The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Nate Leipzig's Slow-Motion Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Been working on this for the last week from Amateur Magician's Handbook. Just wondering if any of you coin guys and gals do this. If so, what do you use for misdirection when putting the coin in back thumb palm? Any help would be appriciated

Thank You
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Given the recent tools like Edge Grip and JW Grip, some older things like reverse thumb palm and backpalm seem a bit quaint. Let's make that both awkward and quaint. Geoff Latta has some work on this thing from back in 1975 or so that you might want to check out.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Moving the coin to the back of the hand happens in the motion of turning the palm to face the audience and opening up the fingers. That should give you plenty of cover.

And Jon...I'm not certain that it is awkward or quaint. The reverse thumb palm, as used in this routine, allows for certain displays that wouldn't be possible with either edge grip or the JW Grip. Sure, you need to work to avoid "stiff thumb syndrome", but that can be managed, I believe, by studying and working to release the tension in your fingers. That's where I am with this routine now -- I have the basic techniqe down, but I'm working on managing the tension to give it a more relaxed look.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Try this:

Make a webcam video of the thing.
If if you can intercut it into Madonna's video for Vogue
Then you are only fooling yourself
And not doing magic

Unless of course that is your style.
One snap for bravery, one more snap if the thing works for you.
:)
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I would not dismiss the Back Thumbpalm. I have seen Bob Fitch use the move to extremely deceptive use.

The day after the NYC coin magic seminar I got to hang out with the guys at the Marc's, I used the back thumb palm with one of Fitch's retrievals in the context of a routine. I showed it to Rubinstein, Latta, Gallo, and Roth.

It caught every one of them. Geoff had me do it three times before he burned my hand to catch it.

It was kind of funny, after I did it Geoff told me, "You can actually do this stuff, I thought you just wrote reviews!" He gave me a good laugh on that. Great group of guys to hang out with.

So you can still use it deceptively.

Related to moves that usually look cozy... Mike Gallo privately showed me a routine using the JW Grip, this is one of the first times I have ever seen the move not look contrived. I held your opinion above on that concealment until I saw Mike do it.
Click to visit:
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
It's all about context, Jon... Smile

The magician talks about how quickness of the hand is not necessary to fool the eye, and offers a demonstration. Moving as slowly as possible, he places a coin in one hand and closes his fist around it. He then opens his hands one at a time so that both palms are facing the audience -- the coin is gone. Still moving slowly, he turns his hands over to show the backs. Nothing there either. Finally, he brings his hands together and suddenly a coin appears at the tips of his fingers.

Thinking out loud, I think what needs to be sold is the emotion of the performer as the coin vanishes and reappears as well as the fairness of each display. Oh yeah...and watch your angles. Smile Also, I see this more as an interlude or a brief quickie than a full show-piece.

Peter Samelson has also provided a nice context for the routine which I have used previously. It gets away from the overt front and back displays and instead does it incidentally in the context of the actions he carries out.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Following some advice from David Roth, I spent some time and attention to notice how my fingers rest and move. Likewise my thumb, which does not rest in a position anywhere close to where needed for rear thumbpalm. I gave up on most things where my hands present an awkward appearance. My loss perhaps. BTW I have nothing against the stylized stuff that filled older books and could be mistaken for vogueing today. Not my style. Then again I also don't go for the "puzzling" demonstration either. Too many times caught out by my younger brother who would simply grab my hand or move his head somewhere to catch angly concealments. If YOU want to go into trance and hope others will follow you in via stylized displays... more power to you.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
All good points, Jon...and yes, it definitely is a choice to go with things of this style. It's also not something for all situations. I also think that it shouldn't be presented simply as a puzzle of "where is the coin hiding?", which is why I mentioned about selling the emotion of the performer and the vanish and reappearance happen.

But hey...it's better for both of us that we don't do the same kind of material. Smile

-Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Nate Leipzig's Slow-Motion Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL