The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What If Spectators Want to Examine the Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi Guys:

Assuming that you are performing for your good friends, and the effects require ***f cards, eg.

1) A Dream of Aces
2) Ultimate 3 Card Monte
3) Ultimate Ace Assembly

(You know what I mean)

After performing, the your friends are amazed, and yet...sceptical.

Since the cards are not examinable after the effect, how would you respond if the spectators:

a) Request to examine the cards?; or
b) Instinctively pick up the cards to examine without seeking your permission?

- assuming that you perform in close up setting, with close up mat in front of you, and the spectator is just right in front of close up mat.

Thanks
dominik
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
143 Posts

Profile of dominik
Do some ungaffed magic first if you fear a spectator grabbing for the cards.
Check out the Lorayne video series. He has a killer version of the ace assembly that is performed with an ungaffed deck on one of the first volumes.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Agreed, dominik - if they get used to having normal cards, then they will not suspect a thing, and you may ring in the changes later.

That said, bold handling with the gaffs also makes them seem even more normal - during a performance, give them the cards to hold, but do not ask them to examine them - they will not notice a thing, but the fact that they have been held rules out any gaffs in the mind of the spectator. If you treat them just as cards, so will your spectators.

Too often there is a case of running without being chased' - "please examine these cards..they are all different, totally normal cards" - well, that makes the spectator suspicious.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Here are a few ways you can let them examine by switching the cards.

What you could do is get a credit card size himber wallet, have normal cards in one side, then when the effect is over put the cards into the wallet, if they ask to examine give them the normal cards.

Another thing you could do with a regular card wallet is: When you start the effect take the cards from a card wallet and then place the wallet into your left (or right) pocket, (lets say you put it in your left pocket, then have same cards non-gaff in your right pocket) go on with the effect, then when you are finished pretend to look for the wallet by putting both hands into your pockets while in the right pocket switch the cards, then take the wallet out of the left pocket and put the cars into it, at this stage you can hand them out if requested.

Mike
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I have to agree with dominik and sjdavison. Start off with un gimmicked effects, this will help eliminate suspicion especially if you let them handle the deck some. I will also agree with the bold handling of the gimmicks, In a spectators mind in a lot of cases if they are allowed to hold the cards then there must not be any thing special about them. But this isn't true all the time.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I think mike got the himber card idead from Michael Ammar etmcm 4 I think..is that rite..yeah its a great technique but I feel its not so good to carry packet cards in a seperate wallet as you will somehow arrouse suspicion to the audience when you just seperate those cards..its just my opinion..i don't use a himber wallet for cards..i just load them into the card case and close the flip and load the rest cards into it seperating the both..and I make the usual two hands to pocket for a swith after the effect..this way you will be clean and you can instantly load those switched cards to your normal deck and go for another trick..i took all of this from Jay Sankey videos..just for credit.
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What If Spectators Want to Examine the Cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL