The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sylvester Pitch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

5CardStud
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of 5CardStud
Hey guys,

Before anyone gets disheartened I have already searched and read through the archives on this subject for the past 30 minutes Smile Personally, I look at this as my signature move. I have lots of routines and applications for this move, I really fell in love with it! Most of the previous posts are where to buy it, where to learn it and does it really work. Personally, I was wondering what people have found from using it in the real world. Any tips flicks or tricks that you have for this move? I personally find that the entire audience must have a clear view of the "first" coin and you must condition them to its flight before you try it with the "second" coin. that's just one thing I've found, what did you guys find? Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8660 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Stud,

It is an extremely versatile move, but I think a lot of folks find it difficult and don't use it much. To me, it is one of the most amazing sleights I've seen, and to see Sylvester work it/explain it/use it is just remarkable. It's a funny thing to get a real handle on, and it can be used in many ways...I've seen some interesting variations of its usage that aren't exactly like what Sylvester teaches but clearly his work. Personally, I use it to switch out a gaff coin. Funny, I didn't learn how to do it well (and still can't do it very well the way Sylvester does it) until trying a variation of it, finding it somewhat unneccesary and figuring a seemingly better way to do it...And the better way was Sylvester's way, just slowed down a bit when you make the pitch and transfer. When I finally got it down (for this routine I was learning) I realized it was exactly what Sylvester was teaching. Funny, I was able to do it better than when I was trying to do it learning it from Sylvester....Go figure! Smile

Anyway, it's a fantastic move and in Sylvester's hands it's a real winner and could compete with just about any sleight out there that you might call slick and or superb. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How did you encorporate the pitch into your body language?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
5CardStud
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of 5CardStud
Its easy Jonathan. If you have ever read Gary Kurtz Leading with your Head you will see that the two phases of the pitch are the two states Gary talks about, Active and Relaxed. you lean forward and enter your active state as you present the coin around to the audience, focusing on the fact that it is on your hand. The flight and the switch take part in the relaxed phase. This to me serves 2 purposes;

1) If they focused on the coin and the relaxed state doesn't work as well as it should as a form of mis direction they will still be focused on the coin. They can't see the other coming across is they're properly focused on the first.

2) If the entering the relaxed state works as misdirection, they have no reason to suspect anything.

Also, don't forget folks this is something you should be able to do WITHOUT looking. When you can do it without looking you will have something that obeys the first laws of proper mis direction in magic. They look were you look, you look at the coin on phases one, during the pitch you look at them. Simple Smile

5Card Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You might find this fun practice, and even useful and deceptive at the right moment. It came about in the context of cleaning up a moment in a new routine of mine:

Display a coin on the palm up left hand. Another palmed in right. Shuttle pass, slide the visible coin to the right fintertips, then Sylvester Pitch back as you place the visible coin back on the left hand.

Looks very clean, and a good follow up if the initial coin is actually, say, a c/s you've just caused to "change". Obviously, it's not a series of motions you'll be able to use in every situation, but cleverly applied, may serve you.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
5CardStud
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of 5CardStud
Something I didn't mention is I always use Dans first method. I don't particularly like the version Greg Wilson uses. What methods is everyone else using?

5Card Smile
wdmonroe
View Profile
New user
va beach, va
33 Posts

Profile of wdmonroe
I use it to display a half dollar and show both hands "empty" while pitching a jumbo coin. I produce the half dollar ala "Maske Load" in the LH. Show the audience on the left side the coin and when I get to the middle, I sylvester pitch the jumbo to left and half to right, then show the half dollar to the folks on my right side and then "stretch the half to jumbo". The beginning part of my jumbo routine. Cheers,

Bill
as you help others; you in turn help yourself.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8660 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Curtis,

I like the little move you describe using Sly's Pitch and it works well with a little Spellbound action. Very effective in quitely making the point that you have only one coin, and that can be hard to sell sometimes in doing a 2-coin spellbound, as Dave Neighbors(?) once said. But your use of the Pitch here helps the sequence immensely. Thanks for mentioning it. Good shoot! Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Yeah, I love the pitch. I use it like Mb217 does. I don't find it too hard to incorporate the move, either. Usually, I throw the ungaffed coin over to my right (while doing the pitch) and say something like, "As you can see, the coin blah blah blah" and go on. It's a very useful move, I love it. Sylvester does it amazingly.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8660 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey LD,

When I use this pitch, I do not setup in the exact same way as Sylvester. The mechanics are a little more deliberate but still the same. In this way, I can make the pitch setting the coin directly into the left hand (speaking as right-handed). with pretty much no sudden move or discernable jerkiness. The Pitch is made actually just before the coin is set onto the left palm. And really, I don't have to turn any particular way, though it can be helpful at times. You actually can do this facing forward. The pitch is made so close to the approaching right hand that if you work on your smoothness, it's pretty much undetectable and quite believable. The move allows you to go on and do a lot of other stuff, but the biggest benefit is clearly showing your hands to have just one coin, even when specs at first might suspect 2 coins or more.

Curtis' short thoughts here of this as a practice move is something actually that can be put into real practice giving more versatility to a lot of coin movements. He's right on point with this little throw-away! Smile

And I agree, Sylvester is amazing with this move and with it I believe he became a tremendous innovator. I mean, it's just one move BUT what a move! Smile It opens up a tremendous amount of possibilities and no one has demonstrated that any more than The Jester himself (I would also say that about Mickey Silver and his tremendous use of his SUV)...Yes, absolutely Amazing! Smile A lot of guys have good chops and or are more than technically proficient, but not many get to be "Amazing." Believe me, people know the difference (magicians too). Smile Truth be told, Sylvester is a very talented guy in more ways than one or just magic. We should all be so lucky. Smile In the mean time, we're lucky to have this move and all the creative possibilities it has unleashed into the magical minds of many. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sylvester Pitch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL