The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How did You (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
How did you start out in dove magic. I would love to start but my parents won't let me have them, untill I move out.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
tjkmagicman
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of tjkmagicman
Hey, I guess a lot depends on your parents but if you would take the initiative and do your homework on the care of doves etc. that would show your parents that you were serious and able to care for the doves. As usual when starting dove magic most dove workers recommend starting out with a pair of doves and then add more once you get a feel for caring and handling them. It also may help showing then video or something of the performance of a professional dove worker. I myself remember constantly showing my parents videos of rick thomas, greg frewin, jason byrnes, etc. I guess that,persistance, and showing them that I did my homework showed them that I was serious and willing to take care of doves and start dove magic. Im not saying that it will definitly work bc all parents are different but Im sure that it cant hurt to try... Just be sure to do all your homework bc dove magic can be very challenging. GOOD LUCK....

take care
Tim Kutch
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Parents can be very smart sometimes. They think like grown ups but in this this, it's a good thing. Most beginners don't realize that some doves have this uncanny feeling that they must coo all the time. So there is a noise factor to consider. Another forgotten and never known fact is that birds give off a powdery substance called dander. It doesn't seem like much but it builds up, gets all over everything and it's a real project to clean up. Of course it's only a problem if you're keeping them indoors. As Tim said, there's a lot of care that must go into keeping doves. Cleaning, feeding, and health issues require a lot of dedication. It's too late after you get the birds to decide to change your mind.

Do all the research you can. Read and watch the videos and be sure you are ready to take on the responsibility. Get all the materials you need first and show your parents you can handle it. Not much is ever said about the cost in maintaining doves. Besides food, remember the vitamins, treats, grit, and vet bills.

I never had to convince my parents since I didn't start using doves until I was out on my own but the requirements were the same. Instead of convincing my parents, I had to convince myself and my wife.
Where the magic begins
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
The tips you guy's have given me is going to be a big help. But if it does not work I will be moving out anyway next year once I am 18.

Thanks, Lukas

P.s. I'll let you know how it goes
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
croman
View Profile
New user
usa
64 Posts

Profile of croman
The first thing to start dove magic is to get doves,hehe.Tonuy Clark has great teaching material.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Sorry Croman, your advice is incorrect. Getting the doves is the last thing to do, not the first. Too many magicians run out, buy doves and then find out they haven't got a clue how to care for them properly, what is required to maintain them or how to train them.
Where the magic begins
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I will have to agree with Dave on that one. It is always better to read a few books, watch some DVD's and hopefully get some friendly advice from those here on the Café before aquiring your doves. Not only is is better for you to be as informed as you can, but is is better for your birds as well.

Doves do tend to be VERY loud and messy at times, as well you have to consider all of the time you have to put into caring, feeding and training your birds. It is a lot more work than you think.
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
Personally, I got my doves first, I did the stupid thing. I found out that a pet shop could get some in for me. I ran down there, bought them and a cage right away and thought everything would be super... Yeah, smart guy I was eh!

Well, I learned. It was hard to take care of them at first... Questions came up, lots and lots of questions! What do I feed them? Where do I keep them? How do they exercise? Do I clip their wings? How can I best classic palm one?

But I eventually learned, never gave up. I get pretty determined with stuff like that. And well, here I am, kind of. There were many more events in between, but that's how I started. And my parents still hate them! They care about my magic and what I do now, so it's not a big deal anymore. As Dave said though, there is a LOT to worry about, especially the random 6 in the morning cooing!!! *shakes fist, lovingly* It's a big decision, make it wisly, not on impulse.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey Cameron, consider yourself lucky if you have 6 AM cooing. Mine have no idea what time it is and don't wait for 6. Of course it sounds worse when you have a dozen of them in the garage and they all start at once. Smile
Where the magic begins
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Sorry if I am repeating anyone I didn't take the time to read every response but before buying doves get as much reading material as you can on them and make sure this is something you want to be involved with..... Next you should get a rubber dove or two and start practicing with that until you mastered the moves you need and to get a good feel of the harnesses.
Then I would give my parents a show using the rubber doves and prove to them that doves belong in your act.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How did You (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL