The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why usernames? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
WWW lives forever. Do you really want your kids, kids, kids, kids seeing some of cr4p you write!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Maybe you shouldn't write cr4p that you wouldn't want your kids to see... Smile
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 01:03, Anabelle wrote:
Anabelle is my real first name. I just couldn't come up with something creative and good enough as an option.

Anabelle

My name is Jeff Stone. I use jstone... simple and uncreative. Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My real name is vincent I was called called vinny by my friends, and family growing up in the streets of new york..... this name has stuck with me all my life.......................
This was not my nick name that's another story

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I use "hoodrat" for a couple reasons:

1) My last name is really Hood,
2) "Hoodrat" was one of my nicknames in the U.S. Navy,
3) I have three hairless rats for pets (yes, you read correctly -- hairless rats!).

When I do send PM's, though, I sign them with my real first name. Or at least I try to remember to do so!
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Hey, my user name is my real name. I don't fear stalking and the truth...
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I prefer not to be sought out, spammed or mutilated.

Jaz is short and memorable and comes from my role playing days.

Full name was Jazbar Narodeth.
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
I used to use "Geoff Allen," or "GeoffAllen" if no spaces were allowed, as my screen name in places. But as the internet got bigger, I ran into situations more frequently where my real name was taken. I suppose I might have run into that more quickly if my name had been "Sam Johnson" or something, but even with a not-so-common name, there are enough people with the same name that I ran into issues.

So I decided to come up with a name that wouldn't cause such troubles. Something that should be unique, no matter where I go. Since playing saxophone is one of the things people who know me know most about me, I came up with "saxmangeoff."

I try on the Café to always sign my posts with "Geoff," to be friendly and less anonymous. It's funny how some people pick up on it, and some don't, when responding to something I've said. I've been called "Sax" and "Saxman" more than once on here. Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Hmm...My name is Alan Nielsen. I've been using Alniner for years now. It was a nickname given to me when I was touring with bands back in the old days.

Usernames are the same as Nicknames I guess. I call my daughter Moo.
Skål

--
Alan
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Stagename.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I originally had a user name, but I became a staff member and Steve likes to have the staff use their real names. I am no longer staff, but I have stayed with my real name and it seems right to me. We are surrounded by so much lying in our culture today that it is refreshing just to tell the truth.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
SirPoBoy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of SirPoBoy
Some people do not wait to give out their real names and others just use it because it might be easier to pronounce then their real names.

SirPoBoy
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
As anyone can see, I use my "real" name. I also post regularly to many unmoderated Internet news groups using my own name.

I suppose it is obvious that I share Whit Haydn's view that people ought not to post anything that they would not want associated with their name.

It would be nice to think, as someone suggested, that our words will somehow become immortal--being archived, I suppose, on some giant computer server--and that a great, great, great granchild will someday wander across our musings.

If so, it is quite humbling to think that our words, no matter how carefully crafted and sincerely intentioned, will, if they endure at all, be viewed from a future perspective that will render them--and by implication, us--as anachronistic or dumb. Conventions, entirely appropriate to one era, are very likely to be viewed differently by another. What reason is there to suspect that our own clever thinking and wonderful customs will not meet this same fate?

So, dear reader of the future, judge us kindly. If what we have written is, from the perspective of the future, unimpressive--or, more likely, just plain silly--give us credit for at least being well meaning. And give some of us extra credit for having the civility to sign our names to what we compose.

Edward Hutchison
Great, great, great grandpaw to be.
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
One other point in favor of using your "real" name when posting: believe it or not, some distant cousin, former classmate, ex-neighbor, former colleague at work, or other people who once-upon-a-time loomed larger in your life, may still be out there. If so, they are more likely to hear a bell ring when they see "Ed Hutchison" than when they see something like "xyrtjus53."

I personally would like to hear from such as these, and, in fact, I have several times had the good fortune to have my post spark a reply from someone from my dim past. If you have no desire to renew such acquaintances, then keep on being xyrtjus53 or whatever.

Ed Hutchison
former boy magician
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

DustyDave
View Profile
New user
Santa Fe, New Mexico
44 Posts

Profile of DustyDave
Real name? David Smith. About a jillion of us out there.
User name? Dusty Dave. That's the name I use for my Singing Cowboy act; as in "Dusty Dave, the Song Wrangler"

Dusty Dave, "The Card Wrangler"------ What do you think?
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Not much chance of a duplicate name of Jerrine. There are a few of them around, but they are all females, and we all know that there are no female magicians, HA! I heard the name Bonbonhia on Kung Fu as a youngster and just thought it sounded cool. When this whole internet thing kicked off I was of the opinion that I would use my name in chats and forums as I am not ashamed of anything I have written, but friends told me that was not the way so I have always used Bonbonhia. Besides when I started here I had not yet decided on a name to do Magic by, which is by the way, Felix Smidgewiggle. Sometimes Dr. Smidgewiggle others Prof. Smidgewiggle but Smidgewiggle none the less. Did a Google search for Smidgewiggle and nothing came up, imagine that!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-07-14 19:28, Shonconry wrote:
I was asked by my son why people in a place such as this use 'usernames' rather than their own, and to be honest I found it really quite difficult to answer.

Why is that? I noticed that you recently joined and are using a “username.” The reason why I don’t use my given name is for some of the reasons stated by ivan7, mainly identity theft.
Quote:
up to now

The key words in this sentence.
Quote:
What do you guys think?

It doesn’t amount to a hill of beans, as some posters here would like it too.
Quote:
Is there a real reason for silly names?

Tisk-Tisk. Silly to you maybe, not so silly to me.
Quote:
Or should we, especially in a place such as this, use our real names.

That should be left up to the individual.
Quote:
On 2005-07-20 20:18, Ed Hutchison wrote:
people ought not to post anything that they would not want associated with their name.

I disagree entirely. I could care less whether somebody goes by his or her real name or not, for me, it is the person not the name. I frequent other forums besides the Magic Café one of which is a forum for vintage mustangs, as is the case on that site as well MOST go by a “username.”

It is BECAUSE of these fine people not IN SPITE of them that I have been able to save time, money and energy on my car and visa versa. I appreciate the time that they take out of their lives to help me along the way. Obviously the same holds true here on the Café.
Quote:
One other point in favor of using your "real" name when posting: believe it or not, some distant cousin, former classmate, ex-neighbor, former colleague at work, or other people

Thief, con artist, sociopath, ex-con, bill collector…
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
I don't have a problem using a real name or a username. However, one of the advantages to a username is that if it's unique enough, you'll be able to have the same name on all of your websites.

For example, on this forum alone, there is a "jim stone", "john stone", and me: "jeff stone." I chose jstone as my username. I may or may not have beaten john or jim to the punch. But now, they have no choice; if they wanted "jstone" they can't have it. Whereas if they each had a unique username that they used (or I) used on all sites, then they would have likely been able to use it here. For example if you user name is Froot_Basket_Ball (I know it's ridiculous), the chances are that on every site requiring a username, you'll be able to use this one.

That just cuts down on the stuff that you have to remember.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
In defence of the screen name:

1) I don't think the idea of "hiding in the shadows" holds much water. Using a real-sounding name doesn't mean that a poster is giving his or her true identity. I still don't know that the name (or avatar image) really belongs to the guy I'm talking to.

2) It's just an internet convention; no sinister motives are implied in the use of a screen name. The people who know me personally also know the name I post under, and to anyone else one name is as good as another. I've always been perfectly willing to give my real name when asked, and anyone who cared could easily look it up.

3) My "real name" is an accident of my birth. In fact, I wasn't even born when it was given to me. My screen name is one I chose for myself, and as such is far more personal and meaningful to me. In effect, I'd argue that you're more able to "judge the source" from my screen name than my real one, simply because of this.

4) The idea that "most" people will ignore the opinions of alias-using posters (as I read recently on the forum), if true, speaks very poorly of those people. If someone is prepared to discount me because I don't use a real-sounding name (which, as mentioned earlier, may or may not be my "real name"), then they are clearly not prepared to discuss the subject sensibly. Also, if you check the proportion of people on this board who use screen names, the "most people" argument simply falls apart.

5) I'm not famous, and you've never heard of me. If you had, it would be from a field entirely unrelated to magic. The name given to me by my parents tells you nothing about the validity of my opinions on magic or anything else. If I were famous, then a screen name would allow (or even force) people to judge my posts on their own merit, rather than have that judgment coloured by their opinions of me. I'd always much prefer that someone's opinion of me be altered by what I have to say, rather than have their opinion on what I have to say prejudiced by their opinion of me personally.

This is my opinion on the matter. Judge it for whatever it's worth.

Cheers,

Cy.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
I spent a p;easant weekend at the SEAM convention in Huntsville.

When I got in a few hours ago, I looked for a convention review and in the process found another reason to use real names when posting. It turns out that there were at least three other Magic Café forum participants at this convention but, because two of them do not use their "real" name, I didn't know they were present and missed a chance to meet them personally.

Maybe we should wear buttons or in some way identify ourselves as Café members.
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why usernames? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL