The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning my coins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-07-24 09:40, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
If you're doing a copper and silver type of routine of any sort, may I suggest that you never polish your copper coins? Polish the silver ones by all means, but remember that it's a lot easier to tell the difference between a dull dark dirty coin and a shiney bright one. I've seen shows where the magician used a bright copper and bright silver coin & it was pretty hard to tell the difference.

That's a great tip and exactly what I did when I performed effects using copper and silver coins (now I use a silver coin and a Chinese coin with a hole in it instead of a copper coin).

Many years ago a friend of mine who was a full-time metalworker suggested a polishing product entitled Tarnite and I've used it ever since.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Sounds crazy, many use Ketchup! Something about the acid.
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
A trick to clean silver coins:

Line the bottom of a bole with aluminum foil
Shake some baking soda on the aluminum foil on the bottom of the bole
Place coins on aluminum foil
Shake some baking soda on the top of the coins
Put warm tap water in the bole, enough to cover the coins
Waite 5-10 min
Rinse coins off
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I like to keep mine in my pocket. However shiny they become from the bouncing around in my pocket, is how shiny I want them for performances. If they look chromed, then to me, they are un-ordinary coins, like "special" coins.

Just my opinion.

However, for stage coin routines, shiny is good. They catch the light much better.

TomK
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
PABOLO - OLD HOME REMEDI: Use lemon juice with baking soda. Leave the coins sitting on a glass with the soda and juice for a couple of hours. Then jsut clean with a cloth.

Since you ar in Chile baking soda is called "Bicarbonato de Sodio". You can buy it in any drug store or pharmacy.
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
244 Posts

Profile of Carlo
So now I'm wondering...is there any substance that DOESN'T clean coins?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 18:46, Carlo wrote:

Um, dirt?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 18:46, Carlo wrote:

Urine wont clean em.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Coca Cola will clean them. Umm... I am betting tar won't clean them.

If you take a penny that has zinc in the middle, and put a small scratch on it, then soak it in The Works bowl cleaner, the result will be a very thin, shell of the penny. Maybe useful if you want to have a handful of change turn into glitter or powder... Hmm... that's an idea!

TomK
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
rmofsky
View Profile
New user
Boston
29 Posts

Profile of rmofsky
The MAAS stuff does work really well. Its really toxic so be sure to wash your coins with soap and water after.
www.adventuresintourism.com "...about the thrill of escape and the vehicles that take you there..."
rmofsky
View Profile
New user
Boston
29 Posts

Profile of rmofsky
The MAAS stuff does work really well. Its really toxic so be sure to wash your coins with soap and water after.
www.adventuresintourism.com "...about the thrill of escape and the vehicles that take you there..."
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I polish mine once a year with a silver polishing cloth, Can't quite remember the name of it, but it gets them looking very very shiney and they only need doing once a year!

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Pablo Leal
View Profile
Regular user
Chile
187 Posts

Profile of Pablo Leal
Thanks again for all your replies. At this point I've tried almost everything except urine, perhaps I'm skiping the vest solution... Smile For my silver coins I'm using something called Blitz's silver care cloth, wich seems to works very good. As for my copper coins I started following T. Joseph O'Malley's tip, and I've found out that copper and silver coins have, in fact, a better contrast if I just clean the silver ones. I thank you for that Joseph. My final salute to you all...

Cheers
Pablo
"The one that seeks for the truth takes the chance to find it". Isabel Allende

www.magopabloleal.com
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I ran a Google on this subject and got a lot of information from collectors more concerned with coin value. Since most magicians use coins in a manner that would cause collectors to pass out we have a little more freedom. One method I tried on a very worn 1922 silver dollar that was tarnished was a quick soak in amonia. It worked very well.I rinshed the coin thourghly and dried it. It looks much better and no sing of harm at all. If this make you nervous remimber I found it on a collectors site. Advice ran from never clean coins to pay a professional!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use Brasso.

I guess it's all about if the coins are chrome, copper, silver, gold or brass. And it also depends on if they need cleaning or polishing.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Wow, this topic has been discussed in many threads over the past few years. Here is the first mention that I remember. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3
There are some good ideas mentioned there -- some that seem to have grown in popularity, others that never saw another mention.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Don't buy anything - warm water toothpaste & toothbrush is all you need! Works like a charm on silver/copper coins real or gimmicked! Smile
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I do the same thing but with a plain baking soda/small amount of water and a toothbrush. Works just as well.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Just to throw it out there: I tried baking soda on one coin and tooth paste on another. Tooth paste is nice because it's the right wetness. It seems slightly more abrasive than plain baking soda, but not much.

With baking soda you have to add just the right amount of water to make a thick paste. Otherwise it dissolves and doesn't really clean the coins very well.

I will continue to use baking soda unless my coins are really dirty, then I will definitely be using toothpaste.
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
I have been using Simichrome Polish to clean my coins for years, and so have most of the magicians I know. I really had no idea that there were so many products and substances available to polish coins. Someone told me about trying toothpaste, but I never tried it so far. Going by what I have read in this thread, I think I will do some cleaning experiments with my coins one of these days...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cleaning my coins (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL