The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » synchronicity III (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I just moved to NY and visited Tannens. They showed me an effect called Synchronicity III. Three blue backed cards are shown in a wallet. The wallet is shut with the three cards sticking out. This remains in full sight throughout.

A borrowed red backed deck is shuffled, shown front and back, and then spread out on the table. I was asked to pull out three cards from anywhere in the tabled spread. He had me place them face down on the squared face up tabled deck. He then had me pull out the three blue prediction cards from the wallet and put them in a row. I did the same with the face down selections sitting on the top of the deck. Upon flipping them over, they matched.

It's not a cheap effect. Does anyone own this or anything like it? You can check out the description at the Tannens website. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
I purchased Synchronicity III about three years ago when I was in NYC. It's a nice trick.

I believe Tannens does offer the manuscript + other parts without the wallet for about $15. If you already have a similar sized wallet, depending on the pocket layout, it's not difficult to make the necessary modifications (which do not deface the wallet).

If you have any further reasonable questions (i.e. not questions that reveal the method) about Synchronicity III, I'll be happy to answer them.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Yes, this is pretty neat. I'd be willing to trade my copy (wallet included) of it for something if you want, as I don't use cards.

Pm me.

/bamba
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
The new gourmet wallet for Deep Astonishment would go well with Synchronicity III. I bought Synchronicity III about ten years ago at Tannen's. Strong card magic if presented correctly.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
I have been doing SyncIII for about 10 years now and must say it is one awesome illusion. I only perform it with Tarot cards. Instead of a wallet, I use a small pocket-sized book on reading Tarot cards. It is a Collin Gems book that is the perfect natural forcing book also. If any of you have seen Doc Hilford's Real Mindreading video with only three tricks on it, you'll know what I mean. The Tarot book is already set up for this. So many believers, so little time! SyncIII rocks!!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Michael Pizzolla’s “Synchronicity III” was (and still is) a clever use of a gimmicked wallet. Michael managed to routine the necessary move right into the routine so that it generally went unnoticed. I first saw him perform it in Tannen’s in the late 70’s or early 80’s well before he put it out in Tannen’s New Stars of Magic series.

I think that it is still a strong piece of magic and as noted above by Marduke, once you know the little secret and have the necessary gimmicks made, it may be adapted to other than wallets and playing cards.

Duo Tec (and Duo Tec II) is a very similar effect that merits looking into. However, It is the prediction of only one card instead of the three freely selected cards of Synchronicity III. It also relies on a gimmick.

Both are good effects.

Years ago I learned a little routine along the same theme as both Synchronicity III and Duo Tec II. It was a little gem that was created by Arthur Carter and required no special gimmick. I think that Arthur released it as “Out of this Wallet”. All that is really necessary to perform the effect is a prediction card (I use a bridge card with a parrot back design) and a deck of cards (standard pucker), a sealed envelope with the prediction card inside (yes the actual prediction card is inside the envelope BEFORE the trick begins), and an ordinary wallet. The routine is based on subtlety not gimmicks. The handling is brilliant. It is almost impromptu! I have actually managed to perform it using a borrowed deck.

Of the three I like Carter’s version best. All are good, and all are worth a serious look.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of maratekin
Hi, Mumblepeas -

Nice review of these effects. Do you know where I might get a copy of Carter's method?

Thanks -

Mark
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
It sounds to me that Sync111 is the old "Thought Control" effect that was marketed by Richard Himber in the late 50's or early 60's. It was actually invented by T.A. Waters and then marketed by Himber.
It's so old it's new again. That said, it is a great effect. The clever handling of the gaffus by the way was devised at the same time 50's or 60's, by Lou Tannen, as I recall.
Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
John is right in that “Synchronicity III” is very similar to the older Richard Himber “Thought Control” effect. While the gimmicks are similar the handling is very, very different. In fact, Pizzolla managed to eliminate two great weaknesses in the Himber effect. I suspect that Pizzolla did incorporate some of Tannen’s ideas when he developed his trick as he hung out at Tannen’s shop and was a friend to Lou.

Sorry Mark, I don’t know where Carter’s version can be found. I bought it in London, England years and years ago. Perhaps the Café’s own Paul Hallas (email: p.hallas@ntlworld.com) has it in stock or has a reference for it. Sorry I am not much help here.

Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes, this has been out over 20 years as part of the New Stars of Magic series (I purchased it in 1982), I currently have stock of these in the UK (without the wallet, you can use your own). Himber and Mann are credited in the instructions I believe. It was certainly out long before Duo Tech.

Two presentations are given, one with playing cards one with a miniature Tarot deck (not supplied.) I have used it a couple of times in the past with alphabet cards (when working for KLM for instance.)

Peter Warlock may pre-date others with the principle, his version (with envelope like Duo-Tech rather than wallet) can be found in the hard cover version of his book "Warlock's Way" (but not in the softcover version which has a couple of things missing.)

Paul.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Paul, are you referring to the “Synchronicity III” or Carter’s “Out of this Wallet” as being in stock?

I knew that Synchronicity III was a New Stars in Magic release but don’t know abut the Carter version. The one I bought is only one page of printed instructions (came with a wallet).

Thanks!
adom
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of adom
I got Sychronicity III in Tannen's around 20 years ago - a copy of Volume 2, Number 4 of "New Stars of Magic" plus the gimmick(s). I fitted the 'working' gimmick in the inner compartment of one side (not the one with the slide) of my Kaps 'Card to Wallet' wallet and it's been there ever since. So I can choose what effect to do as I wish. It's a real mind-blower. Michael credits Himber in the instructions and Duo-Control is closely related as mentioned here by others. But for doing the business, I rate Synchronicity as the best.
zauber
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of zauber
I just received the Synchronicity III manuscript. Love it!!! I purchased based on recommendations from this site and in particular upon the recommendation of Harry Murphy/mumblepeas (THANKS HARRY!!, I really value your experience and insight)one of the moderators of the Café`. I found that I can use all components from the Instant Pro Wallet/pocket secretary by J. Cornelius for Synchronicity III without the added expense of another wallet that Tannens (apparently S-III only available now from Tannens as part of Stars of Magic Series) will try to sell you when you inquire about the effect.

It is interesting to me how the above is based on such similar methodology along with Duo Tech II and Deep Astonishment and probably others I'm not aware of --- sort of a "build a better mouse-trap" mindset.
"I'm still learning."
-----Michelangelo
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I meant I had Sinchronicity III in stock, I never mentioned "Out Of This Wallet".

I obtained stock from Tannen on my last visit to NY. Of course they wanted to supply me with wallets too, but I said no. Why pay for a wallet which can be any wallet!:)

Great routine.

Paul.
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
This was one of the first effects I bought when I started doing magic, and it is the one trick I still do if I want to floor someone and have little time to do it.
Make Everyday Magical
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » synchronicity III (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL