cords.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
I'd like to wade in here, in hopes I can collaborate and end up with something better than I have...

I was considering a Yigal Spider Pen as a better option than the stealth retractor or the hummingbird reel for electronic IT manipulation. Well, I went to Radio shack and asked for advice on a tiny electric motor. They had remote control car motors that could easily fit inside a pen. But I knew the hard part would be doing the soldering of the contacts to the power supply, then building the little spool... so it occurred to me that the spider pen may not be such a bad idea, expensive though it is.

Then I started looking at the RC car itself. tiny, with motor, power, already hooked up and... remote controlled!

I started thinking about IT applications with this item. It is fairly easy to connect a spool or ITR to it, although with my level of experience, it is too risky to use in a stage performance just yet.

The one application that I know I can use with VISIBLE thread: I want to force a card and have a duplicate come down from the ceiling, with a fake spider holding it. Perfect for a halloween show, and I can do it at my door step.

Now, others might adopt this idea: fine. But please do me a favor and add your two cents on ways to apply this idea to IT work, and ways to hook up the RC car to a spool of IT...
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
See if you can find a group of robot enthusiasts in your area (or online) to talk to. They are a veritable wealth of knowledge when it comes to transmitters, recievers, speed controllers, servos, motor selection, failsafes, etc. If I am not mistaken, http://www.delphiforums.com/ hosts the "Official Battlebots Forums." Although the TV show is no longer on, there should still be plenty of people there with plenty of knowledge to share with someone who is just getting into remotely contolling motors.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
THEGREATSMILLINNI
View Profile
New user
ROBERT W SMILLIE
28 Posts

Profile of THEGREATSMILLINNI
Hi Guys & Gals,

I want to make a wireless remote control that sets off a cell phone vabrator that the magician is wearing. Any ideas or can someone make one for about $50?
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Thanks, Nick. I wonder if most robotics types have ever thought about magic manufacture as a sideline?
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
442 Posts

Profile of scolman
I deal with a crowd called E-clec-tech. The owner MJL is a great help and we've done a few successful transactions recently.www.e-clec-tech.com
I have also turned my attention to remote control magic of late. If you want to check out some really cool stuff, go to Chuck Caputo's website. http://www.freewebs.com/caputocollection/products.html
He sells a few books on RC magic but I don't own any yet.

The biggest problem I'm having at the moment is that most RC transmitters (the handset that controls the motor) are too big to be concealed in a magicians pocket etc. I have noticed that a number of RC cars have small transmitters but the motors are noisy. I am currently experimenting with servos to see if they're quieter.

I'd like to keep this thread going if possible as its hard to come by good advice. Who knows maybe the Café will have an RC section someday.

My projects on the go at the moment are a PK effect and a talking skull.

Simon
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Quote:
On 2005-07-16 11:10, Brian Turntime wrote:
Thanks, Nick. I wonder if most robotics types have ever thought about magic manufacture as a sideline?

Well, I am [sort of] the opposite of that. I am a magicain who used to dabble (lightly) in robotics. If you want to get even more info on the subject, there are myriad books out there. While these books were designed to be used for robotics applications, all of the lessons in them don't require a huge leap of imagination to see how the same ideas can be applied elsewhere. One book, with lots of different projects is "Robots, Androids, and Animatrons" by John Jovine. There is also a lot of other informations in it that a few more creative folks out there might be able to creatively turn, such as some light programming and working with sensors. While it is hardly the only, or even best book, it does provide a good footing on which to start your learning. But, like I said, you may just want to check your community/the internet to see how much information people will help you out, if you are willing to learn.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Quote:
On 2005-07-16 08:14, THEGREATSMILLINNI wrote:
HI GUYS & GALS
I WANT TO MAKE A WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROLL THAT SETS OFF A CELL PHONE VIBRATOR
THAT THE MAGICIAN IS WEARING ?? ANY IDEAS OR CAN SOMEONE MAKE ONE FOR ABOUT
$50.00 ???

Why not just use your cell phone and have a backstage assistant call you at the propper moment?
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Wow. This post is really helpful. I'll check out some of these leads right now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wireless remote controls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL