The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building a conveyor help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
I am wanting to build a small conveyor with an on/off switch. I would like for it to be about 3 feet long and about 4-6 inches wide.

I've tried looking on Ebay, but everything I've found there is really big.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to build this and where I could find the materials or where I could find a small electric conveyor?

Thanks,

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am not sure what you are trying to move, but I have had lots of experience with home building small conveyors.

I am a science teacher, and each year I have the kids build a functional model of an amusement park out of junk.

It is the free fall ride you will be interested in. It has a long elastic loop running up and over two dowles. One is the shaft of the motor. The elsatic (don't laugh) is usually the waistband of a pair of men's undershorts. A magnet is glued on the outside of this elastic and that lifts the car up and pulls away at the top allowing the car to drop. This absolutly does work. I hope it is of some use to you.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
If you want a heavier-duty conveyor, you might want to look into buying attachment chain. You can attach thin metal bars onto each connection point to get your desired width. After that just attach it to a sprocket and your power source of choice (motor, hand crank, gerbil on a treadmill). There you go: the tank tread of the conveyor belt world.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am not sure if this would work for your needs but make to wooden rollers. Think of a rolling pin. One is free moving and the other is powered. They are mounted on bracket above a flat mounting surface. Now get a large inner tube and slice it to make a rubber belt. There is your conveyor belt. Another way to make the belt is to use a naugahyde fabric or a string of leather. You can sew the ends together or use a very strong glue and lap them over. You might also want to look at lacing the leather like a drive belt on a lathe.

I hope this gets you thinking and helps some.

Just had another thought. Check at Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet and see if they small elevators to spread feed in bins for animals. Most guys use auger but they still might have some small ones available. Then do a search on eby. Let me know if you turn up anything.

Richard

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I just thought of this: Some snow blowers have rubber treads instead of wheels. They are all self contained (I beleive), all you would have to do is provide the rotational force to get them going. They are aprobably shorter than what you are looking for, but I just thought I would through it out there for you to think about.

Nick Fox

PS: If a mod wants to merge this with my previous post, feel free.
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Thanks for all the info. You've got my brain working. The conveyor I need will be for a stage routine that will have very light weight objects moving continously on them. I would like it to have a conveyor belt that moves horizontally with an on/off switch.

Does this sound like something you have seen somewhere? Or where I could buy a powered drive?

thanks,

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Do a search for material handling systems. I found a company that sells small portable conveyors.4" to 12' wide prices run $35 to $45 a running foot. Also look at www.minimover. com.

Since you are not doing much load on this I really would make it myself. I would also battery power it. There is a big surplus place in Dayton that you should check out. About 4 floors of stuff. Might get lucky or get an idea at least.

Richard.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi Mr. Hughs,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I forgot all about that surplus place here in town.

Could you tell me where you saw the place for $35-45 a square foot?
Thanks for all you do for me.

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The wheels for the belt could be made easily enough using rolling pins, PVC or sturdy tubes. As for the motor, the issues that need to be addressed are weight and speed. If using a belt, it may have a tendency to walk off center. A large fan belt with gear teeth could keep it centered , edge stops could be useful, however, they might produce unwanted noise.
As for the switch. If you need a foot control, try an air switch, used to power on/off table saws and the like.
Lastly, If you are completely stumped, contact Chance Wolf at Wolf Magic.

Good Luck,
Kregg
POOF!
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Dakota,
If you are not having any luck, PM me, I build machines for a real job and will be glad to discuss this with you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building a conveyor help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL