The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Motorcycle Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Hey all! I'm new to Magic Café...

I'm going to be performing at a Biker Bar within the next few months, and I'm looking to do something with a motorcycle to open so that they can get a feel for me.

What are some practical versions of an appearance on a bike, or appearance of a bike, or making a bike disappear... anything!

I am only seventeen, so I don't have a very large budget to build whatever illusion I decide to do. I do however have access to a bike, so I'm looking for an illusion (preferably almost-surroundable if not surroundable) involving a real motorbike.

Thanks for your help,
Jared
Jared Brandt
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I would think that the typical biker bar is not going to be real conducive for such a large scale illusion.

There's lighting issues to think about, staging, and oh, let us not forget about the possibility of drunken bikers just walking up to the performing area mid show and looking places that they shouldn't be looking - thus exposing your methods...

You may want to think about vanishing a realistic toy motorcycle (Make sure it's a Harley!) in something like a Bengal Net or some other apparatus used for livestock.

The only other thing that you might be able to do if you are dead set on producing a real bike in the conditions that you have described - is build a huge Double Tip Over Trunk. Again, not real practical for this type of performance venue, but at least it would be surroundable.

Lyndel
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
Thanks for the feedback... I am very new to performing illusions. In fact, I haven't even really started yet. I'm ordering a few books on illusions and I'm hoping to build a few of the easier-to-build and cost-effective illusions and using them in shows.

In short, I've never performed at a biker bar before, nor have I been to one... so I'll take your advice on this and think about something with a toy bike.

Thanks,
Jared
Jared Brandt
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5003 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Biker bars are unlike anything you may be used to. You said the show was only a few months away and with all due respect since I don't know your background, I'd seriously advise against trying to develope something in that short of a time period. Especially if you've never done illusions before.
Where the magic begins
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
I guess I was being rather hasty and assumed there was an easy way... perhaps I shall leave the illusions for later performances. Thank you both for your advice.

- Jared
Jared Brandt
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
We bikers go to biker bars to shoot the s**t, not to see magic shows. But if you got something we want to see, we'll be a very appreciative audience. I'd suggest you think BAR MAGIC, not biker magic. For example, the card appears inside a beer can and you have to break open the can with your teeth to get at it. Now that's something we would get off on.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I know Kostya Kimlet a great closeup and walkaround guy has worked the many Biker Conventions in Daytona Beach. You might try getting in touch with him for some advice. He lives in Orlando.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Kendrix,

Spellbinder is right. I have performed for some pretty rough audiences and I can tell you that while a good 3 card monte routine will bring applause, the sponge balls will get you laughed at.

You need to cater the magic to them without just trying to look like them. The last thing you want to do is mock a guy twice your size! You may want to try things like:

3 card Monte
Coin Bite
Card to Shoe
Torn and Restored Card (With some appropriate patter)
Arm Twisting Illusion

You'll notice that these all either have an element of destruction, or very fast pace to them. The card to shoe is just wild and when it comes out all bent and twisted, looks very rugged.

My suggestion: Leave the hippity hop rabbits at home and break out the powerful stuff. Anything with a long long build up should be avoided. People in a bar are concerned with 2 things. Looking cool and drinking beer. If they want entertainment, it better get good fast or they will tell you to go away.

I'm not saying they are all mean machines who will pound you to the ground. In fact, on many occations I have booked further shows from these places. It's always fun to see the meanest looking guy say, "OH my Grand-daughter would LOVE this!"

The biggest thing to remember is to be confident in yourself and your magic when you put yourself into a biker bar situation. I am by no means a large individual. I'm a very tall, skinny white guy. But when I perform in a bar, I weigh 210 pounds and I command attention. It's all about how you hold yourself.

One final suggestion:

Leave the tuxedo or suit at home. At the most, you can sometimes get away with a sport coat if you really need the pockets. I wear a black turtle-neck with the sleeves rolled up and put the jacket away. I still have an element of class, but I don't look like I should be performing at a wedding.

Best of luck to you!

Chris.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
If you want to perform something associated with bikers, then why not use the briefcase that is usually used to produce basketballs, but instead prodcue a bikers helmet.

You may even want to do this in reverse - enter with the helmet on, open the attache case,remove a deck of cards, take off the helmet and place it in the attache case, close the case and carry on with the show.

I have playing cards with a Harley davidson design on the back. Don't know where or if they are still available, as they were a present and a limited edition...
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
If you want to produce a motor cycle checkout Andrew Mayne's book "Illusion F/X. He has a very inexpensive bike production, I used it once and it got a great response. Also, since it is a biker bar, I agree with Chris, do tricks that cater to the audience. Make sure the bike you produce is a "chopper" not a crotch rocket...you might get thrown out for that.
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
I was actually planning on getting that book... that's excellent! I think I will read and learn about it, but I'll leave performing it until another time. So much advice in this forum! Thanks!

- Jared
Jared Brandt
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Check out the third illusion down...

http://tinyurl.com/cv88y

Lyndel
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
That illusion does look mighty impressive... but I unfortunately don't have that much available to spend. I was hoping to pick up some plans or a book somewhere of an illusion that would be quite cost effective.

- Jared
Jared Brandt
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Hi Jared,
I am the builder of that motorcycle illusion on Magic Auction. It cost me about $700 to build and is a big prop. I work a lot of hip hop shows, biker events, tattoo conventios, rock shows, and the like. If you want to PM me and I can explain in great detail the type of effects that might better fit the perfromance you are undertaking.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Motorcycle Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL