The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Hey all,
I'm new to this stuff but I've learned a couple of things about TTs that may be helpful to other beginners.

First, I discovered by accident that a jacket or sweatshirt with a hand warmer pocket is a great way to go. Keep the TT in the hand warmer pocket and it is easily accessible with either hand. It also makes ditching the TT very easy as both hands can go into the same pocket at the same time… great for tight fitting TTs.

Second, Hottrix makes a very realistic looking TT. Takes some of the worry out of it for us beginners. However the color is probably not right for very many of us, so unless you get lucky or you are willing to go to the hassle of customizing the color, it may not be right for you. I wasn't willing to go to that trouble so I use a plain looking plastic TT, but it's been said so many times on this site before, it's amazing what people don't see.

Hope this stuff can help someone. Smile
koji
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of koji
I was told once that the spectators wouldn’t notice. I used to have a TT that whenever I tried to disappear the hanky, you could see the color inside. But I was told that you can do it and even do it right in front of their face and they wouldn't even notice. The person who told me this said that he attended a convention and there was a seminar of some sort on this particular subject.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Coloring your TT is quite easy, using foundation makeup, find the foundation closest to your skin color and apply it to your TT, next coat it in clear nail polish and your TT is ready to go.

I store/ditch mine in the "key" pocket on my pants, it's that odd little pocket that no one knows what it is used for that is sewn on the inside of the larger pocket.

Concealing during use is easy if you keep your thumb in line with and just behind your index finger. A little misdirection and they'll never notice.

Until you get the hang of it you can tilt your hand slightly towards your body.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
The hardest part of learning to use a TT is developing the confidence that it won't be seen. If you use proper angles when you work with it, it will be completely unnoticed regardless of the color. The fancy painted and detailed TTs are really a waste of money.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Kraminator
View Profile
New user
Florida
47 Posts

Profile of Kraminator
I don’t even know what a TT is. Smile
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
X-Treem,

If I coat my TT with clear polish after the foundation is set, won't my TT be too shiny??

I want to know before I try it. I have the hottrix one so it's expensive too.

To all,

What's the best video or DVD source to learn how to do the best or quickest TT bill switch?

Jay Sankey? Which video?
25 Tricks with a TT? Good or bad?

Other videos???
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Apprentice,
I got some PMs so let me start by saying the makeup won't come off if you cover it with the nail polish.

Now to your question, it will for a very short time be shiny but not long enough for anyone to notice (other than you). I believe there may be dull nail polish now as well. I don't wear nail polish (for obvious reasons) but I thought I caught a commercial about it.

One draw back is that the nail polish is kind of sticky and may, over time, collect lint on your TT, you can clean it with warn water and a little soap without the stuff coming off.

It also works great on a vinyl TT that I use and recommend.

A thought, and it is just that, as I have never tried it, is to apply a dusting of Baby powder or talc powder to the TT after aforementioned applications. It should dull the color and maybe make it not so sticky. Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kraminator
View Profile
New user
Florida
47 Posts

Profile of Kraminator
Thanks for telling me the meaning of TT. I use it too, and its fun. But I have a cheap version, so I probably need to upgrade.

Too bad there is no magic dictionary (or did I miss something), at least I know what IT is. Smile

Cheers,

Kraminator
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I better add, if you hang out in Penny for your Thoughts, TT can also mean Thought Transmitter.
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Thank you X-treem for answering my questions and for the tips.

I will look for those transparent nail polishes.

Any tips on where to start learning the TT method? I know it's easy but I've no clue how to do it. When I bought my TT, that's all it came with, no instructions and no advanced handling.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1361 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I had a metal TT that didn't look too realistic, so I went to town on it, with some acrylic paints, and painted it to look identical to my thumb... full details, not just a single uniform color… probably a little overkill, but it worked.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hiya, Geoff that sounds cool! Mine looks like it was cut off a robot or something so I crammed it into a vinyl TT and it works great.

Apprentice, I PM'ed you with an offer to help learn the TT, reply when you have a chance.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
There are two small books on TT that you might find useful. One by Tony Spina, one by Pat Page: I can't remember the titles.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Tony Spina, 25 tricks with Secret Gimmick.

Pat Page's Book of TTs as well as a video.

Another book off hand or off thumb (laughing stupidly to myself for that one) is TT Miracles, by Darwin.

Hope this helps.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Two tips for a TT that I haven't seen anywhere else:

When carrying it with you all the time, put it point down in a 35 mm. film canister (empty, of course!) and it will stay upright in your pocket and not get as dirty, from contact with coins, keys, or whatever.

To become comfortable with it, wear it all the time, when you're not performing.
When I was a young magus (back at the dawn of time), I can recall an older performer, Charlie Roe, who worked full time as a printer, wearing his all the time at work; the other employees just thought it was some sort of protective device for the work he was doing.
But it gets you used to the feel of the thing and gets you acting naturally while wearing it.
Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2972 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Here is a tip to color your TT's: Just get fine grit sandpaper and sand it all over except for the nail. Then get some lipstick, a light shade of red or reddish color and rub it into it. Take a napkin or tissue and wipe it down very, very well.
There will be no shine, the color will be natural with light and darker areas of color just like your real ***** (Take a look at your ***** and you'll see what I mean.) The sanding aids in the color variations and reduces the shine. I use it on my D'lites too.
Try it... it looks that good!!!
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
If you can understand the French language, there's a very good video by Gaetan Bloom entirely dedicated to the TT. Not only does it explain some excellent routines, it also gives a bunch of expert advice regarding the use of that clever little device.
The tape is available from Mayette Magie Moderne (Dominique Duvivier).
G. Bloom is now quite famous in the USA, but I don't know whether or not that particular tape has been translated in English.
Hope that helps.
To Peter Marucci: the use of the 35mm film canister is demonstrated by Bloom, in an easy to do "Dollar Bill Serial Number Divination"...
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
What is a TT??? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL