The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Overcoming The Gag Reflex (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Droz was famous because when he played in the NFL he threw up in the huddle during a game. I think it was on Monday night football.
Smile
stine
View Profile
Regular user
TN
152 Posts

Profile of stine
I discovered that when you gag it's GOOD! that's when you realize your throat is open and ready to receive the sword.

The difficulty is in the "mentally willing" yourself from actually throwing up. You may, so practice on an fairly empty stomach.Your gag reflex will never go away and you wouldn't want it to. You'll just control it when you WANT to.

I first learned from a manuscript in the eighties called surprisingly enough "How to eat fire and swallow swords".(and now...two interesting side notes)

1) I was hired to work Knotts Berry farm in CA during their Halloween haunt. I created a character calle "Sado the Masochist" and did a sideshow set. The guy that WROTE the sword swallowing book was WORKING THERE TOO!!

2)I learned to swallow with 1/4 inch rod iron filed at the end to be round and smooth. I went to my doctor and asked him to watch me as I was having trouble and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself. He actually helped me position it and it WORKED. (this was after I had practiced enough not to gag)I had thought about using a sai and while visiting TC Tahoes house HE had one. I told him I could swallow it. He didn't believe me and so TC became my first demonstration.
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
To overcome it, if you still don't get it to fade you can also use a special ointment sold in drugstore that is swallowed before a fiber optic gastroscopy. Tastes like strawberry and stops the gag reflex for a short period of time.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
jmm1303
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
49 Posts

Profile of jmm1303
Vomiting is gross and if you want to do it at will you are either sick or getting paid a lot.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Just met a sword swallower @ Busker fest, he said this is one thing you really have to want to do.
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
I hear actors/actresses in movies performing a certain 'technique' use anaesthetic spray to take care of the gag reflex. Smile
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all

Please please PLEASE don't use any sort of anaesthetic spray on your throat!!!

You need to feel everything that is happening in your throat. Even the smallest cut could prove life threatening, and using anaesthetic would make it more likely you would cut yourself, and less likely you would notice. This is not a good idea!

Cheers all

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I want to try this. I'm thinking about buying 9" dagger to start. I know this is really dangerous, but I think it would be a cool stunt in my close-up act, or just to show people.

I've read the whole topic, but can anyone please post or PM with a method to get ready for it. In other words, what you did when you started out. Am I going to throw up the first time? I can do spaghetti down my throat with ease?

Sometimes, in the shower when I brush my tongue(with a toothbrush lol) I'll gag, in order to control it, should I keep doing that? Please, any advice would be great. Thank you:)
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Overcoming The Gag Reflex (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL