The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why usernames? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Shonconry
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Shonconry
I was asked by my son why people in a place such as this use 'usernames' rather than their own, and to be honest I found it really quite difficult to answer. I'm Sean Adams by the way, and I live in the South of England, working as a close-up magician around Winchester and beginning to work more in mentalism. There now, that was relativly painless and up to now there haven't been any serious repurcussions!

What do you guys think? Is there a real reason for silly names? Or should we, especially in a place such as this, use our real names.
All the best.

Sean.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Maybe paranoia?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I use blazes816 beacuse my middle name is blaise (blaze) after Blaise Pascal. and I was born on 8/16.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Interesting question.
I use a name as I don't generally want to mix my work as a trustworthy and honest psychotherapist with my deviant and thrill seeking magic and mentalism persona.
I also find it easier to say it like it is as Roki than be PC and personally positioned behind my remarks as a real person.
This is a fun activity for me and I don't really want to consider the ramifications of each post .
Plus I am not currently selling anything!!!
"Roki" Smile
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
It's a choice. Some here use their full names, some nicknames. Using a nickname makes it more informal, and allows for anonymity if one wants it. Also, with over 20,000 registered users, I'm sure there would be some duplicate given names.
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Umm, the internet is a dangerous place, anonymity protects you from things like identity theft, being quoted out of context, stalkers, lets you be a jerk, lets you tell lies, lets you tell the truth.

Lots of reasons to use screen names on the internet.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Hey Sean,

I'm Sean (I like the Conry...I get it)
Sean Waters (get the h2os....waters)

:)

Off with the masks!!!!
Sean
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 21:18, ivan7 wrote:
Umm, the internet is a dangerous place, anonymity protects you from things like identity theft, being quoted out of context, stalkers, "Lets you be a Jerk", lets you tell lies, lets you tell the truth.

I think you "nailed" it with that list ! Good call.
This is what I've been using since day one on here, 3 years ago. Same face, same name.

John
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Shonconry wrote:-

Quote:
I was asked by my son why people in a place such as this use 'usernames' rather than their own, and to be honest I found it really quite difficult to answer. I'm Sean Adams by the way, and I live in the South of England, working as a close-up magician around Winchester and beginning to work more in mentalism. There now, that was relativly painless and up to now there haven't been any serious repurcussions!

What do you guys think? Is there a real reason for silly names? Or should we, especially in a place such as this, use our real names.
All the best.

..Seems you just did - Mr. Sean Adams...or did you?? Smile

Must say..I've always admired Mr. Connery..Bond..that is..James Bond.

Hey Roki..love your honesty...well of 'sorts'...Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Anabelle is my real first name. I just couldn't come up with something creative and good enough as an option.

Anabelle
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
I just call myself, Piers, because my name is, erh .... Piers.
Regards,
Piers.
PS. "The Thrust Meister", just wouldn't fit my mild mannered image !
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Yes, sj davison - Simon John Davison. Wish I had slightly more creativity!

I must say, I do prefer it when I know who I'm talking to, rather than someone masked behind some stupid name!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
...which is why I always sign my posts. For some reason, "Chet" and variations thereof seem to be taken by many boards. Therefore, I tend to use my youngest daughter's nickname for me.

And it is true that identity theft is rampant. Past work in security convinces me that it's unwise to have your full name easily googled.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
Whenever I register on the net, first I try it with my own name. It's not always easy as my first name is very common in my country. I'm glad I can use my name here. Smile

Gabor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Rick Dangerous... maybe you remember the AMIGA 500. And Rick Dangerous was one of my favourite games Smile
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 21:18, ivan7 wrote:
Umm, the internet is a dangerous place, anonymity protects you from things like identity theft, being quoted out of context, stalkers, lets you be a jerk, lets you tell lies, lets you tell the truth.

Yea.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I use Gothic Ben, because that is my performing persona. When I perform, I am billed as Ben, the Gothic Magician.

This came about during the early years of my performing life. As a goth / punk, I'd always eschewed the more traditional suit / top hat and tails, and performed in my everyday clothes. A young punk chick said "You're a real gothic magician!".

Lights went on...

Ben
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
Spook is my given name. Not using a last name is much scarier. Like "Cher".
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I use magic in mind because when I'm on here, I have magic in mind.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
User names are easier to remember and spell usually - at least if you pick them correctly - and if you didn't use a user name and someone else had the same name as you, what else could you do? Append a number, which gets REALLY confusing:

"No, I'm JohnSmith450, not JohnSmith451!"

Much easier to call him BigBubba, easier to remember, spell, and shows some personality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why usernames? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL