The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind's magazine test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1563 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Just wondering if this is impromptu, or do I need a special something? Smile
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2005-07-22 12:07, daddyof2 wrote:
Just wondering if this is impromptu, or do I need a special something Smile

No special "something". Just a little get ready. Well worth the price of the DVD.
WELL worth!!!!!!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
While you do not need anything "special", it can not be performed "impromptu" in that you do need to slightly and easily prepare the magazine beforehand and it would be helpful to have a certain type of mechanical pencil. It is a terrific and entertaining effect as most of Mr. Osterlind's efects and routines are.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Moreover, not all magazines are suited for the routine. Those with more text are easier to use.

Michael
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Has anyone located the correct writing tool (if you know what I mean) ? Exactly which one. i.e. maker and location to purchase maybe?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 22:45, Nicodemus wrote:
Has anyone located the correct writing tool (if you know what I mean) ? Exactly which one. i.e. maker and location to purchase maybe?

There is no "Correct" writing tool.

If you get a matching metal pen/pencil set you're all set up.

The explaination on the DVD is rather easy to follow along.

One thing I like about Osterlind, and Cassidy for that matter, is that the materials used are common place and can be self made.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Well from looking into local office supply shops not all pen & pencil sets will do the trick so to speak as in osterlind's DVD version.

The particular quality he mentions is not always part of the pen design. (Hope that is clear enough without exposing)

So, which set did YOU buy ?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Osterlind uses Cross pen & pencil set. I bought mine from Staples and they work exactly as needed for this effect. You'd almost think they were designed for it.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I have a Cross pen and pencil set. Mine doesn't work exactly the way Richard's does in the video. But it's fine. No one would ever notice. In fact, if you handled it right, you might be able to use the pencil OR pen in that set.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
It woudn-t be easier and cheaper to switch the pen than to spend many bucks in this set???

Regards
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Cheaper, - absolutely, but I don't think any easier.
The great thing about Richard's method is that it is so clean, with no moves or sleights.

I use exactly the same set as Richard uses in MM, Cross Medallion pen & pencil set, which works great.
It is not exactly free of charge (about $150,- in this country), but you can also get several other Cross models that ar cheaper, and probably will do the same.
So will also many of the other brands, which you can pick up at a Staples for a few bucks.

The reason why I chose mine was that they are nice and adds a little class to my act.

Sven
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-07-24 11:24, Sven Rygh wrote:
The great thing about Richard's method is that it is so clean, with no moves or sleights.

I use exactly the same set as Richard uses in MM, Cross Medallion pen & pencil set, which works great.
It is not exactly free of charge (about $150,- in this country), but you can also get several other Cross models that ar cheaper, and probably will do the same.
So will also many of the other brands, which you can pick up at a Staples for a few bucks.

The reason why I chose mine was that they are nice and adds a little class to my act.

Sven

For those in the UK, WH Smith sells mechanical pencil/pen sets. The costing is not really an issue as you're looking at at least £15.00 to start with.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2044 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Cassidy's Universe e-book has something similar which is worth checking out pertaining to this routine.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've thought about switching the pen/pencil. I think it could be done very nonchalantly but you'd have to choose your moments just right.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Just a tip: You can do a lot to a pen or pencil behind a spectators back and then change it again after the action without needing subterfuge. As the commercial says, "Just do it!"
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Quote:
On 2005-07-24 11:24, Sven Rygh wrote:

Sven

Hi Sven, actually the pen/pencil set that Richard uses is called: Medalist Set by Cross- classic century model. I'm sure that's what you meant though... Smile
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
True but all I think is you just need is a pen that opens by a twist (not the click type), and (without giving anything away), just a twist at the right time is all it takes. No one would be the wiser. I just got this DVD "The Act", and I LOVE it !!! The Magazine test kicks butt. Ed, (Eddini).

Quote:
On 2005-07-24 02:51, mindguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 22:45, Nicodemus wrote:

There is no "Correct" writing tool.

If you get a matching metal pen/pencil set you're all set up.

The explaination on the DVD is rather easy to follow along.

One thing I like about Osterlind, and Cassidy for that matter, is that the materials used are common place and can be self made.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 21:33, BT wrote:

Hi Sven, actually the pen/pencil set that Richard uses is called: Medalist Set by Cross- classic century model. I'm sure that's what you meant though... Smile

:)
You're absolutely right!
I'm gettinjg old(er) and my memory tricked me!

Sven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind's magazine test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL