The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Safe to iron silks is it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22840 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't want to go and buy a sheet of glass to lay the wet silks on. I don't have enough window space in my small apartment to hold all the silks. As for mirrors, I only have one small mirror in the bath room and I can't see my self if I stick a silk on it. Plus, it will not hold a 18" silk.

So I steam iron.

If I had a mirror, won't your wife make you clean the mirror! Extra work, not for me! Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
A number of years ago, I had read somewhere (perhaps it was in the Rice books) not to wash silks in Woolite because it puts an undesireable film/coating on them. I'm kind of sketchy on the details, but the advice got my attention because I previously had always washed my silks in woolite.

Can someone confirm if this advice is good or not?

Ron
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I iron silks on a lower heat setting and I usually don't use any steam at all. I got water on some of my silks and it left spots that will not come out. Has anyone else this problem?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

Often the water spots will come out if you will wash them again in Woolite or baby shampoo, rinse them out well and dry them on a piece of glass or a mirror. Sometimes it is the water itself that makes the ring.

Hang in there!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hey, thanks Bob!

I had concluded that the water was the culprit. I am always reluctant to use steam or wash them because of the few that got those stubborn stains.

Hope you had a good trip!

Regan
Mister Mystery
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
You can also use a small piece of Muslin (a fabric used in sewing) to place between your iron and the silk. This will allow you to increase the heat of the iron a bit and still protect the silk. Available really inexpensively at any fabric store.
indysmagic
View Profile
New user
cherokee, tx
63 Posts

Profile of indysmagic
If you are in a pinch or need to get the wrinkles out quickly, try using a blow dryer while the silks are on the mirror. I'm amazed at how quickly they dry.
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
Here's another tip, if anyone has this problem. To avoid any static in the silks after ironing them, I spray the silks with a light mist of water/ liquid Downy. This does not harm them and keeps them from have that static cling from the iron.

John
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Mirror? Wouldn't a outside glass work better with the sun? No?
Tarbell!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
The problem with washing silks for the first time is that it loses its crisp and shine. It no longer looks like a brand new silk. It also becomes soft. Is there anything one can do to restore its crisp and shine? Have you tried spraying it with starch or something?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Another tip let the silks cool before stuffing them into a prop. Silk is hallow and holds the heat for awhile. If you load them while they are warm they will become wrinkled. I have been wetting and hanging mine on glass for years. Not sure where I first heard of that, I think from Ginn.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Safe to iron silks is it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL