The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Safe to iron silks is it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Master of Deception
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Master of Deception
I have a trick where you need to crumple up a silk handkercheif and then turn it into a rose head.

It needs to have the creases to be removed.

So I wanna know, Is it safe to iron silk without destroying it?
The magic is in the magicians perfected performance.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Use low temperature and you will not have any trouble. However, try lying it flat or folded in a zip loc bag with the air burbed out. If you wet the silk and put it on a mirror or glass surface, it will dry and fall off without the wrinkles.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
You can also try to "steam press" the silks. It's like the one used by Laundry shops.

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Be careful with the steam press on printed silks. It could cause the dyes to run.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I use the mirror technique as Richard describes and it works great. Richard you rule when it comes to silks and feather flower magic.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I use a regular iron on its lowest temperature setting with minimal steam. It makes the silk come out smooth without causing the dye to run.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 12:12, hugmagic wrote:
If you wet the silk and put it on a mirror or glass surface, it will dry and fall off without the wrinkles.

Richard

THIS WORKS GREAT!!!
How simple. How elegant. How easy.

Someone please email Richard a Beer for me!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you ever saw what silks go through before they get to market, you would never fear ironing silks. Look at the new 2mm flat hems. (Yes, actually "flat" is different from simply "sewn down" to just pucker later. And they are square!)

Art silks and some printed silks are a different story depending on the processes used to put the images and colors onto or into (both are possible) the silks. The problem is not the silk!

There is a big difference in steaming a silk and ironing a wet silk. A wet silk may stick to the iron. That can cause a whole set of new problems. Likewise, any process that will snag or puncture a silk isn't recommended.

I've been in the import business since 1969. Magicians' silks are something I import and have used for forty-four years.

Never have I lost a silk to ironing!

(We often joke that the greatest threats to silk are magic and magicians. Try to avoid poking them in the center. It seldom tears the silk but it will separate the weave.)

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
When ever I get new silks (like yesterday) I iron them asap. But there are still traces of the creases. Any ideas how to get them out (aside from time).

Derek Merdinyan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We carry a little portable steamer on the road with us. You live in a damp environment too. Just hanging might work.

Even ironed in creases will usually iron right out with a hot iron.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Wetting the silk and putting on the glass will work. Don't mix colors when you do it.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I iron my silk shirts, why not a silk silk? Due to ignorance, if nothing else, I have ironed silks ever since I began using them about 20 years ago without a problem. Yes, occasionally a stubborn crease remains, and can be removed via Richard's glass method (but then you have more things to clean ... your windows and mirrors!), but for the most part simply use a standard iron at medium to low heat.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
When using the mirror or glass trick, does one have the mirror/glass horizontal, or does one "stick" the wet silk to a vertical mirror/glass?

Sorry for sounding so dim!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Either way will work. I usually like it vertical so the water runs out faster.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 15:10, Foucault wrote:
When using the mirror or glass trick, does one have the mirror/glass horizontal, or does one "stick" the wet silk to a vertical mirror/glass?

Sorry for sounding so dim!

That certainly is not a dumb question! The real bottom line is use what is available.

I have used counter tops, large windows, shower stall walls, shower doors, and bathtubs. I don't recommend these other surfaces because they are frequently dirty, soapy, poorly ventilated, etc. But they will work horizontally or vertically. What you are seeking is dry, flat, smooth, clean, safe, and a place where a falling silk can fall to safety.

Mirrors are simply larger and cleaner than most available surfaces. Often they are not large enough for your “wash day”. Then you’ll need Plan B.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Thanks for the clarification, guys! Rest assured, at this stage, my "wash day" is not huge!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 23:05, Foucault wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, guys! Rest assured, at this stage, my "wash day" is not huge!

Nobody has too many silks until it is time to wash them!

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
Hi!

Yes it is safe to iron silks, but it is even safer to avoid ironing:) I learned from McBride`s DVD on stage magic that if you gently tie silks onto a magician rope and keep them hanging there they shall not wrinkle. This works for me:)

Regards
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wash in Woolite and steam iron. Put the iron on the silk setting. The wrinkles or creases will disappear like real magic. Don't forget to apply pressure while ironing and keep the iron moving.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I gotta hand it to Richard... Wetting silk and sticking it to a mirror makes the wrinkles just go away.

btw: what's an iron? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Safe to iron silks is it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL