The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prism questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
I really have literally no mentalism in my repertoire. so I was wondering if this would be to hard. I also would like to know what the material is like in prism. Do you need nail writers and stuff? Can this material be performed walk around? Can any mentalism be performed walk around? Sorry, I'm new. lol. Can I carry a deck of cards, a small notepad, and a pencil and be able to do mentalism from this book? If not can I find mentalism that can be done strolling?
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
I think there are a lot of effects in the book that can be done strolling.
Some are even totally impromptu.

I am currently halfway through the book and I REALLY love it. After all the hype about it I thought maybe I would be disappointed but I am very much surprized as to how good this book really is.

For some of the effects you will require a nail writer, but there are plenty of other effects where you won't be needing one. A pack of cards, a pad of paper and maybe some coins and you are set to go.

There are some stage effect in the book. Actually, this book has something for everyone in my opinion. Most importantly, almost every effect got my brain juices working.

Just one more thing about this book (which I personally love but it may not be so for you):
It is precise and to the point and ocasionally it assumes previous knowledge like billet switching, nail writing and some other stuff.
I love this since I get to see the core effect without lengthy texts about the method. But if you lack other sources for basic stuff, it may feel like he is going to fast.

But I love the book.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
I too love the book. As a mindreader who performs on stage and close up there is a ton of great material in Prism. If you are new to mentalism buy Mind, Myth and Magick from TA Walters, it is a great book, with a ton of information.

Also, check into some NLP techniques for real mindreading effects. I bought an ebook from http://www.subliminalpersuasion.co.uk (I think it is .co.uk, if it isn't try .com) The guys name is David Shuttleworth. The book is great.

Also, buy BOTH Derren Brown books!
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
772 Posts

Profile of Snidini
This is a great book and one that has been in much demand to be reprinted. Do your self a favor and pick up a copy. You will not regret it at all, especailly when it goes out of print. Make a mental note of this: I predict our next generation of young magicians will be buying it on ebay for a few hundred dollars in the years to come.

Snidini
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Thanks guys. I ordered it along with strong magic. ten years later I'm gonna be selling it for a couple hundred. lol. that's magic that really does pay itself off
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
That's great!
I was going to recommend Strong Magio but didn't because it is not related to what you askd.
Strong Magic is the best book I have ever read in it's topic.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
If you are new to mentalism I strongly recommend 13 Steps to mentalism...
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Another vote for 13 steps. A very good introduction to several branches of mentalism and from thereon you can choose where you will focus and find addtional information.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Aside from the "13 Steps" I would recommend a basic grounding in Annemann's works, either Practical Mental Magic, or "The Jinx" would also be a good start to building up knowledge about mentalism.

Personally Mind, Myth, and Magick, while a good and excellent reference tool, might be a bit much for anyone beginning in the mentalist arena, even someone who has been doing magic for a while.

I would recommend "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" as his material is well written, uses items in use every day, and his material is not that difficult to learn. The difficult part is in the framing of the effects to suit your performance style.

The "Peek Performances" books by Richard Busch are, what I consider at least, must haves, as billet work for the most part are effects that are used in most performances.

For a good reference library of ideas, Lee Earles' "M.I.N.D." and his "Syzygy" book and the DVD containing the best effects from that book are also "essential".

Mavens' Prism has got to be near the top of the list if only for the clarity of the writing and instruction.

Richard Osterlind, Max Maven, Raymond Carlyle have also put out some rather excellent instructional material on DVD that I find to be a great addition to my learning process, I'm more of a visual person, and seeing Richard Osterlind working with his centre tear,or bending metal, helps me follow along the printed instructions.

For learning cold readings, Ian Rowland, Bob Cassidy, Lee Earle, and Dewey's works should likewise be considered.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
enigmax
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
115 Posts

Profile of enigmax
MindGuy has laid out a great list of mentalism books. Maven's stuff is great and workable. What you have todo is wade through it and pick the pieces that fit your performing style and venue, then fiddle with presentation until it fits your character.
"To be on the wire is life, the rest is waiting"
Karl Wallenda
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
The only complaint I have about PRISM is that there are far too many stooge based effects.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-07-24 00:50, 7th_Son wrote:
The only complaint I have about PRISM is that there are far too many stooge based effects.

I can share your concern, but I try to keep in mind that the process is one of sifting; that is taking those effects and working it into you performance style.

Something else to consider:

If you read an effect that requires a "stooge", could that effect be modified to the extent that the "stooge" (Personally I'd take Curly over Moe; he's more fun to work with.) asspect can be removed? Perhaps modifying things so that the end result is a "prediction" of some sort?

Just something to consider; after all I don't think, in Mavens case, he's looking for a clone....

Just a thought.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
I have the originals and they are great
TJ
:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prism questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL