The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DustyDave
View Profile
New user
Santa Fe, New Mexico
44 Posts

Profile of DustyDave
Howdy, folks
This has been bugging me for quite a while: How do you pronounce Dai Vernon's first name? Is it "Die", or "Day"?

Incidently, I understand that his real name was David Winfield Vernon. This intrigues me because my first and middle names are David Vernon, and Winfield is the name of several of my ancestors. I know it's all coincidence, but it's fun to entertain the idea of a genetic connection.

Thanks,
Dusty Dave
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Either way. I have heard a story where he pronounced either in too different ways, as you can, which is the same as his name. I understood from a previous discussion that he, himself, pronounced it as "die". There was a thread about this a year or so ago.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I've always heard it "Die"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's pronounced like DAY.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Hah hah, as you can see, there is hard to find concensus on anything in the magic community. Well, doesn't matter soon this thread will be filled with post by people who have actually spend time with the professor. Although, they might start arguing the same issue too. Maybe he used both pronounciasions just to wind people up Smile
H_Ho
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of H_Ho
I believed that his last name is Verner. Maybe I was wrong.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
He used to say "either or either".
tjo'
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I always pronounced it, "Professor." Smile His real last name was "Verner."

"Dai" is a Welsh affectionate diminutive for David. It is pronounced "Die." This form occurs among the Scots and English, too, and is pronounced "Day." The Professor didn't mind either pronunciation, and considered both correct. People that knew him from his east coast days tend to pronounce it one way, and California magicians the other.

It was odd, I was thinking the other night that I used to hear Vernon tell stories about Soapy Smith, and amazingly, he was a child when Soapy Smith was shot in 1898--107 years ago. He lived long enough to be an incredible connection to the period.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Just remember the classical James Bond Movie:

*Die another day* and use the first word as pronounciation.

Also his full real name was:

David Frederick Wingfield Verner

to take name it all Smile

Anybody having the *Dai Vernon Book of Magic* will have that information Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
According to Johnny Thompson, Dai is pronounced DAY. I'll take Johhny's word on it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hi everyone, I found this short bio about the Professor -

Close-up Conjuror: Dai Vernon
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 10:04, MagicChris wrote:
According to Johnny Thompson, Dai is pronounced DAY. I'll take Johhny's word on it.
Well then, as With Haydn pointed out... Smile
Just use the last word in *Die another Day*

(The UK/Scotland is nearer to my place Smile, so I prefer *Die*, and also adressed him that way when he passed through CPH privately together with Jay Ose in 1964, and guess what?, he didn't even object Smile )
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
DustyDave
View Profile
New user
Santa Fe, New Mexico
44 Posts

Profile of DustyDave
Thanks, everyone, for all the info.
Does anyone know if "The Vernon Chronicles" is still in print?

Dusty Dave
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Herb Zarrow says Day. He knew him well.
I would have said it was Die because I have never known anyone called Day but there are plenty of Welshmen called Die. There are so many in Wales that they are distinguished by their proffession e.g Die the Postman, Die the Magician etc. I think they spell it Dai.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Thread Cooler
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Thread Cooler
There is a whole section of the Revelations video series that discusses this. One explantion that The Professor gave was that he took "David" and removed the v and the d. In fact, he makes a joke like "Well I'm just David with out the VD." (I won't explain that one.) But, going along that line of reasoning, you'd pronounce it like David, without the v or d; /day/.

His "eeeether" or "eye-ther" explanation is on Revelations, too.

Most people I know pronounce it Dai. Smile

Get Revelations and watch it.

TC
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
170 Posts

Profile of J3
If Dai himself pronounced it both ways, then there really is no answer is there? If there is it must be "Die"(It just sounds cooler) Smile
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
I grew up in New York in the days when the professor joined us Saturday afternoons at the Caféteria where the magicians assembled after Tannens, Holdens, and Robsons closed. In those days, everyone (including Vernon) pronounced his name as "day."
Last year, I discussed this briefly with Mike Aamar after a lecture. He said that Vernon himself changed over to "die" after taking up permenent residence in California.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
If you guys get a chance, watch the video "The Spirit Of Magic". You will get your answer there.

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 16:23, Tony Noice wrote:
I grew up in New York in the days when...that Vernon himself changed over to "die" after taking up permenent residence in California.

I asked him in 87, at the NY Symposium in the presence of his buddy Sol Stone. "Dai as in David, I got rid of the 'v,d' long ago".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL