The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
Wow - thanks a lot chris!

have ordered it today.

cole.
coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
Turns out magicbookshop.com only had volume two of 'expert billiard ball manipulation' by burling hull.

I ordered it and they will look out for a copy of volume one for me (i thought they were very friendly and have so far provided an excellent service), but if anyone knows of somewhere that currently has a copy for sale I'd very much appreciate a heads up.

many thanks,

cole. x
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5830 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
My favorite billiard routine to watch is Tim Wright's. Get his video.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
For billiard balls you might want to start with the Vernet balls. They are inexpensive and very easily manipulated. The one drawback is that they are covered with little prickly points. This is why they 'stick' to your hand so well. It's also why they hurt a little.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
I have the Vernet billiard balls. Thos e points will tear up your hands. In time they wear down and can be really beautiful though. My hands, unfortunately, being a female are a bit on the small side. They're a bit on the large side for me. That fourth ball is murder. Fun stuff though.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Nell is right, they are 1 3/4 balls. The thing is, those things stick to your hands like fishhooks (and feel like it). Of course, it does encourage learning a gentle touch.

I've heard the Fakini's are great but, hey, I find it really hard to justify the price since Billiard Balls is a small part of my show.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is a big price and a big investment. However, they last a life time if you treat them well and they more then pay for themselves after just a few performaces. I just love my set and they are just by far the best out there.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Maybe I'll look into buying a set of Fakaini's. I have all the accessory balls for the vernet's though, but I am limited for performance with the set as my hands haven't grown in the past ...oh almost a decade, so I don't think they will start now.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nell:

If you plan on using them and doing routines with them in your performances of your magic, then they are certainly worth the investment. I got 1 3/4 inch balls and they work best for me as I tried out various sizes before finding what was most natural and comfortable for my own hands.

If you invest in them now, they will serve you a life time if you take proper care of them. You will also find that they work so much better then any other balls you will ever have tried. There just are certain moves you just can not do unless you have a Fakini ball.

Vernets hurt my fingers too much when I tried them and their were roll moves I could not do with them. If they fell, they did not bounce like the fakinis will and the Vernets tended to chip more easily.

If you do get the Fakinis, I would reccomend the Yellow or the White. I personally use the white myself and they work good as they show up well under most any lighting conditions. TRhey also get a great effect when a black light is placed on them. I have done this in the theater for some nice effects also.

I wish you much luck and success with them. Keep me posted if you can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
Are all fakini balls uv active then kyle?

I only ask because up until now, I did not know of any white uv active silicone ball manufacturers.

there are lots of uv active dyes that manufacturers use with silicone balls but I've never found a white set that fluoresces like the coloured ones.

do you know if there are any images available of the balls under a blacklight?

cole. x
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
They aren't always available but Frank does make a 1-5/8" Fakini ball. There are also a number of the "ancillary" balls made but probably not many of them in that size. Both Stevens Magic and Denny & Lee carry about the largest selection available.

Be aware though that sometimes production of the balls does fall behind. The production of the Fakini's is definitely a mom & pop operation.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have just used the white ones and the yellow ones under a black light conditions and they show up well enough for me and worked out quite well with the proper lighting. I also wore black gloves so that the balls really stood out much better.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Thanks for the info in response to my typo-filled post. (My mind starts moving 10 steps ahead of my fingers and I become the Queen of typos!) Anyhow, I will look into buying a set of Fakini's because I really do want to add a billiard ball routine to my act. Thanks again for the info!
Amazing Rallo
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Amazing Rallo
If you haven't ordered your silicone billiard balls yet, Daytona Magic offers a set of 1 1/2" for $65.00 I think. 4 balls and 2 s*****.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Would daytonas silicone balls (that sounds awfull) be as good a quality as fakinis?
or are they a smaller rip off?
does anyone use them?
Personaly I have had no trouble with the vernet set together with the vernet hank ball. I perform almost daily and the little pricks (that doesn't sound good either) don't bother me at all. viceversa - they assist in manipulting when my hands are dry and living in eilat (40 degrees in the summer with about 10% humidity) they get quite dry most of the summer season.
How do the fakinis balls manipulate in dry hands? could they slip and if so would the white or yellow ones bick up grissle and dust from the floor and stain aswell?

dani
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nell:
You are most welcome. If I can be of further help to you, please just let me know. I would love to help you out in any way that I can. I love billiard ball and manipulative magic in general and I strive to create acts that are not just a showing off of skill alone. I strongly feel that a manipulator can give an audience much more than that. I wish you the best with it.

The Fakinis work wonderfully in dry weather cause of the silicone they are made out of. The grip is just amazing. The bigger problem for the manipulator is working or doing them in the cold. Not so much for the balls themselves, but because of the muscles in your hand feeling like they are moving much slower.

This is a natural occurance and happens to anyone. This is why it is best to keep your hands warm and to also warm up the fakinis before any show you are doing.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
No matter what Balls you decide to purchase, the overall size is very important. They must "Fit" the hand. This will make the manipulations appear more natural. Adding to the list is Buckley's 'Principals and Deceptions'Here is the contents of CHAPTER FOUR - Magic With Billiard Balls
My Original Billiard Ball and Card Harness
Pointers
The Production of a Ball From Behind the Left Hand followed by the Take Away Vanish
A Ball Held in the Finger Palm Position by the Left Hand is Secretly Removed by the Right Hand in Passing
The Wrist Roll
The Production of a Ball on the Fist
Moving the Ball Down from the Fist Position to the First and Second Finger
The Production of a Ball Between the Middle Fingers from the Palm Without Aid from the Thumb
The "De'Biere" Production of a Ball
The Ball Roll from Finger to Finger
The Ball Roll with Another Ball Concealed in Your Palm
The Knee Roll Vanish
The Strike Vanish
The Wrist Roll and Palm Off Vanish
Concealing a Ball Behind the Hand While Both Palms Are Shown
Color Changes (first method)
(second method)
(third method)
(fourth method)
The Ball and the Handkerchief
Production of Eight Solid Balls at the Finger Tips Without a "gimmick"
Concluding Remarks
Work with Balls is demanding and hours of practice are required. Is this Easy Magic? NO! When done correctly it is one of the most beautiful and stunning effects in magic.
Regards,
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I agree wholeheartadly Wizzard and Magic4uo2,
that is why I've been practicing my woodeen balls for over 3 years and have yet to actually put them in my act...it takes a lot to satisfy my ego and I'm just not set right yet, with the best routine...but good things come to those that wait, it's been said.

Hehehehe, I copped a couple of square wooden cubes the same size and color as my billiard ballses from one of my kidses old wooden block set, I've got me some good handlings wiff 'em.

Also, I've incorperated red confetti into the routine, where a wooden cube turns into red confetti, it looks kool. Smile

I love my ballses, but what has it got in it's pocketesess???

hehehe...Smile

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
My Vernets are 1.5", so that just confirms that I have REALLY small hands. I'm extremely leery of 1.75", and on that note 2" is completely out of the question! I'm determined to perfect a billiard ball routine though, so...we'll see what happens with it. Thanks again!
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Nell, I mentioned before, I have been using the vernet balls for such a long time, I have literaly worn them out having to purchase a new set at one point. But I purchased the set for 2 reasons.
1. once you perfect and perform your routine daily - it becomes a part of you and I for one, cannot part with this woderfull routine in my show. I have a comedy routine with patter and is suitable for all ages from kids to adults.
Nell - I suggest you try to build a good routine with vernet balls and put it into day to day use - you wont be sorry althoughit will take time to get yourself used to it. it's worth the time.
Personaly, I love manipulation and I think this is a classic. I cant stand linking rings and chop cups and card tricks but I love multiplying balls.

2. I never knew fakini balls existed up until now.
I intend getting a set and I cant wait to try them in my hands and in front of my audience.

Enjoy,

Dani
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL