We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Just a Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Did anyone, when they done there first performence mess up, if so what did you do. I would like to start performing magic for parties but I am scared I will mess up,

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2702 Posts

Profile of sethb
Since nothing goes right 100% of the time, it is inevitable that at some point you will mess up. If and when that happens, just keep on going anyway. Singers don't stop in the middle of a show because they hit a wrong note, and neither should you. If the audience likes you and is having a good time, they will either ignore it or forgive you -- assuming that they caught the mistake in the first place.

Having said that, the best way to avoid messing up is to practice over and over, until you know each move in your sleep, and you have figured out exactly what you will do. That will give you the confidence to perform well. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Yes, and not only on the first performance.
At the first I think turned cherry red and said something like, "Well, I just blew that really good." and moved on in a shaky sweat.

Messing up and getting caught is part of the learning experience.

It sounds like you need to practice more and look for ways to recover from mistakes.

For a lot of us who don't perform much, there's always a bit of fear or a case of nerves.
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Right before you will start to perform, when you just appear in front of your audience think how much have you practice and how good your skill is. This helps.
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Thanks for the tips Guys

Lukas

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Lukas,
Embrace the fact that you WILL mess up
Plan what you will do WHEN you mess up
Routine and script for recovery. When you rehearse, do the good version and also practice the "whoops" edition of the routine. Only then will your mental state be a bit more "bulletproof". Eugene Burger has a nice essay on what to do when you get caught or the magic fails on his website: http://www.magicbeard.com
Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Eric McDonald
View Profile
New user
Maryland
19 Posts

Profile of Eric McDonald
One of the most helpful things I've learned in magic is to not tell the audience what is supposed to happen next. It sets up suprise and helps to misdirect. But it also leaves you a way out just in case what you want to happen does not.

Also, keep the shows simple and short. REHEARSE like an actor would do for a play. When you can run through the show smoothly, you'll feel confident when it is time to deliver.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Eric is right. Always remember that the only person who is to know what is to happen next is yourself. With this in mind, your audience will not usually know there is something wrong unless you TELL them their is something wrong through your voice and body movements.

This also means that in your routines and acts, you should have and put in "outs" for situations that could happen. These outs are alternative routes you can take the routine in should something wrong occur. This puts you more at ease knowing that you can take the routine or act in a different direction if you need to.

Another important key is knowing that mistakes are the building blocks to success and failure is what success breeds upon. What I mean is that if you really study failure and learn to understand why it happened, then this can give you so much valuable information and it allows you to grow in your magic. We all make mistakes. It is the successful magicians who try and learn from these mistakes.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Do any of you guys still get nervous when you perform. that's another thing I am woried about shanking can't do manipulations properly, speaking can't get the words out ect.

Lukas

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think I now get nervous not out of fear of my audience or fear of being in front of them. I have nervous feelings if I am not prepared or feel that something is not set up right. That is where I think a lot of our nerves come from for some magicians.

With this in mind, I create a better aptmosphere for myself by allowing and giving myself ample time to prepare my shows the proper way. I do this through constant practice of the routines, by making sure I have "outs" incase anything should go wrong and also by giving myself ample time to set up the show once I arrive at a place. This always helps to calm me down.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Lukas-

Welcome to the performing world!!

We all get nervous even the top performers in any field-stand up , music etc

We get better in time by eliminating what might go wrong but don't dwell on it!!

Kyle & a few of the others have plenty of experience regarding having an "Out" Its great advice-you need to rehearse your act so that you know the audience will enjoy what you do & you know it all well you can do it in your sleep!!

You have to start somewhere-the more shows you do the more confident you will become & the effects you perform -you will know what works & what doesn't through audience reaction etc

Keep it up-Let us know how you go

If your really nervous speaking-Perform your first effect to music to get a few claps & build confidence!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Just a Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL