The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Holding Out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Has anyone ever palmed a coin secretly but have a spectator ask to see that hand. what do you say and do. Has this happened to You, it happened to me me last night and I am performing again tonight and would like to be ready for it this time.

Thanks, Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Depends on where you are and what you are doing.

Perhaps you could just produce the coin and then vanish it again(cleanly)

Or maybe you might have to go right into some creative handwashing... it depends on the conviction that something is actually in your hand.

If you are setup for a jumbo steal, then it might be a good oppertunity to direct attention to the dirty hand, steal the jumbo with the mondo misdirection("oh you want me to open up that hand?"). Then you could say "Well yes I usually keep one in that hand, but it doesn't explain where this BIG one comes from" and then change it into a jumbo...

Also, there should be no "pauses" in your routine for them to ask to see your hand. Anytime you are dirty there should be a direction or something to hold their attention.... you don't need to distract them, just keep them mentally occupied.

Practice makes perfect and you just need to pay your dues performing until situations like those take care of themselves with experiance.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Depends on if you're sitting at a table, using an extra coin or gaff, standing w/ surrounded or w/ no one behind you and at what point in the routine you're in when challenged.

Lapping techniques, backpalms and back clips comes to mind.

Daegs makes very good suggestions.
With a steady pace, the proper conviction via handling and You yourself believing the hand is empty there shouldn't be challenges.

There are however those who are in the know and will try and ruin the whole thing.
I hope the suggestions here help you find outs at any point in your routines where you may be challenged.

Good luck,
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
If you can't ditch it, or you don't want to use a behind the hand concealment or hand washing sequene to show it, just quickly proceed into your routine. They will get over it.

I have had this happen before, at the beginning of a coins across routine, and I just said, well let me vanish a coin from here, and make it travel to here, so I actually have something to show you in my hand.

So making the first coin go across, and then showing her uses the routine to clean up the situation.
Click to visit:
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Always be ready to jazz. Have a flawlessly rehearsed and routined one coin flurry on the bench ready to call up if you get caught. Somehow, find a way to bridge it as part of the routine, as if you meant to be caught, and then nail them with the out.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-16 04:40, Lukas wrote:...it happened to me me last night and I am performing again tonight and would like to be ready for it this time....

Lukas, would you tell us more about the situation? We can offer better suggestions when we know more specifics.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Holding Out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL