The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The New Timing is Everything - My Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
On this site, there have been only a few brief reviews of Tony Clark's Timing is Everything DVD. I am surprised that more people haven't mentioned this DVD on the Café. It is the type of magic that is just beautiful to watch. I have not really experimented much with lapping in the past, but I will now definitely be using the method in the future. I loved this DVD so much, that I wanted to share a more thorough review of it with you guys...

Jumbo Coin Routine:
Lots of productions and vanishes. This was alright for me. Many of the moves seemed obvious to me, but I am sure that to a laymen, it's an entirely different experience. It is a nice routine and the ending was pretty and unexpected for me.
Rating: 6/10

Knife Swallowing:
Explaining that he has been practicing sword swallowing, by starting with smaller knives, the performer attempts to swallow a butter knife. The knife is swallowed completely, and the hands and mouth are shown empty. This actually fooled me pretty good. I suspected sleeving, after the initial viewing of this effect, and I was wrong. This is a fun after-dinner effect that I will likely be using. It looks really good!
Rating: 7/10

Helicopter Cards:
A simple concept: a signed card jumps from the spectator's packet, and lands face down in the performer's face up packet. This totally fooled me, even after several viewings. The is a great routine and looks quite clean and impossible. The presentation and timing for the main move, is very nice and well-covered. After practicing this effect for a little while, I realized that the timing is a little more difficult than I thought it would be, in order to make this move look good. When Tony Clark does it, it looks great. I will need a lot more practice. It's not a difficult move, it just have to be timed right. For being the first card trick in a long time that has fooled me, I give it a high score.
Rating: 9/10

Homing Matches:
This is a very straight-forward and visual effect. All of the matches are ripped out of a match book, leaving it empty. The matches are then placed into the hand, the hand is closed and the matchbook is placed on the back of the fist. When the fist opens, the matches are no longer in the fist - they are back in the matchbook, securely attached. The method is fairly simple, but as the title of the DVD states, the timing is everything in this routine. I liked it a lot and will definitely try it out.
Rating: 8/10

Sweet Return:
Basically the identical effect as Homing Matches, except instead of matches returning to a matchbook, this routine features sugar returning to a sugar packet. I think I prefer the matches version, simply for the cleanup involved. Sweet Return looks nice, but it seems like it would leave you in a difficult situation to clean up from.
Rating: 6/10

Coins Through Table:
This routine actually consisted of four different coin effects: Coins Through Table, Wrong Way Coins, Coins Across, The One Coin Routine. Of those, my favorite was probably the One Coin Routine. It is a very nicely timed routine and it flows beautifully. The other routines are nice too, and have some clever moves and ideas.
Rating: 7/10

Paper Balls & Rings in Box (performance only):
This is a very beautiful routine. It is performed by Tony Clark as a tribute to Slydini, and he performs it VERY well. A real joy to watch and features great music too!
Rating: 9.5/10

Slydini's Footage - Paper Balls to Box and Torn and Restored Cigarette:
Absolutely awesome. I can see why Slydini was such an inspiration to Tony Clark and so many others. Simply beautiful magic and unbelievable misdirection and timing.
Rating: 10/10 (how could you rate it any lower than that?)

I am thinking that the reason this DVD has not received a huge amount of attention, is because the routines are not as hip, flashy and commercial as many of the current ones on the market. I can understand that. There is really nothing on Timing is Everything, that can be added to a walkaround magician's repertoire.

But for me, just the inspiration that this DVD gave me, to create and perform beautiful magic, was enough to make it one of my all-time favorites. Highly Recommended!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Thanks Danny. Was keeping an eye on this DVD for a long time. Good review!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
This DVD has been mentioned before in this section. It is a terrific DVD. I agree that it should have received more attention. The magic is entertaining and mystifying and the philosophy behind the moves are intriguing and can be applied to many other effects. Tony did an excellent job. His honest discussion of his past in quite inspiring as well. Highly recommended.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The New Timing is Everything - My Review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL