The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When I buy an Osterlind DVD what am I buying? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
At the risk from misquoting a manuscript by Whit Haydin, New routines should first be mastered exactly as the master teaches them. THen when you have mastered the routine yourself and understand why the patter and blocking was done as it was done, start to make small changes to make it more your own. I believe that his wonderfull essay is in "The Chicago Suprise" manuscript. My experience has taught me that the patter that others use does not get the same audience response as the teacher, in most cases, but not all. Some routines have been done with very close patter and excellent results.

Michael
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
You can change the words to Shakespeare's plays, cross-cast (female actors in male roles or vice-versa), and cut lines or even entire scenes because his work is in the public domain. For plays that are still protected by copyright, the standard licensing agreement a theater company signs with a playwright (or their representative play service) prevents the director or actors from changing so much as one word without the playwright's permission. David Mamet, in particular, protects his works ferociously and has forced theater companies to change their cast so that all actors were of the same gender as the characters they portrayed.

Curt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When I buy an Osterlind DVD what am I buying? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL