The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chaos from Prism (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PhilippO
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of PhilippO
Anyone knows where I can get the gimmick for this effect?
(maybe from a dealer in europe)

help would be appreciated!

cheers
Philipp
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
I just use one o'those poppy things from a joke shop
PhilippO
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of PhilippO
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 18:43, Hexagon wrote:
I just use one o'those poppy things from a joke shop

Thanks hexagon, but can you be a little bit more accurate?

What are thoes poppy things? What do they look like...?

cheers
Philipp
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
I was a little out of it when I posted that, I'll have a look and see if I can find the name for you.
Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
142 Posts

Profile of Wizard
I had such a disk many years ago,searched in all my drawers but cannot find it. As Max wrote,the Edmund Company has it no longer in their lists and I checked it. Have intensely browsed the Internet but could not find any manufacturer or seller. I too would be delighted if anyone has a source to buy it from.
FINIS CORONAT OPUS
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
Oh by the way, they are small discs of rubber that do exactly the same thing as the gimmick in chaos, harder to get rid of without the spectator glimpsing it though
PhilippO
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of PhilippO
I know those rubber discs, but they must hit the floor to start moving, no time delay.
And it is hard to get rid of them.

Let's find the real gimmick!!!
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
No no, there is a time delay, I use mine all the time for 'Chaos', I've been looking but no luck yet, I don't think they sell... but I'm with you on finding the real gimmick, it would be nice and clean to use, keep us up to date on your searchings, I'll try and find one too
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Quote:
On 2005-07-31 07:18, Hexagon wrote:
Oh by the way, they are small discs of rubber that do exactly the same thing as the gimmick in chaos, harder to get rid of without the spectator glimpsing it though

What are the rubber disks called? I too have looked, to no avail. The metal disks are not in cyber space.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
There were toys called 'hopper poppers', or something along those lines. Will have to reread the effect, to see if they're the same thing.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2444 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
These "poppers" can be made by cutting a small, HOLLOW rubber ball in two. Works great. Less filling.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
kozai
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of kozai
The rubber disc novelty commonly found in vending machines go by the name of "eye poppers." If you need a source for the plastic version of these, they can be purchased from a novelty catalog put out by "Oriental Trading Company." These do pop by themselves and do not need to be dropped to go off. I have included a link to the search page below.

[Edit: the long URL seems to cause problems in this page's formatting so it has been removed]

Go to http://www.orientaltrading.com/ and search for "eye poppers" and you will get quite a few styles to choose from for very little cost.

I don't believe the metal version commonly used for physics demonstations can be found any longer but I'll search and report any findings.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Geesh, those **** disk again. I remember going through hell looking for those jumping disk for a Docc Hillford effect. You can make them rather easily. It is not really time comsuming, but rather a pain in the hindside, but it can be done.

me
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2005-07-31 06:56, Wizard wrote:
I had such a disk many years ago,searched in all my drawers but cannot find it. As Max wrote,the Edmund Company has it no longer in their lists and I checked it. Have intensely browsed the Internet but could not find any manufacturer or seller. I too would be delighted if anyone has a source to buy it from.

I had one years ago also that I bought for the effect. One side had the look of a quarter, albeit one-dimensional.

Mine has also disappeared. Perhaps they had a shelf-life that we did not know about!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

I looked up the eye poppers in the orientaltrading company catalog. They looked very big. I thought the idea was for the jumping disk to be "invisible"
kozai
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of kozai
The mini version is only 1" and some black paint could help with invisibility. I have looked for the metal version and while I can still find references to them, no one seems to sell these.
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
I've been looking and I find that there are many references to the metal discs in pages about physics, they are some sort of Physics toy, so maybe a school physics equipment supply store?

Quote:
On 2005-07-31 16:38, mormonyoyoman wrote:
These "poppers" can be made by cutting a small, HOLLOW rubber ball in two. Works great. Less filling.

*jeep!
--Chet

Thank you, wonderful idea
kozai
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of kozai
The official gimmick it turns out is called a "Spencer Disk"... surprisingly I found a page with the history of the device here:

http://members.aol.com/spencerlab/history/al/al.htm

You can see the device printed with the Edmund Scientific Company name as well as a demo video here:

http://faraday.physics.uiowa.edu/heat/4A30.40.htm

Seems this "toy" is actually a part of a thermostatic switch and are indeed still manufactured today, if someone really wants one, you could likely contact a company that manufactures them (including Klixon, which is now owned by Texas Instruments) for a "sample" which you could remove the disc from. Turns out that these little devices go by quite a few names:

* Thermal switches
* Thermo-Snap
* Thermo Disc
* Thermal discs
* Klixon
* Bimetal discs
* Snap discs
* Spencer discs
* Jumping discs
* Snap Action Disc

Hope this helps... or at least provides some more search terms for us to continue looking for a better source.

Edit: From a Thermodynamics Teacher's web page:

Save those poppers!

For years we have given away "poppers" in our courses. These bi-metal discs, a great example of Thermal Thinking®, jump a couple of feet in the air when thermally stressed.

If you are the proud owner of a "popper," you may want to tuck it away somewhere safe. It is now a collectible! We were saddened to discover recently that the company that sold them, Edmund's Scientific, no longer does so. In fact, the person who made them-and who held the patent on them-passed away, and the machinery with which he punched out millions of these wonderful little discs has been sold for scrap. The world is a sadder place for the loss of the famous jumping discs.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Here is a link to a search of distributers of bimetal disk thermastats. I haven't tried to contact any of them.

Click Here!
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
This company has circular, bimetal discs on their products page.

http://www.bdg-el.it/bimetal.html
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chaos from Prism (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL