The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what a good place to start learning billiard ball magic would be. I am currently trying to enlarge my repertoire of non-card magic and because I haven't seen many performances that use billiard balls, I think it would be a fun and interesting route for me to explore. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Eric D.
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic, Tarbell course in Magic, Jeff McBride's World class manipulation videos, Tim Wright's Multiplying balls video, Shimada's videos. Using this sources you will know much about ball manipulation.
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Thanks!

I think I'll start with McBride!

-Eric D.
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
That is a very good idea! McBride's videos are just awesome!
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Good choice in props Eric...the multiplying billiard balls is a classic and I'm glad they are not on everyone's must have trick list! I've enjoyed performing them for over a year now. I prefer the wooden ones.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also recommend an old book called "It's Easier Than You Think" by Geoffry Buckingham. It is an older book, but is packed with great advice and ideas on billiard balls, how to steal and make body loads and misdirection.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7522 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The classic reference is "Expert Billiard Ball Manipulation" by Burling Hull. It is more of a collection of moves. Other sources previously listed are better for routining a routine.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I noticed that Tim Wright's video on the billiard balls is currently listed on ebay with a "buy it now" price of $15. It is an excellent and enjoyable source.

The usual disclaimers apply.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
How can you get Buckingham's books?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7522 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Magic Inc. owns the copyright and still sell the Buckingham books. Give them a call and I am sure they can help you.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
I think we are in the same position Eric,
I am also looking for ball tricks to help cut down my card stuff
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
I ordered a wooden billiard ball set years ago, and it came with the a little orange instruction card which I will now expose here: FIG. 1 Hand with 1 ball. FIG. 2 Hand with 2 balls. FIG. 3 Hand with 3 balls. That was it! No description. So, I think you are smart to look into sources for routines, so you won't be disappointed if you order a set of balls and there isn't even a basic routine. I had help from a nearby magic shop once I showed them my dilemma. I think the billiard balls are the best lesson in misdirection that I have learned, even better than the cups and balls. My original wooden set were 2" diameter (I figured the bigger the better), but I kept dropping the 4th ball. Then I tried the Vernon balls which are highly textured. I didn't drop them, but found them to be noisy and painful. So, I've gone to a 1.5" set of wooden billiard balls and am very happy. When choosing what size to order, you might try spreading your fingers as far as is comfortable and measuring the smallest gap at the tips. Good luck,

Chris
GrahamFishman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of GrahamFishman
Start out with some Fakini golf balls and work up to 2-inch Fakini balls. as for learning the moves check out McBride's stuff or get your hands on Lewis Ganson's "Routined Manipulation" as a cheaper alternative.

graham fishman
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
If you want to learn some basic moves of billiard balls without the expense, first try and get some 1 3/4 inch bouncy balls. They work great and cost very little. This is a great way to learn some basic ball moves and handling without a huge investment. Then if you enjoy what you are doing, you can invest later in a Fakini set.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7522 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you plan on using 2" balls, start with 2" balls. The handling, angles and such are very much different than smaller balls. Why go through the trouble of learning it twice? If you can learn the moves with 2" balls, 1" balls will seem like marbles.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
Quote:
On 2005-07-18 23:07, hugmagic wrote:
The classic reference is Expert Billard Ball Manipulation by Burling Hull. It is more of a collection of moves. Other sources previously listed are better for routining a routine.

Richard

Any idea where to source this book please?

cole. x
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7522 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe it was republished by Mickey Hades. It has tons of moves in it. But for gosh sakes, don't use them all. Otherwise check with used book dealers.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
Would micky hades be hades publications? http://www.trickster.com/

I'll definitely email them and find out if they can help.

I've had a good look around used book dealers already and that is what prompted my post - the prices dealers are asking for this book are rather hefty!

thanks for the info richard.

cole. x
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7522 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is a collectible book that is tender in condition in most instances. I do not know the address for Mickey Hades books. Sorry.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Chris Bristow
View Profile
New user
Warwick, Rhode Island
67 Posts

Profile of Chris Bristow
Magicbooks.com is currently carrying this book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.76 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL