The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Was Mind Freak good for magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is a simple and complex question let me ask it right. Was Mind Freak good for magic? Not did you like it? But was it GOOD for magic in general?

Example. David Blaine was good for magic. I personally would rather have a sledge hammer smash my right hand flat than bear to listen to him speak or watch him perform. But the bottom line was he was GOOD for magic, and frankley still is to a point.

The Masked Magician ultimately may have been good for magic. Bringing it to the front of peoples minds and such.

Was Chris Angel in this category? Personally I think not. Again I would not watch him again by choice, but I don't feel he was good in any way, aside maybe from his pre show ads.

Let me know what you think.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
He was good for me.

Jack

H.O.A_X
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Definitely good.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
It was a luke warm. OK.
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
No, because the manner of filming creates false expectations about what is possible.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Too soon to tell. The proof is in the pudding!
I think it is or will be good in the long run.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Also the filming shows what is boring and not engaging.

I doubt many of us will have to feild the expectations that the origianl Blain special generated.

Jack

H.O.A_X
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 20:13, Euangelion wrote:
No, because the manner of filming creates false expectations about what is possible.

It's the impossible, its not possible either way. I would say it created better hope for what can be achieved, rather than false expectations of what can be achieved.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Good thought Scott.

Logical and clear.

Thanks man.

Jack

H.O.A_X
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Not good for magic as it appeared to be more of a special effects show right out of Hollywood instead of a magic show..I could watch reruns of Fred Kaps for hours instead of 10 minutes of Cris Angels special effects seminar..
He may have a series and make big bucks, but I did not care for his effects at all, more power to him but no help for magicians..Again my opinion which is what this topic asked for...
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 23:53, Rennie wrote:
Not good for magic as it appeared to be more of a special effects show right out of Hollywood instead of a magic show..I could watch reruns of Fred Kaps for hours instead of 10 minutes of Cris Angels special effects seminar..
He may have a series and make big bucks, but I did not care for his effects at all, more power to him but no help for magicians..Again my opinion which is what this topic asked for...
Rennie

So it did not help magic because it had special effects?
Thanks! Scott B.

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 00:06, scott b. wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 23:53, Rennie wrote:
Rennie

So it did not help magic because it had special effects?

Scott,
Again my opinion, it did not come off as a magic special to me. I have not heard anyone at work ask me about it, unlike when Copperfield is on.
This was the only "MAGIC" show I started to watch without taping it.His show was similar to David Blaine except co-workers ask about Davids effects as they seem more like magic..
Again my opinion only, not trying to knock anyone..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
I think it's hard to say.

It was on cable, which I don't have, so I did not see the show.
I don't know anyone with cable or dish that saw the show.

The overnight numbers that I heard quoted here was something like 1.8 million viewers. That really is not a lot of people. The population of the USA is 295,734,134 people currently. That means that over 293,000,000 people DID NOT see it.

We will wait and see what kind of impact it has.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 20:13, Euangelion wrote:

LOL wow... Its supposed to me magic bud... you know, impossibility... I have no clue what you could possibly of meant by that post..

It was awesome... people loved it...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The Mind Freak has magicians talking,,,, but not people per se.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I disagree... I have had 2 shows since the special aired on Wednesday and they all asked about it... If you think a magic special only has magicians talking, maybe you spend too much time with magicians altogether....
barkmagicman
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of barkmagicman
It was a joke and makes magic look more like a side show stunt done by overbearing goth's than actual well thought out and entertaining art.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Eric, I guess it depends on the market and location you work.

No response here at all in the East coast USA.

In fact one question about Blaine at the last show.

Jack

H.O.A_X
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 18:48, barkmagicman wrote:
It was a joke and makes magic look more like a side show stunt done by overbearing goth's than actual well thought out and entertaining art.

Isn't a sideshow also an entertaining art? There's is an entire forum here at the Café for sideshows, so I must say that it makes magic look like something positive.

Scott
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 16:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
The Mind Freak has magicians talking,,,, but not people per se.

I'd say it has some people talking. I noticed on a few talk shows they did stories on Criss (The Soup being the best, tossed humor around about him singing the theme song and his shaved chest) Smile
Thanks! Scott B.

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I've said this before and this is only my opinion. I think in person he's probably a great performer. Now, I'm not trying to give secrets away or figure things out. I just think a lot of it was set-up, and "possibly" editing done during the garbage can vanish. I also think audiences at home aren't stupid and could come up with that. I like Copperfield, and Blaine better. Even though Blaine "cheated", I think he was a bit better. To me there's what I call "legitimate cheating", such as sleight-of-hand, and gimmicks, and then there is "illegitimate cheating", by stooges, editing, camera tricks... etc. Don't get me wrong any magician show is good as it puts magic in people's minds. How you define "cheating" is up to you. Those are just my personal thoughts on it. I think David Blaine is better because he did legitimate close-up magic that we're all as magicians are familiar with. That's what I like, not necessarily his stunts, though his being in ice was slightly amazing. Anyway just my humble opinion. Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Was Mind Freak good for magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL